Sammy Watkins restructures contract - Will Return

Virgil

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per season. Oh, and 3 td each of the last 2 seasons.

They did create $5 mil in cap space though. Thought I read where they had less than $800 at one point. Yes, less than $800.

Edit: wow they had $177 in cap space a few days ago, according to USA Today.

Wait until they have to pay Patrick Mahomes. I really love the way we are being smart with the money. I think Buffalo is going to get more and more dominant every year as other teams start to get in cap jail.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean Watkins has taken home $32,000,000 the last couple of years and will get another $9,000,000 this year at least. It's not a bad haul and he got a ring. Can't be mad at that. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per season. Oh, and 3 td each of the last 2 seasons.

They did create $5 mil in cap space though. Thought I read where they had less than $800 at one point. Yes, less than $800.

Edit: wow they had $177 in cap space a few days ago, according to USA Today.

While leading the super bowl champions in receiving in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Come on Doc. Mahomes was the best player in the playoffs, but Watkins was the best reciever out there. 

Maybe they should stop messing around and just bag him till the playoffs. Seems to be when he comes to play.

Hill/Hardman/Watkins or Diggs/Brown/Beez ??!?

I think you can't go wrong with either group and even though they have the speed advantage , Diggs and Brown have elite speed ..

They don't have that true #1 though like Diggs.  Watkins isn't close to Diggs level,imo and I like that Beasley adds that elite underneath game KC doesn't have.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Agreed. We know as well as any team he’s likely never going to live up to his incredible potential. By accepting the restructure, it seems he’s finally realizing this too. I suspect the Chiefs have options after the season should he ‘break out’ for the 1st time in his career.. 

It's such a shame, he could be posting 90+ receptions, 1400+ yards and 8-10 TDs a season if he just would get his head on straight...such a waste of incredible talent.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

He had a fine game, to be sure.  But with the 49'ers focusing on Hill and Kelce, it gave Sammy more room.  Plus he was being covered by Sherman, who is running on fumes now.

Fumes? Sherman ranked 8th among NFL CBs in passer rating allowed in 2019.

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, NewEra said:

While leading the super bowl champions in receiving in the playoffs.  

Big Game Sammy!

You know if he put up those regular season numbers with us, he would be our pitchfork guy. You might even be leading the charge.

11 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I think you can't go wrong with either group and even though they have the speed advantage , Diggs and Brown have elite speed ..

They don't have that true #1 though like Diggs.  Watkins isn't close to Diggs level,imo and I like that Beasley adds that elite underneath game KC doesn't have.  

KC’s group. Period.

Hill has been elite the last 3 seasons, and Watkins is the only one of the 3 of them that isn’t quite as fast as Brown. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

Big Game Sammy!

You know if he put up those regular season numbers with us, he would be our pitchfork guy. You might even be leading the charge.

w/e rational you need. He was a big part of them winning the super bowl.  Might not have happened without him

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Agreed. He has his moments but they have so many weapons that he’s an afterthought. 

That afterthought was their leading receiver in the playoffs.  Matter of fact in 5 playoffs games with the Chiefs, he has 454 yards or 90.8 yards/ game.  I would be furious with that type of production. 

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

w/e rational you need. He was a big part of them winning the super bowl.  Might not have happened without him

Yes, whatever rational I need to say I think $9 mil base seems like a lot for what he provided the past 2 regular seasons. That was my point. Let's not try to make this into more than what it is. I gave my opinion and yes, gave my rational. Don't like it, cool. I'm not going to drag this into argument territory. Stay safe.

26 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I mean qb play is a Huge factor in this. 

1 hour ago, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

Wait until they have to pay Patrick Mahomes. I really love the way we are being smart with the money. I think Buffalo is going to get more and more dominant every year as other teams start to get in cap jail.

Yeah, I bet they are definitely regretting winning that Super Bowl.  Would have been way better off saving their money so they might have a chance to win it 5 years from now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

KC’s group. Period.

Hill has been elite the last 3 seasons, and Watkins is the only one of the 3 of them that isn’t quite as fast as Brown. 

Ya I can't argue that at all. I think you can make an argument for either trio and we have yet to see Diggs in this offense. 

43 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

actually Thinking Diggs is who we thought Sammy was. 

Fun fact:  Diggs averages 66 yards/ game.  Sammy when a Bill averaged 66.5 yards/ game.

sammy, when healthy which is obviously a problem for him, is about as talented as any receiver in the nfl. 

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Interesting hearing chiefs fans on this— not a lot of support for this re-signing, other than avoiding a dead cap hit by cutting him.

Bills fans laughed at NE signing Gilmore.  Fans aren’t always smart. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Interesting hearing chiefs fans on this— not a lot of support for this re-signing, other than avoiding a dead cap hit by cutting him.

They feel they can have a much cheaper option with similar production. With teams gameplanning for Hill/Hardman and Sammy disappeared for multiple games at a time , but he has done that his whole career.