Made in China

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

These sorts of statistics are often tossed out there by Bernie and his followers to suggest that Americans aren’t making enough money. But IMHO that’s the wrong conclusion. What these stats more accurately show is that much like the federal government many Americans have a SPENDING problem, not an income problem. They live paycheck to paycheck because they’re living above their means of support. 

Both can be true.  I see people living paycheck to paycheck.  A life long friend does so and I have been in his house many times.  No fancy vehicle in the driveway and no state of the art electronics.  They cook their meals and very little is prepared out of the box.  Also, I see people that I know are making minimum wage who have a 50,000 dollar pickup in the driveway courtesy of leasing.  The kids wear expensive but not high quality clothes (150 dollar jeans).  The 53 percent that ALF cited can be debated but there are more than a few Americans who are hand to mouth through no fault of their own.

Thanks for the responses.

As a consumer I will make an effort to buy products made outside of China. But as R Rob and B Gal eluded to, we as consumers are small players in the international trade game. The China trade deal is the big elephant in the room.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

That’s been my life experience as well. I have three business partners. We all make the exact same salary. One of us however lives WAY above his means and likes to boast about his lifestyle. But....the slightest disruption sends him scrambling. He isn’t poor! He makes really good money. But he’d fit Bernies definition of living paycheck to paycheck.

Nice example, there are definitely spenders and savers. I fall into the saver category. Made my own work lunches most days, Brewed my own coffee (I can't do the math waiting 15 minutes and paying for a Dutch Bros coffee). Always tried to have have that 3-6 month cushion after I got a job with benefits. Never got a home equity loan to buy toys. But I digress...

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

These sorts of statistics are often tossed out there by Bernie and his followers to suggest that Americans aren’t making enough money. But IMHO that’s the wrong conclusion. What these stats more accurately show is that much like the federal government many Americans have a SPENDING problem, not an income problem. They live paycheck to paycheck because they’re living above their means of support. 

but they are not spending on quality or American made goods

if they were, Walmart, with their Chinese goods,  would be out of business

4 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

D6hXplvW0AEMBQQ.jpg

You might want to use what little brainpower you have left to think before you post shitlikethis. That's not a hat sold on a Trump website. It's a hat made in China, imported by a number of different wholesalers for sale to retailers. Spend your time on something useful, like stocking up on Depends. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

You might want to use what little brainpower you have left to think before you post shitlikethis. That's not a hat sold on a Trump website. It's a hat made in China, imported by a number of different wholesalers for sale to retailers. Spend your time on something useful, like stocking up on Depends. 

It's a hat made in China worn by an American Cultist. Doesn't matter where the ***** the hat is sold - the morons who wear them live in America

1 minute ago, Gary Busey said:

It's a hat made in China worn by an American Cultist. Doesn't matter where the ***** the hat is sold - the morons who wear them live in America

So, a person that wears a hat that somehow refers to Trump is a cultist? That's just because you disagree with them, eh? I sense:

See the source image

Make America Great Again is a marketing slogan. 
I don't have a problem with it.
And the only cult I belonged to was Blue Oyster in my youth.

Edited by Uncle Joe
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

So, now that he's dead you're denying that Manson guy? 

8 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

Anyone wearing a MAGA hat is part of the cult - yes

If that's the standard does wearing a Bills hat make me part of a cult?

7 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

He stole it from Reagan. My only problem with the slogan is America's always been great.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Gary Busey said:

Anyone wearing a MAGA hat is part of the cult - yes

What makes one a cultist beside what they put on their head. 

Now back to the thread.  Move it all to Mexico. As I’ve said before. Mexico will do so well economically THEY’LL need a wall to keep US out. And they’ll pay for it. BAM!! 

• Haha (+1) 1

...this just in........check for the Ethiopian President of WHO  is "in the mail"........and the US funds this corrupt organization just like the UN?.....good Lord........

China wins seat on UN Human Rights Council panel despite troubling record, response to coronavirus

By Adam Shaw | Fox News

China has won a seat on a panel on the controversial U.N. Human Rights Council, where it will help vet candidates for important posts -- despite its decades-long record of systematic human rights abuse that the U.S. has said fueled the coronavirus pandemic.

Jiang Duan, minister at the Chinese Mission in Geneva, was appointed to the U.N. Human Rights Council’s Consultative Group -- where he will serve as the representative of the Asia-Pacific states. He will serve as one of five representatives for blocs of countries and is joined by delegates from Spain, Slovenia and Chad.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/china-un-human-rights-council-coronavirus-response

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 4/2/2020 at 10:02 PM, Azalin said:

I've always believed that if American manufacturers want us to buy American, they need to make those products to be at least comparable in both affordability and quality. Under current circumstances I am willing to pay more, both as a big FU to China as well as to lend support to American workers who will need the work. 

I feel the same but it's complicated.  If we engage  in much greater nationalistic buying then we somewhat snub other countries economically which likely causes their markets for our products to become restricted or diminished because of their dislike of our snub.  It'll be tough for example to take advantage of huge markets like China and India if we don't maintain good economic relations.  For sure Med and other essential products should be made here more so and their plenty of room to eliminate the huge trade imbalance with China, but our companies need free global markets.  Especially industries like the Auto industry.