Could Pats tank for Lawrence?

Could you see the Pats trying to tank for Lawence this year?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Could you see the Pats trying to tank for Lawence this year?

• Yes
    • No

25 minutes ago, The Fiend said:

No they would not tank. Belichick wants to prove he can win without Brady, and tanking would show just the opposite.

Or he knows you need a franchise qb and has seen what finishing in the 6 to 7 win pergatory looks like close up in the afc east for 20 years and is the most calculated coach and gm in the league.

24 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Nobody really believes that, or cares

Great contribution

Not a chance.  BB has immense amount of pride.  No way he tries to go 2 and 14 next season.  TB leaves and now he is a bad coach.   Kills his legacy.  

Plus, he does not have time to waste 3 to 4 years of developing a young QB.  IIRC he is the oldest coach in the league. 

Plus, it is such a gamble.   Like Tua, what if Trevor gets hurt.   Would have been for nothing. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

If BB thinks he can sacrifice one season to get another stud qb and potentially another ring within the next 5 years then yes I can see him doing so...if they don’t draft a qb this year that is. 

Personally I don’t see BB going anywhere anytime soon. 

Idc if they do or don’t. There’s only one deflator and he’s in TB. Trevor will never have the career he did.

and thankfully Mahomes is out west, but he’s the one that stands in our way of a championship.

***** the pats. ***** Trevor Lawrence 

Edited by GETTOTHE50
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JetsFan20 said:

They still have a top 5 defense in the NFL. Other than Van Noy who else did they lose?

Given their cap situation I’m shocked they franchised Joe Thuney, but that’s another sign they aren’t tanking. 

They lost Collins, Harmon and Shelton too. The front 7 should be significantly worse than last year. Their defense should still be okay but doubt that they are top 5.

6 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Idc if they do or don’t. There’s only one deflator and he’s in TB. Trevor will never have the career he did.

and thankfully Mahomes is out west, but he’s the one that stands in our way of a championship.

***** the pats. ***** Trevor Lawrence 

Your bold prediction is that Trevor Lawrence will never be the greatest player of all-time? Way to go out on a limb there.

• Haha (+1) 4

No Freakin Way.  BB’s ego would never allow it.  He’ll do everything he can to win, but unless they get Dalton maybe in a trade and have an incredible draft, he can only coach so well.  His Achilles heel (in my humble opinion) is hubris.

They'd rather pull off a great trade for their AB next year.  I’m watching Beane and McD building a great team that is built for the future, and after the draft, like many fans in many cities, we’ll be even more excited in May.  God knows we have to have something to look forward to doing as FL is now in complete lockdown, and everything in my industry is in a  hiring freeze.  A pleasant distraction is helpful to many of us.

• Like (+1) 1

Depends on your definition of tanking.

I don't believe that players lose on purpose, for any reason.  Especially so they can be replaced by a younger player/draft pick.

Even if a player isn't motivated by personal integrity (and some definitely are), they are most certainly motivated by things like money, stats and pride.  All of those are affected when you purposely tank on the field.

For coaches, it probably depends on the situation and how much job security they feel.  Again, I don't think many coaches are willing to lose on purpose.  But they may replace a veteran and play someone younger and inexperienced... realizing future seasons are more important than winning that week's game.  If you really think about it, it's no different than benching starters in Week 17 to have a better chance in the playoffs.

General Managers on the other hand, are always making moves with the future in mind.  They may trade valuable/star players for future picks, or purge the roster of bloated contracts (exactly what Buffalo did when Brandon Beane came on board).  But the GM cannot control what actually happens on the field.  Which is why we ultimately went 9-7 in our "tank" season, made the playoffs, and required two additional trade-ups to get into the Top 10 and land Josh Allen.

With all that said, the signs DO point that New England's front office is NOT trying to field the most competitive team in 2020 (and Bill Belichick is both coach and GM).  They have made virtually no moves in free agency, lost several key pieces, and most importantly have not replaced Tom Brady at QB (at least not yet).  Things could change and they could sign Cam Newton, Andy Dalton or Jameis Winston.  But if they go into the season with Jarrett Stidham, it's clear they are definitely counting 2020 as a lost season.  If they are targeting Trevor Lawrence, they will probably need to start trading players away though.  I think the defense is too good for them to reach the #1 pick.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Pat's are going to suck so bad everyone will say they are tanking even though the are not. Don't underestimate Belicheat he would definitely do it to rebuild a dynasty in a second.

Edited by ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!!