Sammy Watkins restructures contract - Will Return

Virgil

17 minutes ago, Dopey said:

You can try to twist the narrative if you want to, but my point that we didn't need him to make the playoffs rings true. Like it or not. It's in the history books. The Bills were bad during Sammy's time here too. Your numbers aside, we made the playoffs the year after trading him. We didn't need him. We did well to trade him when we did and I'm pretty sure we used the picks from the trade to move up and get Josh.

Yep. Bottom line, all he did in Buffalo was lose. The current regime (playoff teams 2 out of 3 years, moving to the top of the league with a bullet) dumped him so fast that his head was spinning. Pretty obvious that they did not consider him to be part of any future success with the Bills.

Congrats to him getting a ring though, that's something that can never be taken away from him.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rico said:

Yep. Bottom line, all he did in Buffalo was lose. The current regime (playoff teams 2 out of 3 years, moving to the top of the league with a bullet) dumped him so fast that his head was spinning. Pretty obvious that they did not consider him to be part of any future success with the Bills.

Congrats to him getting a ring though, that's something that can never be taken away from him.

+1

The problem with Watkins is he doesn't elevate anyone else.  In Buffalo, he needed to be the guy.  He needed to make his QB better.  He needed to open things up for the other receivers.  That's what a #1 WR does.  That's what Tyreek Hill does.  That's what Julio Jones does.  That's not what Watkins does.   That's not who he is.

Yes, he can blow up two or three times a year when the defenses are running all over the field trying to defend Hill and Kelce, but he'll always be a 3d option player.  Not a very good return for a #4 pick that you traded up to get.

I don't have a problem with Watkins, but I'll always have a problem with Whaley and his stupid 'make a big splash' approach to the draft.  The day they fired Whaley was the biggest moment of the century for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

Obviously we all are aware that Kansas City won the Super Bowl. I was just merely stating that right now Buffalo could easily absorb signing Josh Allen where as Kansas City would look like a totally different team if they had to pay Patrick Mahomes. Like I stated going forward year by year Buffalo will start to look better given their cap Savvy general manager. Thanks again for reminding us who won the Super Bowl wonderful

......KC will have to pay Mahomes soon......but it's not a pending disaster.  Most of the core is under contract throught 2021, and there is PLENTY of cap space ahead....just not this year....

Regarding Watkins.....  before he re-signed, he was on the third year of his 3 year deal here (in KC) and had a cap hit of 21 Million for 2020.  If he were cut, we would have saved 14 million against the cap and carried 7 million dead money.  Here is what happend.  There was a mutual interest for Sammy to be in KC for 2020, but not at a 21 million cap hit.  Essentially what happend was, he was cut, and then re-signed.  KC is still carrying the 7 million cap hit, and his new deal has a base salary of 9 million.  Instead of counting 21 Million against the cap now, Sammy is for all intents and purposes, a 16 Million dollar cap hit now.  ....Saving the team 5 million while retaining Watkins services for the 2020 season.

Another way to think of it from KC perspective is...cutting Watkins and having 7 million in dead cap...PLUS signing a veteran WR would have cost X.  What would that have been?  Maybe X+7 million would have equaled 13 Million or 14 Million....and maybe the guy you sign isn't quite as good as Watkins....so ultimately, X+9 Million = 16 Million and you have Watkins for another year.

KC will now have the entire starting offense back from 2019.  That in and of itself isn't that big a deal, but when you consider that teams can't do OTA's, etc....you have the entire offense, with Ried and Mahomes...that all know the playbook...have all played together for years now, and they are all back again after winning the SB.  That is a significant advantage.

....and a few other Chiefs notes....they are a Bashaud Breeland signing away from having everyone back on D that took 50% or more of the snaps at each position.

Last note on Watkins, I dont think he's elite etc...but he DOES matter...KC's offense has better numbers with him as opposed to without him....I think if I am correct, KC has only lost 4 games Watkins started.

11 hours ago, Dopey said:

I actually liked us drafting Sammy, trade and all. Your comment on "typical" fans and high draft picks rings hollow here. He was drafted to be a #1 wr and it didn't work out. Sammy hasn't been a #1 in the last 4 yrs. It was the right move to trade him when we did. We used the draft capital from that trade to move up and draft Josh. As for the 2017 team, we made the playoffs without him. So, we trade him and make the playoffs without him. Sure, we really needed him.?

Your "haters continue to hate" and "typical" comments are weak. We can have a different opinion without you acting like a baby. No?

And then we lost in the playoffs when none of the wr’s could play as good as Watkins did. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

His injuries are part of the story  with him though.,

A 3 yr average since he left the Bills of 600 yards and 5 TDs a year may be solid but not at $16M a year..now  he will get Brown money, but personally I’d prefer Brown

Actually averaged 820/season as a Bill with 982 in his Rookie season, 1047 in 13 games in year 2 & yes only 430 in 8 games (injured) in year 3.  Add to that a low # of targets for a #1 he did damn well in Buffalo.

In KC I don't expect huge #'s, because they will throw primarily to Hill & Kelce (as an outlet), but he will contribute. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The problem with Watkins is he doesn't elevate anyone else.  In Buffalo, he needed to be the guy.  He needed to make his QB better.  He needed to open things up for the other receivers.  That's what a #1 WR does.  That's what Tyreek Hill does.  That's what Julio Jones does.  That's not what Watkins does.   That's not who he is.

