Bills vs Jets MNF 1990

Greg S

7 hours ago, alton said:

It's interesting to see how much the game has changed. At 41:23 Al Michaels says "The report on Townsell: concussion might return" after a big hit from Kelso.

A good number of hits on the QB would be late/roughness today

10 hours ago, njbuff said:

I actually like the 1988 Monday Night Game at the Meadowlands where Jets fans were burning down the building while Buffalo was routing the Jets.

As a Jersey boy, it was the most fun I had at a Bills/Jets game at the Meadowlands.  Whipped them on MNF as their fans worked up from chants of “Joe must go” (in honor of Joe Walton) to setting fires in the aisles (think they were burning posters that were handed out).

Best heckling I took was when some drunken Jets’ fan called me a [slow adult] for wearing my Bills’ hat with my Rutgers’ sweatshirt (censoring software struck!).  

Made it down behind the Bills’ sideline and we were all celebrating.  Good times!

Edited by biggerdaddynj
  • Like (+1) 1

Wow, just a great all around game for Buffalo. Loved seeing some big hits from both teams, without any flags. What a weapon Thurman was. His agility was off the charts. He could have easily had the top MNF rushing performance of all time, if he didn't come out early. Would still be standing. I wonder if he knew how close he was. I didn't realize how many carries Mueller got. I remember him just being a blocking back. After watching that game and seeing those huge holes by the OL and the constant pressure from the edges, I'm kind of wanting to draft OL and DL now haha. 

This team was immensely talented, but they lacked size up front on the DL to help protect Bruce.

That was their only weakness (maybe the CB position outside of Odomes wasn't spectacular at all).

If they had Big Ted on this team, they win 3 SB's. I am fairly confident in that.

18 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How does this Bills team stack up with that one? Remember, we didn't know there were 5 hall of famer players on that team in 1990.

Let this team have some sorta success first before making comparisons.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How much more successful were the pre-1990 Bills? One playoff win?

Back to back division championships.

AFC Championship game appearance.

Plus, they had a ton of talent.

The 2020 Bills have a long way to go before they can even be in the same breath as the 1988 and beyond Bills.

We all hope they can get there.It would be absolutely fantastic.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How does this Bills team stack up with that one? Remember, we didn't know there were 5 hall of famer players on that team in 1990.

Jim Kelly was one of the best QB's in the league at this time, a true franchise QB. I hope Josh Allen can get to that level, but he isn't close yet. Those Bills teams already had some success. This Bills team is good but they haven't become a great team yet. I do think Beane and McDermott will get them to that level. We just have to wait and see how it plays out.

9 hours ago, njbuff said:

Back to back division championships.

AFC Championship game appearance.

Plus, they had a ton of talent.

The 2020 Bills have a long way to go before they can even be in the same breath as the 1988 and beyond Bills.

We all hope they can get there.It would be absolutely fantastic.

That Bills team went 12-4 and 9-7 and won 1 playoff game prior to 1990. This Bills team went 9-7, 6-10 and 10-6 with one loss due to resting starters. That Bills team didn't have the Brady/Belichick Patriots to deal with. In my mind one team was better but not by light years.