I think the Bills are done with Free-Agency until after the Draft.

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This.

I keep hearing Clowney to the jets on a one year deal.  Why the jets? Why not join this beastly D and make bigger bucks next year?  

I think we can make up the 9 mil difference between clowney and Murphy somewhere.

If not clowney, Markus Golden.  He’d be perfect in a rotation with Jerry and Mario

According to Spotrac the Bills without EJ Gaines and D.Williams calculated have about 23 million in cap space for the top 51. The Bills do need 5 million for the rookie pool and typically GM's like to have about 8 million for emergency signings. So that only leaves the Bills with about 10 million in "pure" cap space. They could easily cut Trent Murphy for 8 million in space and then Lee Smith for another 1.75 million. Those are the only "easy" cuts on the roster that I see. The rest of the possible cuts would sacrifice depth or more useful role players. 

Now that does not factor in D.Williams and EJ Gaines contracts. I doubt Gaines is anything other than the vet minimum. D.Williams could be a deal above the minimum in the 2-3 million range. So assuming a generous 3 million dollar deal for D.Williams (Just to overestimate) that probably leaves the Bills with about 8 million in real cap space. 

So the Bills could cut Murphy and Lee Smith and have about 16-17.5 million in cap space to offer Clowney on a one year deal. I think that would be competitive with what a team like the Jets or Cleveland (2 teams with more than 30 million in cap space) could offer. As far as Markus Golden I wouldn't hate it but I think he would be a marginal upgrade over Trent and I would rather draft a DE in round 2 or 3 and roll over the cap space to ease the extensions in 2021. 

43 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

According to Spotrac the Bills without EJ Gaines and D.Williams calculated have about 23 million in cap space for the top 51. The Bills do need 5 million for the rookie pool and typically GM's like to have about 8 million for emergency signings. So that only leaves the Bills with about 10 million in "pure" cap space. They could easily cut Trent Murphy for 8 million in space and then Lee Smith for another 1.75 million. Those are the only "easy" cuts on the roster that I see. The rest of the possible cuts would sacrifice depth or more useful role players. 

Now that does not factor in D.Williams and EJ Gaines contracts. I doubt Gaines is anything other than the vet minimum. D.Williams could be a deal above the minimum in the 2-3 million range. So assuming a generous 3 million dollar deal for D.Williams (Just to overestimate) that probably leaves the Bills with about 8 million in real cap space. 

So the Bills could cut Murphy and Lee Smith and have about 16-17.5 million in cap space to offer Clowney on a one year deal. I think that would be competitive with what a team like the Jets or Cleveland (2 teams with more than 30 million in cap space) could offer. As far as Markus Golden I wouldn't hate it but I think he would be a marginal upgrade over Trent and I would rather draft a DE in round 2 or 3 and roll over the cap space to ease the extensions in 2021. 

murphy and smith is 10 millish.  Clowney likely 17ish.  7 mill difference.  I want a super bowl, and Clowney can make the biggest difference of any player available.....and we can’t make it happen over 7 mill?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

murphy and smith is 10 millish.  Clowney likely 17ish.  7 mill difference.  I want a super bowl, and Clowney can make the biggest difference of any player available.....and we can’t make it happen over 7 mill?  

This is all hypothetical as we don't know if Clowney's price tag is coming down just yet or if he would accept a one year deal at this moment. I agree if the cost of upgrading Trent Murphy's roster spot is 7 million plus Lee Smith I do it. Especially since a one year deal for Clowney doesn't impact the team's cap situation long term beyond a little bit of roll over. 

BUT I think the Bills should monitor the situation and wait in the wings with a 18 million dollar one year offer. I would even still consider a DE in round 2 or 3 even if they swap Clowney for Murphy just to get younger a deeper behind the older Hughes and Addision. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

This is all hypothetical as we don't know if Clowney's price tag is coming down just yet or if he would accept a one year deal at this moment. I agree if the cost of upgrading Trent Murphy's roster spot is 7 million plus Lee Smith I do it. Especially since a one year deal for Clowney doesn't impact the team's cap situation long term beyond a little bit of roll over. 

BUT I think the Bills should monitor the situation and wait in the wings with a 18 million dollar one year offer. I would even still consider a DE in round 2 or 3 even if they swap Clowney for Murphy just to get younger a deeper behind the older Hughes and Addision. 

Yes, this is a message board.  It’s always hypothetical.  But yes, we agree.  

super bowl or bust

9 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Ngakoue or Clowney are still in play. We have the cap space for either of them. Jacksonville might be willing to take two second rounders (this year and next) or a conditional first next year along with Trent Murphy for Ngakoue. 

Ngakoue's trade market is drying up - all his obvious suitors (Eagles, Jets, Seahawks)  have cap constraints. Titans appear to be the only team which can compete with the Bills. But they run a base 3-4 - not sure how Ngakoue will do in that. Also, Jags' OC (Jay Gruden) coached Murphy while with the Redskins and was very complimentary of Murphy even when the latter was suspended. So I am still keeping fingers crossed on Ngakoue.

There is NO WAY they're getting Ngakoue. The cost is a 1st and more. We don't have a first. We're not going to give up next year's first and go two years in a row without one. They're paying both Hughes and Addison starting money to do just that. No way they'd put that much of their salary cap into THREE DE's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Ngakoue or Clowney are still in play. We have the cap space for either of them. Jacksonville might be willing to take two second rounders (this year and next) or a conditional first next year along with Trent Murphy for Ngakoue. 

Ngakoue's trade market is drying up - all his obvious suitors (Eagles, Jets, Seahawks)  have cap constraints. Titans appear to be the only team which can compete with the Bills. But they run a base 3-4 - not sure how Ngakoue will do in that. Also, Jags' OC (Jay Gruden) coached Murphy while with the Redskins and was very complimentary of Murphy even when the latter was suspended. So I am still keeping fingers crossed on Ngakoue.

Yuck, try to get a top tier player for that much like Joey Bosa

14 hours ago, Logic said:

He'll sign a couple more one-year, vet minimum types.

I'm thinking a backup offensive lineman and a running back.

ppl he can trade away and get some more 5,6,7th round picks for next year. :)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yes, this is a message board.  It’s always hypothetical.  But yes, we agree.  

super bowl or bust

I wouldn't say it is Super Bowl or bust for this team BUT I would say that the bar is in my mind set at winning the division and a playoff game as a minimum for the season to not be a disappointment. Now if they get Clowney I would then upgrade to Conference Championship game as a minimum. 

But Allen is still a young QB and I think Super Bowl or nothing expectations are a bit high. I get thinking this team can go all the way but I also think that it is a bit much to expect Allen to make the jump from decent QB with flaws to someone who can win 3-4 playoff games. 

On 4/3/2020 at 12:53 PM, First Round Bust said:

I think we will add a vet running back at some point  as I do like Lamar Miller as he is coming off ACL tear last Aug and also D Freeman and Carlos Hyde is also out there...the price drops as the days go by I assume...

Agreed 

• Like (+1) 1

I agree.  No sense in signing anyone right now.  See how the draft unfolds while prices continue to drop in FAs.  

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I really hope we do something to upgrade the OL, but that's looking like a remote possibility.

Sky is falling!