Dion Dawkins or Matt Milano

elijah

Dion Dawkins or Matt Milano?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If you can only retain 1 next off-season, which player?

• Dion Dawkins
    • Matt Milano

12 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I am really curious about Milano’s value. He’s a great player and I love the guy. He’s just smallish for a lot of schemes. As of right now 2021 UFA is pretty stacked off ball linebacker wise with Lavonte David, KJ Wright, Demario Davis, Anthony Walker, Denzel Perryman. Its so hard to place that position and there is a lot of variation. Like a guy like Nick Kwiatoski got 7 million a year while Nick Vigil got 1 year 2.4 million dollar deal. I feel like they are comparable players. 

Milano’s closest comp size wise is Kwon Alexander, and he makes 13.5 million per year. Or a guy like Deion Jones at 14 million. Is Milano really on that level? I feel like he is closer to a 6-8 million dollar a year type of player. I think he is a must sign, but you never know when someone comes calling with bags of money. 

I think Milano is worth at least 12 million a year. There is no chance he'll sign for 6-8. He plays at a pro bowl level even if he hasn't gotten that recognition yet at the national level.

EDIT: Just looked it up and Spotrac values him at 13 million a year, which would make him the 7th highest paid OLB. Looks right to me.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

They're both very average starters, but LB's are so much easier to replace and OT's are more valuable. I like Milano, but I'd have to go with Dawkins here.

Dawkins is average but Milano is definately above average and he'll get paid like it. But if I had to choose one it would be Dawkins because oline, especially left tackle, is more important and more difficult to keep strong.

• Like (+1) 1

I like Milano, I think he's solid and has a knack for creating turnovers. Defense in '18 looked different without him. However, with McDermott being a defense guy, he'd have an easier time replacing Milano than he would Dawkins. Plus, Dion's a captain/team leader. 

35 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think Milano is worth at least 12 million a year. There is no chance he'll sign for 6-8. He plays at a pro bowl level even if he hasn't gotten that recognition yet at the national level.

EDIT: Just looked it up and Spotrac values him at 13 million a year, which would make him the 7th highest paid OLB. Looks right to me.

Dawkins is average but Milano is definately above average and he'll get paid like it. But if I had to choose one it would be Dawkins because oline, especially left tackle, is more important and more difficult to keep strong.

Thanks for the response. I love Milano, but that market value just seems high to me. I’m super curious what the demand will be. Is he really the 7th best 4-3 OLB linebacker in the league? I’m not sure. I hope we resign him, whatever the cost is, but I’m interested to see how it plays out. 

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Not a huge Milano fan. Too small and struggles sometimes in tackling. Watching him bounce off Watson made me sick. Give me Dawkins every day. 

I agree with this... but in fairness, pretty sure hughes screwed the pooch on a game changing sack on Watson too. Could be wrong though.

2 hours ago, Cal said:

I think Milano is more valuable 

I think he's a better LB than Dawkins is an LT.  Milano has the skill set to thrive in McD 's scheme due to instinct and coverage abilities but he's not a thumper.   Unfortunately it doesn't mean he'll take priority. Having a competent LT is far more valuable unless that LB is a Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis or a player of that ilk which Milano is obviously not.

Wow the love Dion Dawkins gets on this message board is unbelievable.  Do any of you think he is really that good?  Maybe my expectations are too high.  But I just don't see him manhandling defenders on a regular basis.  And DE's seem to get around him pretty regularly.  He doesn't suck.  But paying him $15 mill with a bunch of guaranteed money just doesn't seem right to me.  Dude does not seem to play with a mean streak, just beating the snot out of guys.  Seems almost too nice. (I guess I am still living in the world of the 1970's and 80's Oakland Raiders-just mean bad ass dudes.  The world of Darryl Talley and Leonard Smith)  

I like Milano.  But he is not a thumper.  But he does make plays.  I would offer him 4 years 35 mill if the Bills want to keep him.  Noone is paying him more then that.  If AJ Klein got 3 years and 18 million, Milano is not worth a whole lot more.  

3 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Thanks for the response. I love Milano, but that market value just seems high to me. I’m super curious what the demand will be. Is he really the 7th best 4-3 OLB linebacker in the league? I’m not sure. I hope we resign him, whatever the cost is, but I’m interested to see how it plays out. 

He may not be the 7th best, but it's his turn to get paid, so he will be. And in a couple years he will be paid average starter money.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

not really debatable imo

Dawkins plays a way more important position and he's better at it than Milano is at LB

I don't know about Dawkins being better at his position then Milano is at his.  I think they both are even at their position.  One question we might want to ask is, could we keep Milano and upgrade the LT position?

2 hours ago, NoName said:

I don't know about Dawkins being better at his position then Milano is at his.  I think they both are even at their position.  One question we might want to ask is, could we keep Milano and upgrade the LT position?

Dawkins is an above average LT. Milano at this point is replacement level.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/4/9/21208603/buffalo-bills-interested-in-extending-lb-matt-milano-lt-dion-dawkins

Buffalo Bills interested in extending LB Matt Milano, LT Dion Dawkins

“In my perfect world, guys like Matt and Dion, I would love to get them extended here long term on what I call is a win-win. A win for the Bills and a win for those guys’ person, said Beane. “We’ve obviously invested a lot [in them]. They were drafted here in ‘17. And again, the guys that fit like they do; fit the DNA, show the physical skill sets, and bring what they bring, you’d love to [give them new contracts].”

Beane didn’t mention if he had begun contract negotiations with either player, but his next line could give an indication.

It won’t be cheap for either of them.........

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Figured that would get posted here sooner or later. The article is a whole lot of nothin.

It's also tough to gauge the true market for OLBs since Spotrac and other sources list a lot of high-paid pass-rushing DEs as "OLB" since they play in a 3-4.

I think his projection for Milano at $12M/yr is way high. Unless Milano has an amaaaazing season (which wouldnt be the worst thing in the world).

Other than that, there is no news in this article. No confirmations on whether Beane has even tried starting extension talks or not.