Dion Dawkins or Matt Milano

elijah

Dion Dawkins or Matt Milano?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. If you can only retain 1 next off-season, which player?

• Dion Dawkins
    • Matt Milano

Dawkins and it isn’t close. 
Im going to say unless Milano will take $8 mil or less, which I doubt, he is gone. Already starting to see him get dinged. Milano is an undersized LB who plays with heart and above his physical talent level. I don’t think his body will hold up. 

38 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Not a huge Milano fan. Too small and struggles sometimes in tackling. Watching him bounce off Watson made me sick. Give me Dawkins every day. 

I’m a little higher but he had an up and down season.  I’m hoping for a very big season during his contract year 

• Like (+1) 1

This is one time I believe that Spotrac is way off on Milano's worth.

Bills are not going to pay him anywhere near that money and they will let Matt test the FA market.

I believe he may not get anywhere near that from another team too.

Matt and his agent need to think out what they want and be very careful what route they go.

If he chases a bigger contract and doesn't fit into their scheme he might not make the full life of the deal.

He knows he has a home in Buffalo so think carefully Matt.

• Like (+1) 1

I will not pick one. Because math is easy. LT is where the Value is of course

But i am not letting go of Milano. Nor do i feel Bills will need to. so i do not care for the poll to much . no offense as fair question in general.
Milano is Bills type of player. He fits the schemes

Bills are one LB away from being very very strong  this year. And Milano brings it each game and will be a key player to our success.

not an either or. Matt is a situational player whom will get paid as such. Rewarded for his work I sure hope.

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If we could get Dion for 4/$57.5M ($14.375M avg), I dont think that's overpaying much even for a mid-tier LT. Especially in another year or two. If anything, I'd like to see if we couldnt add another year and do 5/$73.75M. A starting LT at >$15M in 2023-2025 would be a steal.

I was talking to someone who suggested doing 6yrs/$90M for Dawkins and making the guarantees very heavily front loaded and that struck me as a good idea as well

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I’ve always said that Milano is the odd man out...just can’t justify paying him that much when Edmunds will command more...just draft another OLB...

Wouldn’t be surprised if his replacement is drafted this year even. He is unique in his ability to cover like he did against White of the Patriots! Not many  linebackers can pull that off. Still gotta go with Dawkins!

If I had to choose it would be Dawkins but I don't think it comes down to that. Possible moves:

• Ford still on rookie deal, they will not pay 2 starting guards a combined $11.75 million, Feliciano may not be back and in the spreadsheet that's $6.5M
  • Lee Smith cut saves $2.5M
  • Don't pick up Spencer Long's club option saves $4.35M (also see guard spend - they wouldn't have $16 million tied up in position)
  • Hughes either gets restructured or released depending on what kind of season he has could see 1 year added to stretch the money. 
  • Star L. could be in perpetual restructure until released
  • John Brown and Beasley could get extended and bring their cap #s down

Bottom line is Beane has a good cap management system based on how he structures contracts, if they want to keep both he has the tools to do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Possible moves:

• Ford still on rookie deal, they will not pay 2 starting guards a combined $11.75 million, Feliciano may not be back and in the spreadsheet that's $6.5M

Some teams pay one guard $11M..so for both it’s not an outrageous cost..

I hope they will extend Feliciano a couple of years..He provides that flexibility to fill in at C if Morse gets another head knock... heck...maybe they could move him there full time after this year and trade Morse..

I like Spain too but his deal is essentially year to year and they can move on from him after this year..

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

They can afford both and have $ for next year so how they manipulate $ will not be a problem.  If either commands too much than that will be the deciding factor.  You can’t make that decision as that is assuming you can only afford one.  I appreciate the thread, but it’s like giving you’re wife an ultimatum when there really isn’t one.

We most likely will keep both of they are not unreasonable in their requests/demands.

They will easily be able to retain both. Wait til you see what the cap goes to after the new TV deals. Increases of at least 30-50 million per team.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

If I had to choose it would be Dawkins but I don't think it comes down to that. Possible moves:

• Lee Smith cut saves $2.5M
  • Don't pick up Spencer Long's club option saves $4.35M (also see guard spend - they wouldn't have $16 million tied up in position)
  • Hughes either gets restructured or released depending on what kind of season he has could see 1 year added to stretch the money. 
  • Star L. could be in perpetual restructure until released
  • John Brown and Beasley could get extended and bring their cap #s down

Bottom line is Beane has a good cap management system based on how he structures contracts, if they want to keep both he has the tools to do it. 

You’re right. And the cap strategy we’ve seen seems solids.

not sure Milano getting huge money is a thing that they’ll need to worry about. But good LTs are paramount. Milano’s replacement might already be on the roster. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

4 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that was a freak play. We would have won that game if that would have broke any other way. Blech.

I agree with the general thought process above, however.

Trust me that's hardly the first time I've seen him miss a tackle.  He'll never be a "blow em up" kinda guy. Great in pass coverage because of his speed but his strength in tackling is weak.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

In his free agency presser, Beane already seemed to be hedging on the subject, suggesting that it will depend on how much they want. He won't overspend. 

I think you have to keep the o line together.  There's always another Joseph coming along, but a hole in the line is a problem. 

I picked Dawkins because of the position he plays. You can make the argument that Milano is the better position player but Dion's position is the one of most importance. IMO Dion is a slight to above average LT and in today's NFL that's worth retaining. I could probably name 10 LTs that I'd rather have. Dion is a class act though and that carries weight with this regime.

Edited by billsbackto81

Why can't the Bills keep both? A good LT is obviously more important and harder to come by, so in an absolute have-to-choose scenario, yeah you keep Dion, but I'm shocked at the diss at Milano. Dude has been a ball hawk and can play!

I am really curious about Milano’s value. He’s a great player and I love the guy. He’s just smallish for a lot of schemes. As of right now 2021 UFA is pretty stacked off ball linebacker wise with Lavonte David, KJ Wright, Demario Davis, Anthony Walker, Denzel Perryman. Its so hard to place that position and there is a lot of variation. Like a guy like Nick Kwiatoski got 7 million a year while Nick Vigil got 1 year 2.4 million dollar deal. I feel like they are comparable players. 

Milano’s closest comp size wise is Kwon Alexander, and he makes 13.5 million per year. Or a guy like Deion Jones at 14 million. Is Milano really on that level? I feel like he is closer to a 6-8 million dollar a year type of player. I think he is a must sign, but you never know when someone comes calling with bags of money. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

The question is whether Milano wants to win or make more because I believe someone will pay him more than us but I doubt they will be a good team because he is a player who is only good when he can fly around and the other players keep him from getting hit