I expect Beane to continue his method of trading up in the early draft.

Many problems with this. First, Beane wasn't here the first year. And second, the second year was the year they gathered an absolute ton of draft capital to move up and get a QB. Then they were lucky enough to have a lot left over that they could not reasonably guess they would. They had worked out a much more expensive deal with Denver for the #5 pick, but Denver backed out when Chubb was still there and despite having to wait a while, the Bills were lucky enough to get the QB they'd have taken at #5, but much cheaper.

Excepting the year Beane wasn't here and the trade up for Josh Allen, Beane's never traded up by trading away a pick that left a round empty, with the exception of if they'd already taken a pick for that round earlier. But wait, what about the Edmunds trade, you say. Nope, that's a good example. They emptied the 2nd round to make that trade, but had taken two guys in the first. So they'd already sort of taken their 2nd rounder, but they'd got him in the first. Leaving out those two, the Allen and Edmunds move when they had a bounty of draft capital, they've traded later round picks for small upward jumps, retaining a say in the round they were trading out of.

Other than the Allen trade, which they wildly stocked up for in advance, Beane has never traded up emptying a round. If that continues, it would mean they might trade up this year with one of their two sixth picks. And if that's the kind of trade-up you're talking about, then yeah, I think they might do that too.

They currently have two picks in the top 120. Three picks in the top 160. The odds Beane will give up one of those picks in a trade-up are pretty low, I believe.  Below that, maybe, and especially one of the two sixths seems quite possible.

I also believe we will see some trade ups .. as I don't think the 2020 Bills Roster (what a wonderful thing to say after all these years) needs 7 additional players (# of remaining draft picks) given current roster with FA pick ups to date and return of Vosean.  Grab a RB, DE, WR, DB and call it a day.  Start with 7 .. trade up and take 4.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t. Not at all. We don’t have the collateral as it would cost us at least our 2nd or 2other picks. No reason to doubt Beane on this via his interview today. Reassess after the 1st Round. See who they believe slipped in the 1st that’s still on their 1st Round board and go from there. 

Now, if you (OP) mean 2nd round as “early”, then possibly..

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

You're mad at me because your post was riddled with the wrong player's names and spelling errors? ????

Not really mad,  just sorry for you because you get such joy out of trashing other people for mistakes even when they spent some time for the group of Bills supporters working up a post.

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

I don’t. Not at all. We don’t have the collateral as it would cost us at least our 2nd or 2other picks. No reason to doubt Beane on this via his interview today. Reassess after the 1st Round. See who they believe slipped in the 1st that’s still on their 1st Round board and go from there. 

Now, if you (OP) mean 2nd round as “early”, then possibly..

Here are most of the potential draft trade ups from our 2nd round pick that we could do and some of the possible other RB drafting teams that are ahead of us. 

R2                                         ---->  O spots   =  #54

R2 & R4                                ----> +6 spots   =   #51

{{Pittsburg @ 49  maybe  RB}}

R2 & 2021 R3                    ---->  + 8 spots  =  #46

R2, R4 & R5                        ---->   +9 spots  =  #45

{{Tampa Bay @ #45 strong possible RB}}

{{ Colts @ #44   maybe RB }}

{{ Miami @ 39   maybe RB but will probably take Swift before this pick}}

R2 & R3                              ---->   +16 spots = #38

R2, R3, R4 &R5                  ---->   +21 spots = #33

R2 & 2021 R2(?)               ---->  +23 spots  = #31

Now that I look at other teams needing RB's,  it looks like we would have to get ahead of Tampa Bay to move up, which would cost us our R3 pick. That is a bit steep and I don't see much value in moving up fewer spots than that.   With the Bills having a much better record, it is obvious that you are starting from a lower spot and the picks you can add have a lower value.  I guess I am starting to hope that the good supply of good second tier RB may lead some teams to wait and could allow one of the top 3 or 5 to drop to us around #54.

