Emmanuel Sanders spoke to Bills asked for a night to think about it and we traded for Diggs

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

What are you basing this on?  Did they call him back?  

He chose to look elsewhere after seeing what the Bills did. I’m sure they didn’t tell him they were pursuing Diggs when they made their offer. They wanted him for a certain price and he declined. What’s so difficult to understand here?

Just now, eball said:

He chose to look elsewhere after seeing what the Bills did. I’m sure they didn’t tell him they were pursuing Diggs when they made their offer. They wanted him for a certain price and he declined. What’s so difficult to understand here?

When did he decline?

If they wanted him and Diggs, why didn't they call him back to see where he was on the offer after they signed Diggs?

Maybe, just maybe.....we should stop guessing here? Nobody knows how this went down except those on the inside. 

I’m very happy with the end result, and I love what Beane came up with. I’ll leave it at...........HAPPY!   :)

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

How was Sanders the backup plan if they made him the offer first?  Had he said yes, they would not have traded tor Diggs.

Also, it's pretty hard to argue that  Sanders to Brees is being "left out in the cold"...

He really didn't seem to broken up about it (his conclusion: "ok").  He seems pretty pumped to be going to NO.

I do not see that a firm offer was made.  It sounded like they were at a point where they were getting into specifics, but not finalizing anything.  The real telltale sign is that the Bills didn’t circle back to him before executing the deal for Diggs.  They had time to make a phone call to his agent to see if he had made up his mind.  They didn’t. 

Juat because Sanders found a better situation after the Bills traded for Diggs doesn’t mean that the Bills hadn’t moved on from him.  He wasn’t out in the cold long and he found a real warm place.  Good for him.  He is still a Very good WR and it worked out for him.  But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a little hurt that the Bills moved on without that phone call. 

Edited by BarleyNY

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

When did he decline?

If they wanted him and Diggs, why didn't they call him back to see where he was on the offer after they signed Diggs?

You're making assumptions about what communication did or didn't take place based upon one quote from an interview.  Sanders didn't say he never spoke with them again, and the Bills have said nothing on the subject.  The Bills apparently made Sanders an offer and he chose not to accept it -- that's all we "know."

My theory is the one that makes the most logical sense; it's unrealistic to believe the Bills viewed Sanders and Diggs equally and only went for Diggs after Sanders put them on hold.  They would have been happy with both but Diggs was their primary target.

49 minutes ago, eball said:

You're making assumptions about what communication did or didn't take place based upon one quote from an interview.  Sanders didn't say he never spoke with them again, and the Bills have said nothing on the subject.  The Bills apparently made Sanders an offer and he chose not to accept it -- that's all we "know."

My theory is the one that makes the most logical sense; it's unrealistic to believe the Bills viewed Sanders and Diggs equally and only went for Diggs after Sanders put them on hold.  They would have been happy with both but Diggs was their primary target.

He asked for time to think about it.  That we know.  That's not "he chose not to accept it" or "he declined".

9 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

I do not see that a firm offer was made.  It sounded like they were at a point where they were getting into specifics, but not finalizing anything.  The real telltale sign is that the Bills didn’t circle back to him before executing the deal for Diggs.  They had time to make a phone call to his agent to see if he had made up his mind.  They didn’t. 

Juat because Sanders found a better situation after the Bills traded for Diggs doesn’t mean that the Bills hadn’t moved on from him.  He wasn’t out in the cold long and he found a real warm place.  Good for him.  He is still a Very good WR and it worked out for him.  But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a little hurt that the Bills moved on without that phone call. 

Yeah, looking back at Sanders' statements, he said he'd think about the "idea," presumably of joining the Bills.  You're right that it doesn't sound like any numbers were talked about.  So like I've been saying, they were talking to him as a contingency in case the Diggs deal fell through, but Diggs was who they really wanted all along.

1 hour ago, eball said:

See above.  The Diggs trade had been in the works for awhile and the Bills were waiting for the Vikings to pull the trigger and using Sanders as a contingency.  There was no offer and he didn't not accept it.

• Like (+1) 1

Beane likely had a number of strategies as it pertains to the WR position headed into Free Agency: Plan A, Plan B, etc. The plan sequence may have been based less on desirability and more on time factors, since free agency operates in such a hasty vacuum.

While Sanders would have certainly been a worthwhile acquisition, I suspect -- given his age -- that signing him would not have precluded the team from making additional moves at the position... for example, a high draft pick in the up coming draft.

We also don't know what other discussions were going on simultaneously. How confident was Beane that he would be able to make the move to get Diggs, for example?

