Emmanuel Sanders spoke to Bills asked for a night to think about it and we traded for Diggs

15 minutes ago, H2o said:

I don't believe that Sanders was being looked at by the Bills as their #1 WR. He hasn't been that type of player since 2014-2016. I'm also fairly certain we had communication with the Vikings about Diggs prior to any ES discussion. Worked out better for us. 

Hope so I don't want stephon to feel like he was second choice kinda lame of Sanders to mention that

24 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

A whole night seems way too long at the opening of FA when 32 teams are frantically trying to improve their roster, even an hour is a long time to just sit on offers. Sanders is a very good player but he's not a superstar. Seems strange to me

If one has multiple offers they don't have to jump at any one offer.  Beane did what he had to do and the Bills are better for it.  Sanders also wound up with a great result.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I had heard that Sanders was their #1 choice from the FA group, but that they were looking hard at the trade market, so this isn’t super surprising.

The surprising part is the 30 min later they got Diggs after he told them he wanted to think about it.

56 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Lol!   Beane is a bad, bad man.    Don't play chicken with him...

I don’t think this was any special kind of maneuver by Beane.  Just straightforward and competent dealing.  He really couldn’t show his hand to either player.  The Diggs deal came to a conclusion and Sanders was left out in the cold.  As Diggs is the better and younger player I have to think - even with the trade compensation factored in - that Sanders was the backup plan.

Edited by BarleyNY

I bet we still would have traded for Diggs. Sanders is old and not a long-term answer. Would have been pretty sweet to have him and Diggs for a year or two, though.

• Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think they would have taken both. Sanders likely just saw the trade and thought he would see more playing time in NOLA. Also not sure what the $ was. 

I agree.  I can't imagine that Bean thought Sanders is a WR1 at this point in time.  Diggs is much better than Sanders was in Sanders prime, IMO.  And Diggs is in his prime.  Sanders likely wanted more $$ than we were willing to offer a WR 2 or 3. (Brown may be better than Sanders right now?) 

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

A whole night seems way too long at the opening of FA when 32 teams are frantically trying to improve their roster, even an hour is a long time to just sit on offers. Sanders is a very good player but he's not a superstar. Seems strange to me

Not me it doesn't. He was a tier 2 FA I'd say. Yeah these guys get pad big $ but hes thinking about each team situation and obviously moving his family across the country.  It's a massive decision 

37 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I had heard that Sanders was their #1 choice from the FA group, but that they were looking hard at the trade market, so this isn’t super surprising.

Im sure they looked at Sanders as maybe their top FA WR option and weighed the advantages/disadvantages of signing a FA WR or giving up Assetts to obtain a WR through trade. Would having Sanders and a 1st rounder (could be used on a WR or another position upgrade) be better for the team then Diggs and no 1st? I would bet they already had negotiations with the Vikings while talking to Sanders. When Sanders asked to sleep on it, the Bills contacted the Vikings and either they were ready to close the deal or they may have had another offer that Beane thought he had to act now or risk losing both options.

26 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

I agree.  I can't imagine that Bean thought Sanders is a WR1 at this point in time.  Diggs is much better than Sanders was in Sanders prime, IMO.  And Diggs is in his prime.  Sanders likely wanted more $$ than we were willing to offer a WR 2 or 3. (Brown may be better than Sanders right now?) 

He may or may not have thought of him as a #1 WR at this point, but they may have weighed the options of bringing in another #2 or #3 caliber player and having a #1 overall pick they could then use to get a potential #1 WR with, or upgrade another position. Sanders would just cost money, Diggs cost them additional assetts that could be used to upgrade other positions, The choice was getting an smaller upgrade to the WR group and still having some picks, or getting a bigger upgrade to the WR group while not having additional assetts to upgrade elsewhere.

Teams have been burned before in FA (in all sports) when they wait on a player to decide while their other options are lost because they go and sign elsewhere. I doubt a deal as big as the Diggs one only took 30 mins to put together, so they were talking to both the Vikings and Sanders at the same time,  Chances are they called the Vikings back after sanders said he needed time and one of the 2 teams were ready to close the deal. Its also possible the Bills may have taken both but when Sanders heard the Bills dealt for Diggs he decided that he wouldn't get the playing time that he thought he would now that they would have Diggs too and decided to move Buffalo down on his list.

Just now, Doc said:

I think it's funny Sanders took exception to the Bills going for Diggs just 30 minutes after he told them he'd think about it.  LOL!

Probably more of a shock/surprise that he is negotiating with them and said he wanted some time, then hears they made a trade so quickly.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

BEANE WAITS FOR NO ONE!!

We're the prize, not you. Love it.

If more guys would have this attitude with women they would be in a far far better place

• Like (+1) 1