Sammy Watkins restructures contract - Will Return

Virgil

18 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

And this just sums how irrational fans are cb play.  A guy has a bad game and he sucks?  The Bills love doing this with Gilmore.  Once we are allowed, go find a guy who runs a 4.4 40, have him and the qb come up with a route, then guard that player without laying a finger on him.  Next to quarterback, cornerback is the hardest position to play in the nfl.

Is it any more irrational than pimping Sammy for showing up in one game during the post-season and saying he's great?  So now you're a Sammy fan?  LOL!

Haters continue to hate......  Boy it would have sucked to have Watkins in 2017 on......  

For a decoy and maligned receiver (only in Buffalo), he's amassed a pretty penny.....  Oh yea & produced when it counted for KC......

Boy that 2017 Bills receiving corp was something special, wasn't it????

The good news is Bills fans won't debate signing him as a decoy if he had been waived.......??

Edited by Billsfan1972

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Is it any more irrational than pimping Sammy for showing up in one game during the post-season and saying he's great?  So now you're a Sammy fan?  LOL!

One game?  In his two seasons with the Chiefs, he’s played 5 postseason games.  
6 catches for 62 yards

4 catches for 114 yards

2 catches for 76 yards

7 catches for 114 yards

5 catches for 98 yards

2 years, 5 games, 34 targets, 24 catches, 464 yards, 1 ring

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Billl said:

One game?  In his two seasons with the Chiefs, he’s played 5 postseason games.  
6 catches for 62 yards

4 catches for 114 yards

2 catches for 76 yards

7 catches for 114 yards

5 catches for 98 yards

2 years, 5 games, 34 targets, 24 catches, 464 yards, 1 ring

And yet during the season is only averaging 46 catches for 600 yards and 3 TDs.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

And yet during the season is only averaging 46 catches for 600 yards and 3 TDs.

John Brown and Duke Williams were the leading WRs against the Texans.  They combined to catch 8 passes on 18 targets for 99 yards and no scores.  A week later against the same team, Sammy had only 2 targets but caught both of them for 76 yards.

The Chiefs offense was much better with him on the field during the regular season than when he was out, and then he took his game to the next level in the postseason.  People here love to hate him, but there aren’t a lot of 26 year olds with over 4000 receiving yards and over 30 TDs in the regular season plus those kind of postseason performances.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

John Brown and Duke Williams were the leading WRs against the Texans.  They combined to catch 8 passes on 18 targets for 99 yards and no scores.  A week later against the same team, Sammy had only 2 targets but caught both of them for 76 yards.

The Chiefs offense was much better with him on the field during the regular season than when he was out, and then he took his game to the next level in the postseason.  People here love to hate him, but there aren’t a lot of 26 year olds with over 4000 receiving yards and over 30 TDs in the regular season plus those kind of postseason performances.

There also aren't a lot of 26 year olds who have already been in the league for 6 years.  That comes out to an average of 47 catches for 707 yards and 5 TDs a season.

And sure his presence helps.  But it's not like he's even the 2nd most talented guy on the last 2 teams he's played on.  He's a complementary piece.  Which is fine if you can afford him, and the Chefs can...for now.

4 minutes ago, Billl said:

The operative word(s) there was Duke Williams. He had 10 of the attempts for 4 catches and a dropped td. He also showed he can't get open in the nfl. I think John Brown could have easily done what Sammy did with Kelcey, Hill and especially Mahomes, instead of Duke, Knox and Josh. I guess Sammy was saving himself for the playoff run. Smart of him and congrats. I still think $9 mil base is kinda high for Sammy. JMO.

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

The operative word(s) there was Duke Williams. He had 10 of the attempts for 4 catches and a dropped td. He also showed he can't get open in the nfl. I think John Brown could have easily done what Sammy did with Kelcey, Hill and especially Mahomes, instead of Duke, Knox and Josh. I guess Sammy was saving himself for the playoff run. Smart of him and congrats. I still think $9 mil base is kinda high for Sammy. JMO.

Which is typical of Bills fans here about every high drafty pick.  They all are over paid & the Bills did the right thing dumping them.

Funny how Sammy has teams happy to have him & pay him......

Please remind me again that killer 2017 receiving corp the Bills had????

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Which is typical of Bills fans here about every high drafty pick.  They all are over paid & the Bills did the right thing dumping them.

Funny how Sammy has teams happy to have him & pay him......

Please remind me again that killer 2017 receiving corp the Bills had????