Note also that athletes and their agents like to put their own spin on things. That is, we can't necessarily take what Sanders said at face value. It could be (as he suggests) that the Bills were eager to sign Sanders, worried about not being able to do so when he asked for another day to decide -- and then went full court toward the Vikings with an offer to acquire Diggs. Or, maybe the Diggs deal came up quickly and somewhat unexpectedly during Sanders' wait. Or, maybe the Bills were all in on trying to get Diggs from the beginning and the possibility of signing Sanders was a contingency plan in case they could not make the trade with the Vikings.

I think it is certainly believable that there was mutual interest and Sanders and the Bills may have even got to the point where they had reached an agreement on compensation. However, that does not mean that an offer was firm or that Beane and OBD were ready to consummate a deal.

IMHO, given how free agency operates in the first 48 hours, the fact that Beane allowed Sanders to leave town without a contract tells me that the Bills' pursuit of him was not as epic as Sanders suggests. In the end, I am happy with the move that they made to obtain Diggs -- and I suspect that the front office, coaches and players are too.

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He asked for time to think about it.  That we know.  That's not "he chose not to accept it" or "he declined".

If we really want to be accurate, we don't even know what "it" was.  I'm now beginning to think there was no actual offer extended.  But my point still stands that Diggs was first priority regardless of what the Bills did or did not discuss with Sanders.

3 hours ago, eball said:

If we really want to be accurate, we don't even know what "it" was.  I'm now beginning to think there was no actual offer extended.  But my point still stands that Diggs was first priority regardless of what the Bills did or did not discuss with Sanders.

If there was no offer, what was it that they called him about and that he told them he would have to think about? 

You can make up anything you want I guess.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If there was no offer, what was it that they called him about and that he told them he would have to think about? 

Maybe they asked him if he’d buy season tickets.

7 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No need to make anything up.  Sanders said "let me think about the idea."  He didn't say "contract offer."

1 hour ago, Doc said:

No need to make anything up.  Sanders said "let me think about the idea."  He didn't say "contract offer."

(LOL)

So what "idea" do you think the Bills were pitching Sanders that night on the phone?  Volunteer work in the Bills WR room?  Recipes?  Help with a tricky sudoku?

The article at the top of this thread (has anyone read the OP's post?) states that Sanders was "certainly" implying "that if Sanders had accepted the offer Buffalo put on the table then and there, he’d be shopping for parkas and making the rounds as a new number-one receiving option in the Queen City. Instead, his delay meant that the Bills had to move quickly to secure Diggs before another team could beat them to the punch. It’s funny how things work out."

33 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

(LOL)

So what "idea" do you think the Bills were pitching Sanders that night on the phone?  Volunteer work in the Bills WR room?  Recipes?  Help with a tricky sudoku?

The article at the top of this thread (has anyone read the OP's post?) states that Sanders was "certainly" implying "that if Sanders had accepted the offer Buffalo put on the table then and there, he’d be shopping for parkas and making the rounds as a new number-one receiving option in the Queen City. Instead, his delay meant that the Bills had to move quickly to secure Diggs before another team could beat them to the punch. It’s funny how things work out."

The idea of...joining the team?  I've never once heard of a contract offer being called an "idea."  Have you?

"Here Em, sign this here idea."

Gelber says if he accepted the "offer."  What offer?  Any numbers?  Or just the offer of an idea to join the team?

And without a firm offer, even if Sanders said "okay," they still could/would pursue Diggs and then when they traded for him say to Sanders "we've got a better option.  Thanks anyway."  It's a business after all.

14 minutes ago, Doc said:

The idea of...joining the team?  I've never once heard of a contract offer being called an "idea."  Have you?

"Here Em, sign this here idea."

Gelber says if he accepted the "offer."  What offer?  Any numbers?  Or just the offer of an idea to join the team?

And without a firm offer, even if Sanders said "okay," they still could/would pursue Diggs and then when they traded for him say to Sanders "we've got a better option.  Thanks anyway."  It's a business after all.

Yes!  At that time of the year it’s quite routine for NFL GMs to call FAs  during “The Exchange Of Ideas Period”.   Money can’t be mentioned during this window of time.  Only “ideas” can be put forth.  Should such ideas be found to be mutually intriguing, they enter into the next round of calls known as “The Discussion of Hypothetical Remuneration”.  This continues for several more phases until a player may be signed.

As it turns out, no less than 4 teams would be eager to share their “Ideas” with Sanders before he decided he loved those of the Saints most dearly.