RB Breakdown by Measurables/Metrics

I put together something similar for the WRs (which can be seen on the 3rd tab of this spreadsheet), but the RB stuff is on the 4th tab.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EGcKt-3OhHND7shQmY9LREGwBxtnUcFwQtQDz2U-3tk/edit?usp=sharing

The first two columns identify RBs that we've scouted, met with, FaceTimed, etc.

Dominator rating comes from PlayerProfiler.com...it basically shows the percentage of the offense's production that the player is responsible for. Anything above 40% is generally considered to be elite.

Should be noted that the rest of the numbers are specific to this past season. So for example, AJ Dillon only dropped 1 pass this year on 16 targets, but his career drop % is much worse than that. I just don't have those numbers for all the prospects.

Rush grade, elusive rating, and yards after contact are pulled from PFF's draft guide. Missed tackles forced/att is based on PFF's missed tackle numbers divided by total carries (this number is specifically for how they did as runners, not in the receiving game). Breakaway % = the percentage of their yards that were accumulated on 15+ yard runs (so for example, if a guy runs for 100 yards but 90 of it came on one play, breakaway % would be 90%). Drop % is based on PFF's drop numbers divided by total targets. The rest is just pulled from their regular stats and or NFL Combine numbers.

Edit: For reference, I put this chart together last year that shared some of the same metrics.

sLQU8Ws.0.png

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

.. Well here is a Cliff’s Notes version

Rank      Guy        bills met   Dominator Rush grade elude  breakaway

1              Swift         Yes           21%              80            71          37%

2              E-Helaire  No           19%              92            115         45%

3              Taylor        No           42                90            104         39%

4              Dobbins   No            28%             84              93        48%

5              Akers      YES             40%              83               126      33%

6            Moss            No           36               92           176         44

12           Beng.       YES            37%              80               70        52%

9              Dillon       No             34%             90            71        32%       

Okay, I don’t understand what those parameters mean. Moss looks like the best guy. I don’t see a big guy winning “elude” and “breakaway”.

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

I can't see them going RB before the 4th round.  Who is a good prospect who bring something different from Devin?

Any of the top 6 will surely be an improvement over Singletary.

7 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

1              Swift         Yes           21%              80            71          37%

2              E-Helaire  No           19%              92            115         45%

3              Taylor        No           42                90            104         39%

4              Dobbins   No            28%             84              93        48%

5              Akers      YES             40%              83               126      33%

6            Moss            No           36               92           176         44

12           Beng.       YES            37%              80               70        52%

9              Dillon       No             34%             90            71        32%       

Okay, I don’t understand what those parameters mean. Moss looks like the best guy. I don’t see a big guy winning “elude” and “breakaway”.

Improvement?

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Singletary had a YPC of 5.4, was a dynamic playmaker, and had he not been hurt would have likely had well over 1000 yards and have been in the RotY conversation. Surely that just came out wrong. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

With regard to the elusive rating, people tend to think elusive = juking people out because that's how it's defined in Madden. Elusive Rating is more about forcing missed tackles, whether it's side-stepping guys so that you can easily run through arm tackles, juking people out, or just bouncing off guys. Moss is more about the arm tackles and bouncing off guys. So for example, in the video below, they would probably say the first two plays in this highlight video are 4 or 5 eluded defenders.

As for breakaway %, that one is simple. He had a ton of big runs at Utah. Speed isn't really necessary to bust off big runs, especially if you're as elusive as hard to tackle as he is.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

With regard to the elusive rating, people tend to think elusive = juking people out because that's how it's defined in Madden. Elusive Rating is more about forcing missed tackles, whether it's side-stepping guys so that you can easily run through arm tackles, juking people out, or just bouncing off guys. Moss is more about the arm tackles and bouncing off guys. So for example, in the video below, they would probably say the first two plays in this highlight video are 4 or 5 eluded defenders.

As for breakaway %, that one is simple. He had a ton of big runs at Utah. Speed isn't really necessary to bust off big runs, especially if you're as elusive as hard to tackle as he is.

He looks faster than his 4.65 40 time - fast for a guy who likes to bang heads.  

4 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

i can't remember where i saw it but singletary had some advanced analytics that he had more separation from defenders than any rb last year. is that the elusive number i'm seeing on this chart?

Probably two different things but I would imagine what you're referring to would be pretty closely aligned to the Breakaway %.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

What am I missing when I watch Moss?  I have watched a number of his full game videos and he strikes me as “OK”, but not special.  3rd or 4th round maybe?

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Actually Madden has a juke and elusiveness rating

Elusiveness is exactly what you said. The ability to break through arm tackles and make people miss without necessarily juking . Just running and change of direction. How slippery you are

21 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

What am I missing when I watch Moss?  I have watched a number of his full game videos and he strikes me as “OK”, but not special.  3rd or 4th round maybe?

I view him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder and my #4 or 5 RB in the class. PFF has him in the 2nd round as arguably the #1 RB in the class. Their elusive rating tends to be the thing that translates best from college to the NFL and Moss is one of if not the most elusive back they've ever scouted. So he's pretty much insanely difficult to tackle, has good awareness of second level defenders, is a good pass blocker, and did a decent job catching the ball this year...there's not much not to like with him.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I view him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder and my #4 or 5 RB in the class. PFF has him in the 2nd round as arguably the #1 RB in the class. Their elusive rating tends to be the thing that translates best from college to the NFL and Moss is one of if not the most elusive back they've ever scouted. So he's pretty much insanely difficult to tackle, has good awareness of second level defenders, is a good pass blocker, and did a decent job catching the ball this year...there's not much not to like with him.

I can see maybe 3rd.  I don’t think he at is at the level of Taylor, Edwards-Helaire, Dobbins or even Akers.  I do think he is considerably better than AJ Dillon.  Just my opinion and while I love following the draft, I am certainly not qualified to claim any scouting expertise.

Edited by OldTimer1960