I actually liked us drafting Sammy, trade and all. Your comment on "typical" fans and high draft picks rings hollow here. He was drafted to be a #1 wr and it didn't work out. Sammy hasn't been a #1 in the last 4 yrs. It was the right move to trade him when we did. We used the draft capital from that trade to move up and draft Josh. As for the 2017 team, we made the playoffs without him. So, we trade him and make the playoffs without him. Sure, we really needed him.?

Your "haters continue to hate" and "typical" comments are weak. We can have a different opinion without you acting like a baby. No?

6 minutes ago, Dopey said:

I actually liked us drafting Sammy, trade and all. Your comment on "typical" fans and high draft picks rings hollow here. He was drafted to be a #1 wr and it didn't work out. Sammy hasn't been a #1 in the last 4 yrs. It was the right move to trade him when we did. We used the draft capital from that trade to move up and draft Josh. As for the 2017 team, we made the playoffs without him. So, we trade him and make the playoffs without him. Sure, we really needed him.?

Your "haters continue to hate" and "typical" comments are weak. We can have a different opinion without you acting like a baby. No?

Maybe not directed at you, but at lot here who seemed to be upset the Bills traded up to draft Watkins & seem to blame the injuries he had on him.  He was productive as a Bill (including a 1000 yard season) with minimal targets.  

As a Chief again he is the third option, however draws difficult assignments.  

For some reason the Chiefs want him back & they are the favorite in the NFL because of their offense & players like Watkins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

Using the fact that the Bills made the playoffs in 2017 to prove any point ever is ridiculous.  That was a bad football team.  They were outscored by 57 points on the season.  The offense scored 274 points...17 PPG.

The previous season, they scored 100 more points and had a point differential of +21 on the season.  There was an enormous drop off.

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

That afterthought was their leading receiver in the playoffs.  Matter of fact in 5 playoffs games with the Chiefs, he has 454 yards or 90.8 yards/ game.  I would be furious with that type of production. 

So why do you think he is so average in the regular season?

12 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

So why do you think he is so average in the regular season?

He’s played in 3 different systems/ on 3 different teams in the past 4 seasons and battled injuries.  In the process, he’s still put up a pretty solid resume if you look at it objectively.  Consider the fact that he’s still only 26, and I’m inclined to think Andy Reid may not be an idiot for bringing him back to his Super Bowl winning team.

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

He’s played in 3 different systems/ on 3 different teams in the past 4 seasons and battled injuries.  In the process, he’s still put up a pretty solid resume if you look at it objectively.  Consider the fact that he’s still only 26, and I’m inclined to think Andy Reid may not be an idiot for bringing him back to his Super Bowl winning team.

His injuries are part of the story  with him though.,

A 3 yr average since he left the Bills of 600 yards and 5 TDs a year may be solid but not at $16M a year..now  he will get Brown money, but personally I’d prefer Brown

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

His injuries are part of the story  with him though.,

A 3 yr average since he left the Bills of 600 yards and 5 TDs a year may be solid but not at $16M a year..now  he will get Brown money, but personally I’d prefer Brown

His salary for this season is $9,000,000.  He’s not worth $16,000,000, but he was owed 7 if he was cut.

1 minute ago, Billl said:

His salary for this season is $9,000,000.  He’s not worth $16,000,000, but he was owed 7 if he was cut.

Yeah that’s what I said.. and I’d prefer to be paying that to Brown

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Billl said:

Using the fact that the Bills made the playoffs in 2017 to prove any point ever is ridiculous.  That was a bad football team.  They were outscored by 57 points on the season.  The offense scored 274 points...17 PPG.

The previous season, they scored 100 more points and had a point differential of +21 on the season.  There was an enormous drop off.

You can try to twist the narrative if you want to, but my point that we didn't need him to make the playoffs rings true. Like it or not. It's in the history books. The Bills were bad during Sammy's time here too. Your numbers aside, we made the playoffs the year after trading him. We didn't need him. We did well to trade him when we did and I'm pretty sure we used the picks from the trade to move up and get Josh.

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Fun fact:  Diggs averages 66 yards/ game.  Sammy when a Bill averaged 66.5 yards/ game.

sammy, when healthy which is obviously a problem for him, is about as talented as any receiver in the nfl. 

Bills fans laughed at NE signing Gilmore.  Fans aren’t always smart. 

I hated losing Gilmore. TBD pitchfork guy.