I think the Bills are done with Free-Agency until after the Draft.

I think most of their signings are done, reason being we currently have 69 on contract, with 7 draft picks, that would bring the total to 78 players.  

That puts the Bills with at 14 spots after the draft to get to 90, that is right in line with Historically the number of UDFA that they typically bring in.  

Now they could likely add some more 1 year deals, but I think they will wait until after the draft and see what shakes out at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

14 UDFA's is a lot...they don't typically bring that many to camp, it's usually more like 8-10 guys.

I think they should look into the remaining free agents, I'd rather have them than UDFA's who don't stand a chance of making this roster.

Meanwhile, Everson Griffen and Devonta Freeman could walk in as starters right now. (And both would be cheap.)

Edited by JustWinPlease

Ngakoue or Clowney are still in play. We have the cap space for either of them. Jacksonville might be willing to take two second rounders (this year and next) or a conditional first next year along with Trent Murphy for Ngakoue. 

Ngakoue's trade market is drying up - all his obvious suitors (Eagles, Jets, Seahawks)  have cap constraints. Titans appear to be the only team which can compete with the Bills. But they run a base 3-4 - not sure how Ngakoue will do in that. Also, Jags' OC (Jay Gruden) coached Murphy while with the Redskins and was very complimentary of Murphy even when the latter was suspended. So I am still keeping fingers crossed on Ngakoue.

• Like (+1) 3

You can never tell what the wizard is gonna do, all options are open all the time with Beane. Every time I think he’s done, he’s not. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

I think most of their signings are done, reason being we currently have 69 on contract, with 7 draft picks, that would bring the total to 78 players.  

That puts the Bills with at 14 spots after the draft to get to 90, that is right in line with Historically the number of UDFA that they typically bring in.  

Now they could likely add some more 1 year deals, but I think they will wait until after the draft and see what shakes out at this point.

Of course that's if the Bills use all of their draft picks, but I wouldn't be surprised if Beane at some point attempts to trade up for another 3rd or 4th round pick.

Even if they did use all of their picks, that is a lot of UDFA's to sign.

I don't think Beane is quite finished yet with free agency. Let's wait and see.

1 hour ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Ngakoue or Clowney are still in play. We have the cap space for either of them. Jacksonville might be willing to take two second rounders (this year and next) or a conditional first next year along with Trent Murphy for Ngakoue. 

Ngakoue's trade market is drying up - all his obvious suitors (Eagles, Jets, Seahawks)  have cap constraints. Titans appear to be the only team which can compete with the Bills. But they run a base 3-4 - not sure how Ngakoue will do in that. Also, Jags' OC (Jay Gruden) coached Murphy while with the Redskins and was very complimentary of Murphy even when the latter was suspended. So I am still keeping fingers crossed on Ngakoue.

How would this impact cap room for the big pieces we will have to resign shortly- namely Allen and White?

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Are these numbers derived from common core math?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I was shocked when they signed EJ Gaines and D.Williams as I thought they were done then. But I will agree that I can't see the Bills making any more signings before the draft and I think any singings they make after the draft will be very low key depth signings. As much as I would love an all in move to sign Clowney to a one year deal I don't see it happening. I would love to see them cut Murphy and sign Clowney to a one year deal (I don't think Clowney is a process guy but as a one year mercenary looking for that big payday I think he can work) and then focus the draft on offensive skill position depth and secondary depth. 

I think they may  be done until after the draft.   

I think their tenative plan is to get an RB1a in the draft.  This could allow them to replace F Gore's role with Singletary and Singletary's role taken over by the new draft pick.  A young, cheap player for several years with Josh.  

If they're able to fill the RB room with a draft pick instead of a vet that frees up cash to go big game hunting on DE - meaning Clowney then Griffen.  

If they miss on their targeted RBs, they can pick up a vet in Hyde or Freeman.

I hope they are able to get drafted RB and Clowney!  Problem is, it looks like a couple other teams have the same idea, at least as far as waiting on the vet RB - like Tampa.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bills move up in the 3rd round to secure one of the their targeted RBs.

To me, Daryl Worley seems like a really obvious add. He was traded from Carolina once McDermott left. A young corner drafted for McDermott’s defense who still has upside. He could challenge Josh Norman this year and potential replace him next year. 

Safety wise I feel like they will be in on Tedric Thompson who would be a huge upgrade depth wise. 

DL wise tackles like Mike Daniels and Adam Gotsis are still out there. Ofcourse the big fish Clowney is still there, but I wonder if we would re-engage with Ziggy Ansah or pursue Jabal Sheard. 

Freeman, Hyde or Miller seem like obvious adds.

Higgins is still out there as a wideout. 

Linebackers Jake Ryan and Alec Ogeltree could add competition and special teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think they will bring in any more FA's until after the draft.  Many teams will take someone at their position during the draft.  Some teams will get a unexpected guy at their position who the thing dropped by 40 picks.  The price to pay will be later after the draft because of less competition.  There might also be good players dropped from somebody's roster during roster cut-downs because of draft picks.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

3 hours ago, Adam said:

How would this impact cap room for the big pieces we will have to resign shortly- namely Allen and White?

good question. that is the beauty of the contracts beane has handed out. they are front loaded and very little is guaranteed even next year. for exam-le, we have 60 mill + cap space for 2021 AND can get more cap space by cutting ties with Hughes, Poyer, Butler, Addison, Jefferson, even John Brown. Cap wise we are in great shape going forward.

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I was shocked when they signed EJ Gaines and D.Williams as I thought they were done then. But I will agree that I can't see the Bills making any more signings before the draft and I think any singings they make after the draft will be very low key depth signings. As much as I would love an all in move to sign Clowney to a one year deal I don't see it happening. I would love to see them cut Murphy and sign Clowney to a one year deal (I don't think Clowney is a process guy but as a one year mercenary looking for that big payday I think he can work) and then focus the draft on offensive skill position depth and secondary depth. 

This.

I keep hearing Clowney to the jets on a one year deal.  Why the jets? Why not join this beastly D and make bigger bucks next year?  

I think we can make up the 9 mil difference between clowney and Murphy somewhere.

If not clowney, Markus Golden.  He’d be perfect in a rotation with Jerry and Mario