The official retirement count down

LewPort71

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Lol what's retirement

It’s what I do since I discovered I am far less desired by the marketplace than my wife is, but I have to live somewhere I would rather not be. Life is a series of trade-offs. 

15 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Lol what's retirement

...as I tell my kids, "I'll probably EXPIRE before I RETIRE......"......I'm the dumbazz that keeps going daily at age 67.......colleagues say, "only way you go out is on a gurney".........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I had to retire at 62 because my MS decided to not let me manage the stress of 40+ hours a week anymore. My disability application with Social Security was granted in a record eight working days. So I started collecting the full retirement age benefit almost five years ago. It converted from disability to retirement when I turned 65.It takes a lot adjustment, since I always worked, and my wife is not ready to retire. Luckily I have not had to touch my IRA's. 

The worst part was having my career job eliminated in 2007, so I spent the last several years of work with less pay and significantly less enjoyment.

I feel busier now than when I worked, but I have more choice over scheduling my hours! It took a while for the family to back off and not try to fill my schedule for me. 

My complaints are petty. I am a lucky guy and plan to live to be 100. 

Good luck to you, Lewport

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hang in there, 57, no 56 days is not so bad.

I expected I would have to work until I was 70, but managed to retire at 66. My beautiful wife is smart with money.

Best wishes for your retirement when it gets here.

• 1 month later...

32 more work HOURS.  Thanks to Memorial day holiday.

My coworkers had the party today and a new Bills shirt was a highlight.

The gift card for PGA Superstore was THE highlight.  

• Like (+1) 5

48 minutes ago, LewPort71 said:

With only 32 hours left, I think it’s almost time that you stop bothering with wearing pants. Go out with a bang! 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 4/4/2020 at 10:55 AM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...as I tell my kids, "I'll probably EXPIRE before I RETIRE......"......I'm the dumbazz that keeps going daily at age 67.......colleagues say, "only way you go out is on a gurney".........

I went to 68.  Would have left sooner but the contents of my paycheck shifted due to my employer's bankruptcy!   35 years!! :doh:

I was blessed and found another job and worked there for another 12 years. .

Seriously, I worked with a lot of people who either didn't live to retire or died very shortly after.  Been retired for 4+ years, and it's been good.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/22/2020 at 5:54 PM, LewPort71 said:

And chance we get an exciting ending in the next week?  Major embezzlement?  Caught with the boss’ wife?

Edited by KD in CA
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 4/2/2020 at 4:34 PM, Augie said:

CONGRATS! 

Any plans on how you’ll spend all that free time? It’s cool at first, then I had to find a new routine of some type. Now? Even that is taken away and I’m almost always on the couch, sleeping late or asking the dog if she wants to go for yet another walk. 

image.jpeg

Here is a lesson....free time does not exist. 

12 hours ago, Augie said:

With only 32 hours left, I think it’s almost time that you stop bothering with wearing pants. Go out with a bang! 

Pants in the lab are a requirement.  LOL

Spilling Hydrochloric or Nitric acid would not be a good thing on the legs.

The training of my replacement has gone well.

She has documented everything.

• Like (+1) 1

I am negative countdown, + 9 years 11 months 23 days. Heading for 10 years May 31.

Watch the first year.

3 to 6 months you will have fun, weather is great, travel (maybe), projects, clean garage, buy the table saw you always wanted etc. Clean your fishing tackle, new line on your rods, wax the car, afternoon delight, 

If you have had a stress filled job where your were expected to have and did have answers and control and some authority then suddenly nobody asks you, and now you must plan your day., your stress changes and is harmful. Watch your measurables, bp, cholesterol . Too many friends saw heart problems in yr one

Get past year 1 and its beautiful....

All the best?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Congrats!! Get in a few thousand rounds of gold for all those days you were driving in and seeing an awesome 72 degree, sunny day and you are heading to work rather than the golf course.  I hope that I can pull that off someday. I just haven't figured out when is enough, enough? No pensions, just 401K and IRAs. I still am barely under 60, so I still have time to figure it out. Although after commuting to NYC for 38 years, I really want to stop the commute, maybe go into a semi retired state if that exists.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/2/2020 at 2:58 PM, LewPort71 said:

Today is the "Heinz" day towards retirement.  57 more to go.

Those are calendar days. 

My replacement has been hired and training begins Monday.

Fortunately, this was a person who left the company.  They found

out the grass isn't always greener on the other side and

is coming back.  I had begun the training with this person and was crushed when

they left.  Now they are back , training wont be difficult.

Mrs. Lew wishes it was 5.7 days as the knotheads she works with

are becoming more knotheadier each day.

Congratulations Lewwwwwwwwwwwww

• Thank you (+1) 1

Turned in the front door key today.

YAY

Mrs. Lew turned hers in of Thursday.

We both were celebrated with lunches at respective work places.

The office peeps know of my love for the Bills and golf, so

I got 4 dozen Buffalo Bill logoed gal balls.

And booze.  Between us we got 4 bottles of booze including Crown Royal

Reserve, Don Julio Tequila and 2 bottles of flavored moonshine (appropriate for WV)

Cheers.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

2 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

Turned in the front door key today.

YAY

Mrs. Lew turned hers in of Thursday.

We both were celebrated with lunches at respective work places.

The office peeps know of my love for the Bills and golf, so

I got 4 dozen Buffalo Bill logoed gal balls.

And booze.  Between us we got 4 bottles of booze including Crown Royal

Reserve, Don Julio Tequila and 2 bottles of flavored moonshine (appropriate for WV)

Cheers.

Congrats man. Cheers to the next chapter in your life. Milk it for all its worth. 

• Like (+1) 1

I can retire in 40 days if I want from BOCES where I support student management systems for 52 school districts. But with 30 days vacation available in July (start of new school year), I offered management the option of staying through Labor Day if they let me use vacation so I only work 2 days a week in July and August, to help my successors to transition. Otherwise I’ll just retire in July and get paid for vacation days.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/23/2020 at 10:32 AM, LewPort71 said:

Pants in the lab are a requirement.  LOL

Spilling Hydrochloric or Nitric acid would not be a good thing on the legs.

The training of my replacement has gone well.

She has documented everything.

The legs!?  That wasn't the first thing I thought of when you mentioned working in a lab! 

I can think of other junk I would want to protect more!   LOL

I think we have all been living vicariously through your countdown.

Good luck!

On 5/23/2020 at 5:27 PM, Guffalo said:

Congrats!! Get in a few thousand rounds of gold for all those days you were driving in and seeing an awesome 72 degree, sunny day and you are heading to work rather than the golf course.  I hope that I can pull that off someday. I just haven't figured out when is enough, enough? No pensions, just 401K and IRAs. I still am barely under 60, so I still have time to figure it out. Although after commuting to NYC for 38 years, I really want to stop the commute, maybe go into a semi retired state if that exists.

My commute for the past 30 years was approx. 100 miles round trip.  I calculated I drove approx. 700K miles in that time. Mrs. Lew and I drove approx. 800  mile   

per  week. Our Exxon bill is going to be next to nothing.

2 rounds of golf (Sat & Sun)  have been accomplished. 998 more to go.

• Like (+1) 2