Brandon Beane press conference 4/2 & One Bills Live

32 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

If JK Dobbins, Deandre Swift or Jonathan Taylor start falling in the second round I believe good chance Beane trades up to get one of them.  Singletary is a nice player.  But he is not the game changer many think he is.  Need two good RB's to win in the NFL.  Beane loves to trade up.  We have 7 picks-more then we need.  I would be happy to come out of this draft w 3 or 4 good players.  RB WR and an edge rusher or CB.  Daryl Williams will solve our need at RT.  Still need at least a couple more weapons on offense.  Good D will only take us so far.   

I don't want to sell Singletary short. I saw a stat of the most 10+ yard runs in a season since 2014 and there was Singletary at the top followed by Jonathan Taylor. He's already proven to be a game changer IMO. 

Singletary is built a lot like McCoy in many ways. McCoy carried the ball a lot In his career and stayed relatively healthy. 

Reality is that most teams split up carries now. We need another RB. 

56 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

If JK Dobbins, Deandre Swift or Jonathan Taylor start falling in the second round I believe good chance Beane trades up to get one of them.  Singletary is a nice player.  But he is not the game changer many think he is.  Need two good RB's to win in the NFL.  Beane loves to trade up.  We have 7 picks-more then we need.  I would be happy to come out of this draft w 3 or 4 good players.  RB WR and an edge rusher or CB.  Daryl Williams will solve our need at RT.  Still need at least a couple more weapons on offense.  Good D will only take us so far.   

Keep an eye on Joshua Kelley.

52 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Not sure that’s the reaction people would have after seeing Beane’s quote...the phrase “as it stands...” clearly means we currently have no one on the roster who is better, but the door is always open for an upgrade...

And this would make sense as the team showed last year that they did not view Singletary as a workhorse rb, but rather a 10-12 carry change of pace rb...

Yep, that is classic GM-speak which pretty much means "If we can bring in a better RB, we will, and are looking to do so".

If I were the Bills I'd take all the draft talk off of Zoom immediately, considering the security issues with that program. After all (putting tin foil hat on) Bob Kraft was in China getting med supplies and Zoom key codes! :w00t:

• Like (+1) 1

One of the great things about Beane is that, while he chooses his words carefully and uses "GM-speak" here and there, he is also very straightforward and honest. He is not going to bad-mouth a player like Yeldon who is on the current roster -- but that doesn't mean he will ignore the need for an upgrade.

As he says, the team has to be flexible heading into the draft. I agree also the "as it stands" clarifier regarding Devin makes it clear that he would like to add more competition there. If a RB that the Bills feel is a potential "bell cow" backs is available in the 2nd round, I could absolutely see Beane trading up to get him. Meanwhile, if that opportunity isn't there, I could also see him waiting until the middle rounds to address the position -- and pick up a complimentary back to Devin.

• Like (+1) 3

On 4/2/2020 at 11:50 AM, H2o said:

I know we haven't advanced in the playoffs yet, but Beane/McDermott have torn it down and built this thing from the ground up basically in 3 years, while still making the playoffs 2 out of those 3, and after a 17 year drought. It's amazing to think we have a top tier organization, FO, and staff at this point, but it is becoming a reality my friends and fellow Bills fans. :thumbsup:

Year one, plenty on here were suggesting it would be 5 years ???

23 hours ago, eball said:

As I suspected and mentioned in an earlier thread, Beane wasn't one of the GMs wanting the draft pushed back.  He and his staff are prepared.

Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.

Beane is Da Man!!!!

17 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He mentioned looking into trading for various WRs and some didn’t work out because the team wanted to trade to nfc ... something to that affect 

Gotcha... It makes sense but I thought he might have been referring to a WR at the trade deadline last year.  

Also wasn’t NE rumoured to be in on Hopkins but thought it was too rich?  That’s the only thing that makes me wonder whether he was referring to Hopkins.

23 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Because he’s lying :) (imo of course) 

word tricks

Confident in his abilities = we know his limitations and his strengths .

i would be surprised if he ever lied. No Gettlemen in Buffalo thank gosh

40 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Gotcha... It makes sense but I thought he might have been referring to a WR at the trade deadline last year.  

Also wasn’t NE rumoured to be in on Hopkins but thought it was too rich?  That’s the only thing that makes me wonder whether he was referring to Hopkins.

NE was rumored to be in on Diggs. Not sure about Hopkins 

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Beane is refreshing in so many ways for us Bills fans. First and foremost, it's obviously how he's built the roster and then managed the Cap, and then built a very strong FO. But also, as fans, since we don't hear from the GM in this type of interview very often, how he handles the questions and how he answers without pulling punches but at the same time without giving away their strategy or inner perspective, is simply wonderful. 

He provides depth of information without too much specifics that hinder their plans for the future and honest about players' contributions without leaving them out to dry for all the world to see. It's a nuanced dance of information exchange and I'm here for it. Once again, well done Beane! Go Bills!

Its fairly impressive to watch the man work his mojo on camera and quotes from interviews.

Dude is wired right and tight.
i am taking notes and inspired by his demeanor.

for real.

finally recovered from Whaley and Rex i think !

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If I were the Bills I'd take all the draft talk off of Zoom immediately, considering the security issues with that program. After all (putting tin foil hat on) Bob Kraft was in China getting med supplies and Zoom key codes! :w00t:

your a weird Robot.

okay . you're. fixed

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yep, that is classic GM-speak which pretty much means "If we can bring in a better RB, we will, and are looking to do so".

It’s hedging and you hear it from anyone who does public speaking - coaches, politicians, CEO’s etc.  if the Bills do pick up a new #1 running back they’ll say “well he WAS the #1 back AT THAT TIME.”

• Like (+1) 1

The 2 big takeaways I got from the hour were he plans on acquiring a Power Back, wanted to keep Gore in the lineup last year for a downhill presence. 

The 2nd is they want to make the Special Teams elite which makes me think a late rounder may be used on a Punter.