Cowboys sign Aldon Smith

I didn’t see a separate thread on this and felt like circumstances warranted it. I really thought that it was an April Fool’s joke. He hasn’t played since the 2015 season!! Obviously he was a great talent but struggled mightily with addiction. 

This one is so interesting to me. Smith’s issues are well beyond that of Josh Gordon IMO. Gordon was a danger to himself. Smith was a danger to everyone. I hope that he stays clean and gets his life back on track. I’m just shocked that someone would take a shot on ANYONE this far removed from their last game, let alone someone with Smith’s checkered past.

You're shocked?  Jerry Jones signed Greg Hardy despite him beating the hell out of his girlfriend.  This move screams of desperation to me and I can't wait for this team to fail again.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, H2o said:

Has he even been reinstated yet? I guess Smith and Gregory will be best of friends almost immediately. 

it doesn’t appear so. I believe the deal is contingent on that reinstatement.

I suggested this in the thread not that long ago that buffalo should kick his tires. 
He’s a meathead but he fits that pass rusher we all desperately wanted/needed on a cheap prove it deal. 
Be interesting to see if they let him play again and if he has anything left after being out so long 

10 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I suggested this in the thread not that long ago that buffalo should kick his tires. 
He’s a meathead but he fits that pass rusher we all desperately wanted/needed on a cheap prove it deal. 
Be interesting to see if they let him play again and if he has anything left after being out so long 

He would have to stay out of trouble for longer than 10 whole months for me to be on board with that.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I didn’t see a separate thread on this and felt like circumstances warranted it. I really thought that it was an April Fool’s joke. He hasn’t played since the 2015 season!! Obviously he was a great talent but struggled mightily with addiction. 

This one is so interesting to me. Smith’s issues are well beyond that of Josh Gordon IMO. Gordon was a danger to himself. Smith was a danger to everyone. I hope that he stays clean and gets his life back on track. I’m just shocked that someone would take a shot on ANYONE this far removed from their last game, let alone someone with Smith’s checkered past.

It was in the locked Jay Glazer thread from last night.

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You're shocked?  Jerry Jones signed Greg Hardy despite him beating the hell out of his girlfriend.  This move screams of desperation to me and I can't wait for this team to fail again.

He wasn’t out of the league for 5 years at the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Wow!  He has not played since 2015?!  I actually had to look up his list of offenses, which is a laundry list of DUIs and DV incidents - including some as recent as 2019.   I don’t see how he gets reinstated to play, but it is a very Cowboys move to bring him in. 

Why are we surprised? We have been on both sides with Richie Incognito. Richie has now done well with the Raiders. It would be such a wonderful story if Aldon Smith is able to put his life together. I understand the caution, but I am rooting for him to succeed. What a massive talent he was / is? I remember during the 2012 Super Bowl, people were saying he should have gone higher in the draft (and he had gone #7!!). That was how hood he was.

If the nfl really cared about cleaning up the league (they don’t), they would hold teams accountable and penalize them for repeating signing scumbags. Plastic face loves signings scumbags and he doesn’t suffer for it.  If his team got penalized a draft pick when one of these scumbags does it again, he would think twice about it.

but the nfl has some huge double standards.  Beat women ok. Silently take a knee ?.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

If the nfl really cared about cleaning up the league (they don’t), they would hold teams accountable and penalize them for repeating signing scumbags. Plastic face loves signings scumbags and he doesn’t suffer for it.  If his team got penalized a draft pick when one of these scumbags does it again, he would think twice about it.

but the nfl has some huge double standards.  Beat women ok. Silently take a knee ?.

That's not just the NFL, but sadly fans too. Plenty here even.

• Like (+1) 3

Reminds me of a number of years ago when Lawrence Phillips made a comeback After a few years off. I think the bills were close to Signing him; he ended up with the niners and was a shell of his old self. 

sadly, he ended up back in jail, killed his cell mate, and then committee suicide. 

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Nah, cause a lot of problems while on the raiders. You know damn well if you can’t make it on the Raiders or Browns, then  Your career is pretty much done Lol. I wish him the best nonetheless 

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Reminds me of a number of years ago when Lawrence Phillips made a comeback After a few years off. I think the bills were close to Signing him; he ended up with the niners and was a shell of his old self. 

sadly, he ended up back in jail, killed his cell mate, and then committee suicide. 

If I remember correctly he played in Miami and was a bust there. Talk about a tragic life

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Why are we surprised? We have been on both sides with Richie Incognito. Richie has now done well with the Raiders. It would be such a wonderful story if Aldon Smith is able to put his life together. I understand the caution, but I am rooting for him to succeed. What a massive talent he was / is? I remember during the 2012 Super Bowl, people were saying he should have gone higher in the draft (and he had gone #7!!). That was how hood he was.

I think incognito is one concussion away from ending up completely brain dead. He still thinks he hears voices in his head. I was happy when we cut him loose. He was out of control

Edited by BuffaloBills1998

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's not just the NFL, but sadly fans too. Plenty here even.

Forgot when someone was out of the league for 5 years for taking a knee. But cool posts!

• Like (+1) 2