Yes, he can blow up two or three times a year when the defenses are running all over the field trying to defend Hill and Kelce, but he'll always be a 3d option player.  Not a very good return for a #4 pick that you traded up to get.

I don't have a problem with Watkins, but I'll always have a problem with Whaley and his stupid 'make a big splash' approach to the draft.  The day they fired Whaley was the biggest moment of the century for the Bills.

Again completely wrong.  He was a rookie & put up good #'s year 1.  Year 2 he played 13 games on a run heavy team & had over 1000 yards on only 7.36 targets/game.  Year 3 was injuries.  

When you mention Kelce that's a non-starter.  Kelce is a TE, he is not garnering the opposing teams pass defenders.  Yes Hill commands the #1 defender, but Watkins too often is doubled or has a top defender on him (I seem to remember it was Sherman in the SB).

Oh yea & yes they were banking EJ Manual being their qb of the future & they got him the receiver they needed.  EJ was a bust, but that wasn't on Sammy.

Oh & again the 2014-16 Bills were 24-24 vs. the juggernaut that has gone 25-23 2017-2019......

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again completely wrong.  He was a rookie & put up good #'s year 1.  Year 2 he played 13 games on a run heavy team & had over 1000 yards on only 7.36 targets/game.  Year 3 was injuries.  

When you mention Kelce that's a non-starter.  Kelce is a TE, he is not garnering the opposing team's cornerbacks & safeties.  Yes Hill commands the #1 defender, but Watkins too often is doubled or has a top defender on him (I seem to remember it was Sherman in the SB).

Oh yea & yes they were banking EJ Manual being their qb of the future & they got him the receiver they needed.  EJ was a bust, but that wasn't on Sammy.

Oh & again the 2014-16 Bills were 24-24 vs. the juggernaut that has gone 25-23 2017-2019......

5 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

......KC will have to pay Mahomes soon......but it's not a pending disaster.  Most of the core is under contract throught 2021, and there is PLENTY of cap space ahead....just not this year....

Regarding Watkins.....  before he re-signed, he was on the third year of his 3 year deal here (in KC) and had a cap hit of 21 Million for 2020.  If he were cut, we would have saved 14 million against the cap and carried 7 million dead money.  Here is what happend.  There was a mutual interest for Sammy to be in KC for 2020, but not at a 21 million cap hit.  Essentially what happend was, he was cut, and then re-signed.  KC is still carrying the 7 million cap hit, and his new deal has a base salary of 9 million.  Instead of counting 21 Million against the cap now, Sammy is for all intents and purposes, a 16 Million dollar cap hit now.  ....Saving the team 5 million while retaining Watkins services for the 2020 season.

Another way to think of it from KC perspective is...cutting Watkins and having 7 million in dead cap...PLUS signing a veteran WR would have cost X.  What would that have been?  Maybe X+7 million would have equaled 13 Million or 14 Million....and maybe the guy you sign isn't quite as good as Watkins....so ultimately, X+9 Million = 16 Million and you have Watkins for another year.

KC will now have the entire starting offense back from 2019.  That in and of itself isn't that big a deal, but when you consider that teams can't do OTA's, etc....you have the entire offense, with Ried and Mahomes...that all know the playbook...have all played together for years now, and they are all back again after winning the SB.  That is a significant advantage.

....and a few other Chiefs notes....they are a Bashaud Breeland signing away from having everyone back on D that took 50% or more of the snaps at each position.

Last note on Watkins, I dont think he's elite etc...but he DOES matter...KC's offense has better numbers with him as opposed to without him....I think if I am correct, KC has only lost 4 games Watkins started.

Yeah I think that trying to return last year's team is a smart idea.  Before Mahomes' contract hamstrings them severely.

3 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

And then we lost in the playoffs when none of the wr’s could play as good as Watkins did. 

I made a single, valid point. I mean anyone can take it further. Great job.

20 hours ago, Rico said:

Actually, in his rookie season, the bills went 9-7 - their first winning season in a decade. He was the team’s best offensive player too. And they were over .500 the next two seasons when Taylor started.

Edited by dave mcbride

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t think there is any question Watkins makes that catch against Houston where Brown can’t even drag 2 feet along the sidelines before halftime. 

So Watkins didn’t make a mistake all year..

Gotcha..

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Actually, in his rookie season, the bills went 9-7 - their first winning season in a decade. He was the team’s best offensive player too. And they were over .500 the next two seasons when Taylor started.

He was part of the heinous 17- year drought which made him a loser in Buffalo. 

9 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

When you mention Kelce that's a non-starter.  Kelce is a TE, he is not garnering the opposing team's cornerbacks & safeties.  Yes Hill commands the #1 defender, but Watkins too often is doubled or has a top defender on him (I seem to remember it was Sherman in the SB).

There was absolutely no reason to get rid of him in 2017......  He was under contract, had worked out with Tyrod in the off season, and was healthy.  It was done out of spite for Whaley & the old regime.  The Offense was the bottom of the league in 2017.  Please don't rationalize it.