Roster Spots Filling Up

mjt328

21 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Well, about cutting somebody you paid a roster bonus to.  Maybe rather than cutting those guys, they might trade them away near the end of the preseason to other teams that find holes or injuries in their lineups.   You could then (maybe) justify the roster bonus as an investment in getting a 4,5,6 draft pick next year.   If they stockpile a bunch of these, they can use them as ammo to move up in the 1st three rounds to get targeted players- like they have been doing.

You think someone would trade for Murphys contract?  Johnson could see that happening, but what are you going to get for a former 7th rounder that you're obviously trying to get rid of.  At best a 6th rounder.  Same with a guy like Williams, a guy who couldn't make an NFL roster the past two plus seasons.  

You may get a couple of 6th rounders if lucky but not anything close to moving up in the first 3 rounds.

Teams ware willing to mybe let go 6th, sometimes a 5th if a really good situation, but not much higher.

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

You think someone would trade for Murphys contract?  Johnson could see that happening, but what are you going to get for a former 7th rounder that you're obviously trying to get rid of.  At best a 6th rounder.  Same with a guy like Williams, a guy who couldn't make an NFL roster the past two plus seasons.  

You may get a couple of 6th rounders if lucky but not anything close to moving up in the first 3 rounds.

Teams ware willing to mybe let go 6th, sometimes a 5th if a really good situation, but not much higher.

Well, even a 6th rounder can have some value in horse trading.  We got a 7th rounder back from Minni in the Diggs trade.

21 hours ago, Augie said:

I wonder how that ranks as a percentage of snaps? 

I looked up that he played 319 snaps  this season.  In terms of percent that ends up less than 1% of the snaps he plays he takes a penalty.  Doesn't seem bad.

Then I saw that our team as a whole last year had 26 false start penalties and 25 offensive holding penalties.

Smith himself had 5 false start penalties and 4 offensive holding penalties.  Which equals 19% and 16% of Buffalo's penalties taken by one player.  That does seem bad.

I'm pretty new to football but have been following more and more the last few years.  I didn't look too hard into the stats or websites I went to so I may be wrong on what I've compiled here but if anyone knows more please feel free to educate me!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Heffay said:

I looked up that he played 319 snaps  this season.  In terms of percent that ends up less than 1% of the snaps he plays he takes a penalty.  Doesn't seem bad.

Then I saw that our team as a whole last year had 26 false start penalties and 25 offensive holding penalties.

Smith himself had 5 false start penalties and 4 offensive holding penalties.  Which equals 19% and 16% of Buffalo's penalties taken by one player.  That does seem bad.

I'm pretty new to football but have been following more and more the last few years.  I didn't look too hard into the stats or websites I went to so I may be wrong on what I've compiled here but if anyone knows more please feel free to educate me!

It looks even worse if you consider how few snaps he had in relation to many of the other players. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, inthebuff said:

I really believe that Beane will sign a veteran RB to further mentor/push Singletary.  McD likes to have a veteran in the room and that person is not TJ Yeldon.  

Great analysis.

Agreed and agreed

New CBA adds players. 

They will definitely add a third QB to the roster even if he is a low round prospect.

I don't see DiMarco as a lock with the special teams guys they signed. I think they keep 4 TEs and use Sweeny or Kroft as a FB/Hback when needed.

They will add a RB in the draft and I would not be surprised if they don't bring in another vet by trade.

That leaves a Punter in the draft and two edge guys in the draft. They are old and still not explosive on the edges at both DE and OLB.

The draft is so deep at WR they still may grab a great player on day 3 that could push for the final spot. 

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

New CBA adds players. 

They will definitely add a third QB to the roster even if he is a low round prospect.

I don't see DiMarco as a lock with the special teams guys they signed. I think they keep 4 TEs and use Sweeny or Kroft as a FB/Hback when needed.

They will add a RB in the draft and I would not be surprised if they don't bring in another vet by trade.

That leaves a Punter in the draft and two edge guys in the draft. They are old and still not explosive on the edges at both DE and OLB.

The draft is so deep at WR they still may grab a great player on day 3 that could push for the final spot. 

Well as to QB.  If you can not imagine this guy ever starting, then why?   They can get a veteran who could contribute immediately (by sitting on the bench).