Emmanuel Sanders spoke to Bills asked for a night to think about it and we traded for Diggs

There are people on this board who know a lot more about front office operations than I do, but I would guess this sort of thing is common. Teams are talking to multiple free agents at a time and nothing is set in stone until the contract is signed. I'm sure every team has multiple contingency plans and they have to talk to all of them simultaneously. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

I think you're reading too much into what Sanders said. All he said is he spoke with the Bills and some kind of offer was made. It's not like they were on the verge of finalizing anything. The Bills had been talking with the Vikings about Diggs throughout the day, and supposedly had spoken with them last year too. The more appropriate interpretation is that they wanted a plan B ready to go in case Diggs fell through and Sanders was the plan B.

I am only going on what we know.  See all above.   

I think they were struggling over giving up a 1st for Diggs and would have been fine ion Sanders said yes and they used the pick on WR.   They were never going for both.  Sanders made their decision easy.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

There are people on this board who know a lot more about front office operations than I do, but I would guess this sort of thing is common. Teams are talking to multiple free agents at a time and nothing is set in stone until the contract is signed. I'm sure every team has multiple contingency plans and they have to talk to all of them simultaneously. I don't think it's any more complicated than that.

I think if Sanders came back and said...."and after they traded for Diggs, they called me back and asked what my thoughts about their offer were" I would buy that he was the add on piece to all this.

But he didn't because they never did.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Not hard at all.  They offered Sanders, he didn't say yes.  They then went with the alternative plan--and pulled the trigger on the trade.  Even though the trade was obviously set to go, they did not make it before they called Sanders, and they didn't make any effort to get Sanders after the trade was made.  There is no other conclusion that would follow other than

A:  Sander and keep the #1

B: barring that happening, give top the #1 for Diggs 

The B happened immediately after A

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I think they were struggling over giving up a 1st for Diggs and would have been fine ion Sanders said yes and they used the pick on WR.   They were never going for both.  Sanders made their decision easy.

I think if Sanders came back and said...."and after they traded for Diggs, they called me back and asked what my thoughts about their offer were" I would buy that he was the add on piece to all this.

So Sanders not saying yes means he was out of the picture?  LOL.  No.  He was still very much in the picture because at that point he had no other offers.  The Bills could have made him a bigger offer or even still signed him after trading for Diggs if they really wanted him.  They didn't and apparently thought so much of him that they didn't even bother calling him back. 

The trade happened because the Vikings finally relented on their trade demands or the Bills tossed another pick to get the guy they really wanted.  The timing meant nothing.  And the Bills had no problem giving up a 1st because they were going to use one on a WR in the draft anyway.

Just now, Doc said:

So Sanders not saying yes means he was out of the picture?  LOL.  No.  He was still very much in the picture because at that point he had no other offers.  The Bills could have made him a bigger offer or even still signed him after trading for Diggs if they really wanted him.  They didn't and apparently thought so much of him that they didn't even bother calling him back. 

The trade happened because the Vikings finally relented on their trade demands or the Bills tossed another pick to get the guy they really wanted.  The timing meant nothing.  And the Bills had no problem giving up a 1st because they were going to use one on a WR in the draft anyway.

The Vikings relented minutes after Sanders's didn't take the Bills offer?

The Bills didn't really want him so they called him anyway before they agreed to the Vikings trade demands?   

There is no reason to believe that had Sanders said yes, that they would had then given upon the 1st for Diggs as well.  That doesn't make sense.

8 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Man, this thread has turned into a Mr. WEO special.

trying to put some sort of weird negative twist on this Bills move.

If you couldn't read my posts, yeah, maybe you would struggle and come to that conclusion.

It all worked out well for everyone as I have stated here many times and in the Diggs thread.

No need to pretend it was something other than it obviously was though.  

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Vikings relented minutes after Sanders's didn't take the Bills offer?

The Bills didn't really want him so they called him anyway before they agreed to the Vikings trade demands?   

There is no reason to believe that had Sanders said yes, that they would had then given upon the 1st for Diggs as well.  That doesn't make sense.

Why do you keep disingenuously saying he didn't take the Bills offer?  Wait, I know...

