The official retirement count down

LewPort71

Today is the "Heinz" day towards retirement.  57 more to go.

Those are calendar days. 

My replacement has been hired and training begins Monday.

Fortunately, this was a person who left the company.  They found

out the grass isn't always greener on the other side and

is coming back.  I had begun the training with this person and was crushed when

they left.  Now they are back , training wont be difficult.

Mrs. Lew wishes it was 5.7 days as the knotheads she works with

are becoming more knotheadier each day.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Best of luck! 

I can think of many of my co-workers, along the way that either didn't make it, or only lived for a year or two after.  I've been retired for 4 years and miss the pay but not the BS!  You will wonder how you had the time to go to work.

1 hour ago, LewPort71 said:

Today is the "Heinz" day towards retirement.  57 more to go.

Those are calendar days. 

My replacement has been hired and training begins Monday.

Fortunately, this was a person who left the company.  They found

out the grass isn't always greener on the other side and

is coming back.  I had begun the training with this person and was crushed when

they left.  Now they are back , training wont be difficult.

Mrs. Lew wishes it was 5.7 days as the knotheads she works with

are becoming more knotheadier each day.

CONGRATS! 

Any plans on how you’ll spend all that free time? It’s cool at first, then I had to find a new routine of some type. Now? Even that is taken away and I’m almost always on the couch, sleeping late or asking the dog if she wants to go for yet another walk. 

image.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2

my earliest out is November 1 which would give me 33.75 years. I was thinking of going until March 1 2021 for an even 34 years. Retiring into a pandemic does seem that much fun so we'll see what shakes out as this evolves. I still have kids at home and won't be debt free so I will likely work at something at least part time to supplement the pension income. 

Hoping your plans and your health work in your favour

23 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I’m retired with a pension. 
The bad news: I’m on a fixed income.

The good news: I’m on a fixed income. 

Retirement varies quite a bit. Are you still a hound dog?

In my mind I'm almost there but the numbers say different. 4 months till I can take from my 401k with no penalty, just tax.

Good luck - my goal was to retire at 55 and made it.  Luckily I worked for a good company with a good pension and salaries.

Everyone is different but I suspect most would retire too early then too late.  Who knows that the future brings.

I ended up doing consulting this winter - was not looking but the $ was too good to pass up.  Was not bored but it was a great opportunity with minimal stress.  So there are always options post retirement - consulting, volunteering, mentoring, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, T&C said:

Retirement varies quite a bit. Are you still a hound dog?

In my mind I'm almost there but the numbers say different. 4 months till I can take from my 401k with no penalty, just tax.

I can take from my 401k, but I don’t plan to for now.  I assume it will recover after a few years.  I turn 63 this month.  We can live for a while on my pension and my wife’s salary/pension (she retires in a year).  Our only big expenses are trips that we’ve been planning. We’re have reservations to go to Germany this summer, but I don’t know if it will happen. Last summer we went to Scotland.  I’m hoping to hold off on collecting social security until 65 or so.  If/when we decide to move to be closer to kids and grandkids, we will use 401k money to get a nice house.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

I can take from my 401k, but I don’t plan to for now.  I assume it will recover after a few years.  I turn 63 this month.  We can live for a while on my pension and my wife’s salary/pension (she retires in a year).  Our only big expenses are trips that we’ve been planning. We’re have reservations to go to Germany this summer, but I don’t know if it will happen. Last summer we went to Scotland.  I’m hoping to hold off on collecting social security until 65 or so.  If/when we decide to move to be closer to kids and grandkids, we will use 401k money to get a nice house.

pensions are almost unheard of these days... you are lucky. I have property that will sell well but I'm waiting a bit... till this all blows over, if ever.

• Like (+1) 2