Sammy Watkins restructures contract - Will Return

Virgil

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per season. Oh, and 3 td each of the last 2 seasons.

They did create $5 mil in cap space though. Thought I read where they had less than $800 at one point. Yes, less than $800.

Edit: wow they had $177 in cap space a few days ago, according to USA Today.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Dopey said:

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per season. Oh, and 3 td each of the last 2 seasons.

Agreed. He has his moments but they have so many weapons that he’s an afterthought. 

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Agreed. We know as well as any team he’s likely never going to live up to his incredible potential. By accepting the restructure, it seems he’s finally realizing this too. I suspect the Chiefs have options after the season should he ‘break out’ for the 1st time in his career.. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Dopey said:

If his restructure is saving the Chefs $5M, it means the incentives are not-likely-to-be earned.  So he took a pay cut to stay, likely because they told him he'd have to take one or be cut and has been finding he can't get any better anywhere else.

• Like (+1) 1

Sammy the foot

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Agreed. We know as well as any team he’s likely never going to live up to his incredible potential. By accepting the restructure, it seems he’s finally realizing this too. I suspect the Chiefs have options after the season should he ‘break out’ for the 1st time in his career.. 

I mean after 6 seasons is it potential or is it what you see is what you get?

Sammy might have one more 1000 yard season in him, but I wouldn’t bet on it. 

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

If his restructure is saving the Chefs $5M, it means the incentives are not-likely-to-be earned.  So he took a pay cut to stay, likely because they told him he'd have to take one or be cut and has been finding he can't get any better anywhere else.

This makes sense.

42 minutes ago, Dopey said:

$ 9 mil base sounds like a lot of $ for someone who over the past 2 seasons, averaged 46 rec for less than 600 yds per

It goes to show how critical it is to have multiple deep threats. Can’t wait to see what we look like with two reliably healthy 1000 yard deep threats. 

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Dopey said:

They did create $5 mil in cap space though. Thought I read where they had less than $800 at one point. Yes, less than $800.

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

He was on year 3 of a 3 year deal - he was a definite cut candidate.  16 mil cap hit with 9mil in space created if they cut him. 

I think they'll draft someone this year though so they have a bit more insurance when they let him walk next year.  That'd give them Hill, Hardman, Draft pick to go with Kelce.  I'm sure they would like a RB as well, but i think they'll roll committee because its cheap and they'd probably be better suited building up the offensive line.  Not sure what they do with Chris Jones either, between him and clark you have like 35 million tied up in Defensive Ends - while also having like no corners.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

It goes to show how critical it is to have multiple deep threats. Can’t wait to see what we look like with two reliably healthy 1000 yard deep threats. 

And an 800 yard underneath guy.  If Knox can learn to secure the catch before running...

6 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He was on year 3 of a 3 year deal - he was a definite cut candidate.  16 mil cap hit with 9mil in space created if they cut him. 

I think they'll draft someone this year though so they have a bit more insurance when they let him walk next year.  That'd give them Hill, Hardman, Draft pick to go with Kelce.  I'm sure they would like a RB as well, but i think they'll roll committee because its cheap and they'd probably be better suited building up the offensive line.  Not sure what they do with Chris Jones either, between him and clark you have like 35 million tied up in Defensive Ends - while also having like no corners.  

They'll have it tough when they have to give Mahomes $35-40M/year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

He looked pretty damn good in the biggest games for the chiefs in the playoffs.

The last two years play offs he's shown up.

2018 - 176 yards (2 games) 

2019 - 288 yards (3 games) 1TD. 

He ruined Sherman when it really, really mattered in the Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He looked pretty damn good in the biggest games for the chiefs in the playoffs.

Chris Hogan looked good in a couple games for the Cheaters in the playoffs, namely the Philly SB.  The problem is, Foles looked better.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I can never resist a good chance to bash Decoy Watkins.

Do you know Cole Beasley— basically our slot guy— on a team that is 5 times less explosive than the Chiefs, had better production that Watkins?

• Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I can never resist a good chance to bash Decoy Watkins.

Do you know Cole Beasley— basically our slot guy— on a team that is 5 times less explosive than the Chiefs, had better production that Watkins?

Beasley was a #2 option...Watkins was behind Hill, Kelce, and sometimes even Hardman and Robinson.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Come on Doc. Mahomes was the best player in the playoffs, but Watkins was the best reciever out there. 

He had a fine game, to be sure.  But with the 49'ers focusing on Hill and Kelce, it gave Sammy more room.  Plus he was being covered by Sherman, who is running on fumes now.