The Bills knew Diggs would cost at least a 1st rounder seeing as how the Vikings were looking for 2 of them last year.  And that if they didn't get a WR in FA, they'd have to use a 1st rounder to draft one so no big deal if they had to give one up for Diggs, a proven WR.  Hell even if they signed Sanders they're still probably drafting a WR in the 1st given the age of the starting WR corps.

Again why didn't they up their offer to Sanders after he said he'd have to think about it or still sign him after trading for Diggs?  That's right, because Diggs was who they really wanted all along.

Edited by Doc

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Why do you keep disingenuously saying he didn't take the Bills offer?  Wait, I know...

The Bills knew he would cost at least a 1st rounder seeing as how they were looking for 2 of them last year.  And that if they didn't get a WR in FA, they'd have to use a 1st rounder to draft one so no big deal if they had to give one up for Diggs, a proven WR.  Hell even if they signed Sanders they're still probably drafting a WR in the 1st given the age of the starting WR corps.

Again why didn't they up their offer to Sanders after he said he'd have to think about it or still sign him after trading for Diggs?  That's right, because Diggs was who they really wanted all along.

He said so.  You said so.  Everyone said so.  This thread started on his say so. 

Anyway..as always, it comes down to a simple question, to  which you just (finally) conceded the correct answer: if Sanders took the offer on the phone right then and there, do you think the Bills go right ahead and trade away the #1 pick to Diggs anyway, rather  than draft a stud WR to pair with Samuels for a few years?

Since they never bothered contacting him again as you have stated, the answer is no.  Sanders says yes, no Diggs.  Go with the plan: Samuels and #1 (the highlighted portion of your thread above).

You always come around, begrudgingly, to the obvious, doc.  If you would have just posted the bolded portions of your above post several posts ago, you would have saved yourself the shoe leather of all that backtracking. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

If you couldn't read my posts, yeah, maybe you would struggle and come to that conclusion.

It all worked out well for everyone as I have stated here many times and in the Diggs thread.

No need to pretend it was something other than it obviously was though.  

I’m not sure what the others are arguing over, there clearly isn’t room for both guys. It was very much an either or scenario. Buffalo did no wrong and got their guy. Why the fuss?

1 minute ago, CommonCents said:

I’m not sure what the others are arguing over, there clearly isn’t room for both guys. It was very much an either or scenario. Buffalo did no wrong and got their guy. Why the fuss?

exactly

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He said so.  You said so.  Everyone said so.  This thread started on his say so. 

Anyway..as always, it comes down to a simple question, to  which you just (finally) conceded the correct answer: if Sanders took the offer on the phone right then and there, do you think the Bills go right ahead and trade away the #1 pick to Diggs anyway, rather  than draft a stud WR to pair with Samuels for a few years?

Since they never bothered contacting him again as you have stated, the answer is no.  Sanders says yes, no Diggs.  Go with the plan: Samuels and #1 (the highlighted portion of your thread above).

You always come around, begrudgingly, to the obvious, doc.  If you would have just posted the bolded portions of your above post several posts ago, you would have saved yourself the shoe leather of all that backtracking. 

or did sanders never reach back to them after he heard the new of the trade and got in contact with N.O 

Anyone can spin it however they want 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Why would he?  

you stated if diggs said no they would have contacted sanders 

I’m saying what if there was interest but never heard from sanders and he signed with n.o 

Why would they contact him in that situation? 

they let him think it over and he chose N.O doesn’t mean they still didn’t want to add him and you don’t know either 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

He never said Buffalo recinded the offer.  They have plenty of cap space for both.  Sounds like Sanders wanted more or he would have signed.  Il think about it is No.  I would rather have Diggs.

Edited by Mat68

1 minute ago, mikemac2001 said:

you stated if diggs said no they would have contacted sanders 

I’m saying what if there was interest but never heard from sanders and he signed with n.o 

Why would they contact him in that situation? 

they let him think it over and he chose N.O doesn’t mean they still didn’t want to add him and you don’t know either 

No.

30 min after he hung up the phone with the Bills, Sanders said he saw they traded for Diggs.  Later he signed with the Saints.  Why would he then contact the Bills?

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

He never said Buffalo recinded the offer.  They have plenty of cap space for both.  Sounds like Sanders wanted more or he would have signed.  Il think about it is No.  I would rather have Diggs.

Neither did I say that.  

