Made in China

So this has been mentioned in numerous threads and I think it deserves its own thread.
When this pandemic is over do you really want to buy merchandise made in China?

Will China still be undercutting the market value? Will those struggling from the economic downturn have a choice? Will buyers be able to truly identify the origin of their purchase?

I have a family member that has boycotted LL Bean since they stopped making their product in Maine.
Appreciate your thoughts and insight,

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Most Americans are living pay check to pay check, struggling to get by. 

I'd guess those people couldn't care less about where they're buying products from. 

They're just trying to keep the lights on, put food on the table and clothes on their kids backs. 

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Uncle Joe said:

So this has been mentioned in numerous threads and I think it deserves its own thread.

Will China still be undercutting the market value? Will those struggling from the economic downturn have a choice? Will buyers be able to truly identify the origin of their purchase?

I have a family member that has boycotted LL Bean since they stopped making their product in Maine.

You ask quite a complicated question.  Let's see where we are in 4-6 months and if any revelations about a deliberate release of Corona virus are made.  I prefer to buy other than Chinese but often there is not a choice in the matter.  Many tools among other products are made in China sometimes with no alternative.   Automotive parts.  Household electrical.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

If goods were available not made in China, I would purchase them. The  Made in America store(s) have been very popular for years, so there is a market.

Saying that, my SIL is in import-export. Their millions of sq ft of storage space are stuffed with goods from overseas, a lot from China. (With nothing open, it is not being distributed to stores.) And, that is just one company. The expectations are that non-medical goods will be business as usual when the Wuhan Virus subsides. Whether or not those expectations come to fruition, we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've always believed that if American manufacturers want us to buy American, they need to make those products to be at least comparable in both affordability and quality. Under current circumstances I am willing to pay more, both as a big FU to China as well as to lend support to American workers who will need the work. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Uncle Joe said:

NO.

I think there will be more of a move towards India, but I hope we are never again so dependent on another country. Gotta learn from this.

Edited by 32ABBA
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 32ABBA said:

NO.

I think there will be more of a move towards India, but I hope we are never again so dependent on another country. Gotta learn from this.

India won't be as cheap as China.  China may not be the last stop for the cheap train but has to be darn close to it.  I would guess that Vietnam and Cambodia are the last stop but things need to start coming back to the US and Canada.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

India won't be as cheap as China.  China may not be the last stop for the cheap train but has to be darn close to it.  I would guess that Vietnam and Cambodia are the last stop but things need to start coming back to the US and Canada.

Yeah, China is cheaper, obviously. But India can be cheap, and not set off a worldwide pandemic, so there's that...

I agree that there needs to be lots more production here. 

Edited by 32ABBA

7 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

Viet Nam and Cambodia won't be the last stops on the cheap labor train.  Venezuela is working its way towards that status and there are countries in Central America and Sub-Saharan African with cheap labor.  If they improve their property rights, would expect those would be the next sources for foreign manufacturing.  Which could help those countries reduce poverty tremendously, if they can keep the multinationals from lining autocrats pockets.

Would agree that manufacturing needs to come back to the US.  Will be interesting to see how much of it does come back.  Expecting pharmaceuticals will come back.  If cheap energy continues, could see chemicals in general coming back as well provided those manufacturers can get around/ overcome NIMBY.  Not expecting much else to actually come back; hoping though that it does.

• Thank you (+1) 1

We should not allow anything made in China to be sold in America without making companies pay an arm and a leg to bring it here, to the point that it might as well be prohibited.

We should not allow any people made in China to migrate here or attend our universities.

10 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Most Americans are living pay check to pay check, struggling to get by. 

I'd guess those people couldn't care less about where they're buying products from. 

They're just trying to keep the lights on, put food on the table and clothes on their kids backs. 

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, Koko78 said:

That's not even close to being true.

Survey: 53% of Americans Live Paycheck to Paycheck

Many Americans are living life on the edge — financially, at least. A new survey from MagnifyMoney revealed that a staggering number of people live paycheck to paycheck — and that just one missed paycheck would cause bills to pile up. According to our survey of over 1,000 Americans, 62% don’t have the recommended three months of living expenses saved up.

https://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/news/paycheck-survey/      February 4, 2020

Not sure how accurate 

• Like (+1) 3

8 hours ago, 32ABBA said:

Yeah, China is cheaper, obviously. But India can be cheap, and not set off a worldwide pandemic, so there's that...

I agree that there needs to be lots more production here. 

I mean, India doesn’t have the highest quality of living and hygiene in their boarders either... just cause it hasn’t doesn’t mean it won’t.

As for buying china goods- I would gladly buy American, if there was a consistent opportunity to do so. Coming from a town that was absolutely destroyed by NAFTA and other import export changes in the 80’s and 90’s, I’m all about getting our production back on our beaches, so to speak. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, ALF said:

Survey: 53% of Americans Live Paycheck to Paycheck

Many Americans are living life on the edge — financially, at least. A new survey from MagnifyMoney revealed that a staggering number of people live paycheck to paycheck — and that just one missed paycheck would cause bills to pile up. According to our survey of over 1,000 Americans, 62% don’t have the recommended three months of living expenses saved up.

These sorts of statistics are often tossed out there by Bernie and his followers to suggest that Americans aren’t making enough money. But IMHO that’s the wrong conclusion. What these stats more accurately show is that much like the federal government many Americans have a SPENDING problem, not an income problem. They live paycheck to paycheck because they’re living above their means of support. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

These sorts of statistics are often tossed out there by Bernie and his followers to suggest that Americans aren’t making enough money. But IMHO that’s the wrong conclusion. What these stats more accurately show is that much like the federal government many Americans have a SPENDING problem, not an income problem. They live paycheck to paycheck because they’re living above their means of support. 

My BIL is that way. He lives paycheck-to-paycheck. Not because of salary. Because he spends above his means. If he loses one day of work, he is looking for a handout to get by. Meanwhile, he has a $60k car sitting in the garage that he rarely drives.

1 minute ago, KRC said:

My BIL is that way. He lives paycheck-to-paycheck. Not because of salary. Because he spends above his means. If he loses one day of work, he is looking for a handout to get by. Meanwhile, he has a $60k car sitting in the garage that he rarely drives.

That’s been my life experience as well. I have three business partners. We all make the exact same salary. One of us however lives WAY above his means and likes to boast about his lifestyle. But....the slightest disruption sends him scrambling. He isn’t poor! He makes really good money. But he’d fit Bernies definition of living paycheck to paycheck.

• Like (+1) 1