They never contacted him after they signed Diggs....because they went with Diggs instead.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No.

30 min after he hung up the phone with the Bills, Sanders said he saw they traded for Diggs.  Later he signed with the Saints.  Why would he then contact the Bills?

Neither did I say that.  

They never contacted him after they signed Diggs....because they went with Diggs instead.

Its not like Sanders was getting s massive deal.  All im saying Sanders said "Ill let you know tomorrow".  He doesnt want to admit it but, he was hoping for a similar offer from a different team.  He came to an agreement with NO.  Diggs being a Bill had 0 impact on his decison imo.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No.

Neither did I say that.  

So sanders saw the bills traded for diggs and didn’t contact the bills? That’s what your saying? He told the bills he would think about it and lmk 

the bills could have still have interest in signing him but they were respecting him wanting to think about it and then they see he signs with NO 

legally they can’t contact him bc he would be under contract with another team but that doesn’t mean there is no interest in both 

also why would they draft a WR and sign sanders if they are worried about that many WRs since your hinting at that by saying they weren’t interested in after trading for diggs 

what’s the difference in diggs and sanders and sanders and a rookie Still have the same amount of investment 

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

You're a mess, as usual.  First you claimed that the Bills going after Sanders first showed he was their Plan A, and then tried to pass-off the silly notion that the Bills only started going after Diggs in that half hour after talking to Sanders.  Then when you finally conceded that the trade had been in the works for awhile, you shifted to the "Sanders didn't say yes so they had to go with Plan B" and "well if they signed Sanders they wouldn't have signed Diggs, amirite?" like you know and that proves who they really wanted.

The Bills wanted Diggs over Sanders, hence the reason they tried to get him last year.  Sanders would have been a consolation prize and isn't as good of a WR as Diggs.  The first rounder is immaterial as it was going to be used on a WR one way or another this year and better for a proven guy.  And again they treated Sanders like a nobody, not offering him more money, or even calling him back after trading for Diggs to look to add him or say "we went in another direction."  Maybe that's why he said "Okay," which is what started this whole thing.

I realize you don't like Diggs because he "quit" on the Vikings by missing a few practices.  The funny thing is that you were all giddy about AB and his actual quitting on his team.  LOL!

Anyway this discussion is over.  Take the loss.

Just now, mikemac2001 said:

So sanders saw the bills traded for diggs and didn’t contact the bills? That’s what your saying? He told the bills he would think about it and lmk 

the bills could have still have interest in signing him but they were respecting him wanting to think about it and then they see he signs with NO 

legally they can’t contact him bc he would be under contract with another team but that doesn’t mean there is no interest in both 

also why would they draft a WR and sign sanders if they are worried about that many WRs since your hinting at that by saying they weren’t interested in after trading for diggs 

what’s the difference in diggs and sanders and sanders and a rookie Still have the same amount of investment 

lol nevermind

1 minute ago, Doc said:

You're a mess, as usual.  First you claimed that the Bills going after Sanders first showed he was their Plan A, and then tried to pass-off the silly notion that the Bills only started going after Diggs in that half hour after talking to Sanders.  Then when you finally conceded that the trade had been in the works for awhile, you shifted to the "Sanders didn't say yes so they had to go with Plan B" and "well if they signed Sanders they wouldn't have signed Diggs, amirite?" like you know and that proves who they really wanted.

The Bills wanted Diggs over Sanders, hence the reason they tried to get him last year.  Sanders would have been a consolation prize and isn't as good of a WR as Diggs.  The first rounder is immaterial as it was going to be used on a WR one way or another this year and better for a proven guy.  And again they treated Sanders like a nobody, not offering him more money, or even calling him back after trading for Diggs to look to add him or say "we went in another direction."  Maybe that's why he said "Okay," which is what started this whole thing.

I realize you don't like Diggs because he "quit" on the Vikings by missing a few practices.  The funny thing is that you were all giddy about AB and his actual quitting on his team.  LOL!

Anyway this discussion is over.  Take the loss.

No I didn't.  

And no I wasn't.  

And the only win you've taken off me in decades, Sisyphus, is Matt Leinart.  Keep trying!

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No I didn't.  

And no I wasn't.  

And the only win you've taken off me in decades, Sisyphus, is Matt Leinart.  Keep trying!

LOL!  Denial...