NFL Draft 2020: Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane not ruling out trading up in Round 2

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/04/nfl-draft-2020-buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-not-ruling-out-trading-up-in-round-2.html

Day one will be hard, we’ve just got to play some videos of Stefon Diggs when 22 comes up,” Beane joked .............. “Beyond that, we’ll just be patient, go through it, watch it all, and the big thing will be when day one is over, whether we have a pick or not, we’ll stay there a little bit and stare at the board and start looking over, OK, what’s on the board that we like here. Is there anybody left in our first round, guys we gave first-round grades to, is there anybody there? Obviously those are targets. ....... . And then secondly, start looking at all the teams in front of us and what their needs are. Let’s say we were looking at receivers and let’s say there’s three receivers in the second round, how many teams that didn’t take a receiver in the first that we have penciled as a team that we see a receiver need for, maybe they reach here in the second round for that guy, will the third guy get to us? Or maybe we’d love to have any of these three if two of them go, do we want to be aggressive and go get that other one, or do we want to be patient and maybe get one in the third round and focus on another position. That’ll be my plan, watch day one and see what’s on the board for us and be ready for day twp.

Beane says it himself, but some people know better what he is thinking. ...   I notice that he uses WR as his example for how he plans to get one of several players at a key position.  Well he "drafted" Diggs in the first round, so he is not going WR in round 2, so he is talking about a different position. ...  Also notice that he is NOT saying that he is going to stay pat and draft the BPA at any position at that slot.  He is targeting a specific position, where there are quality players and is not afraid of moving up to get one. ....   But then that is what he (or the Bills management) has done the last 3 years, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

I guess he is "reaching" and should be fired and be replaced by a BPA guy.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

NFL Draft 2020: Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane not ruling out trading up in Round 2

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/04/nfl-draft-2020-buffalo-bills-gm-brandon-beane-not-ruling-out-trading-up-in-round-2.html

I guess he is "reaching" and should be fired and be replaced by a BPA guy.

31D44DC6-E919-4E56-9A7E-0DC07450F0DD.jpeg

If Beane is known for anything, it’s his love of garnering Draft picks. He’s roundly criticized for ‘spending too much’ ie: Josh, Tremaine & Stefon, but that’s how he rolls. For the 1st time since he’s been a GM, he now has a dearth of his favorite toy with just 12 picks currently for the next 2 seasons. Granted, this team is pretty complete, but new blood is required for every team every year. I’ll be duly surprised if he trades away any more picks and frankly, I expect him to trade down to add to his cache. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/1/2020 at 8:29 AM, Dablitzkrieg said:

Darnold Dawkins is a bust

There are a lot of expectations when you have to block for future HOF’er Mike McCoy! 

Edited by Mango
  • Haha (+1) 1

After doing a little more research, it looks like the accurate list of our 2020 draft picks is:

Round 2: 54th overall

Round 3: 86th overall

Round 4: 128th overall

Round 5: 167th overall

Round 6: 188th overall (from CLE, Teller)

Round 6: 207th overall (from BAL through NE, Bodine)

Round 7: 239th overall

So 7 picks total right now.

I can see Beane dealing those late picks to move up a few spots in the 3rd or 4th, and walking away with only 3 or 4 picks made in the draft. I'm for it.

• Like (+1) 2

I wouldn't put anything past Beane but seeing as he gave up this years first pick along with 3 others to get the player he thinks will give the offense a huge plus this year i don't see him trading back into the 1st but like i said i put nothing past him if he does .

1 minute ago, T master said:

I wouldn't put anything past Beane but seeing as he gave up this years first pick along with 3 others to get the player he thinks will give the offense a huge plus this year i don't see him trading back into the 1st but like i said i put nothing past him if he does .

Trading back into the 1st would cost them all their draft picks this year so no, it won't happen.  I can see about a 10 pick trade up in any particular round, though.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/cowboys-mock-draft-best-available-player-doesnt-work-nfl-jerry-jeudy

f the idea is to take the best player available, then the NFL Draft is easy for every team. Create your draft board, wait until your pick comes up and just take the top player on the board. Easy peasy. Taking the best available player implies that the position they play really doesn’t matter.

But that isn’t how it works. As our Mike Fisher has explained before, the idea of best available player regardless of position is a bit flawed. It doesn’t take into account a team’s needs, and those needs matter, not only in the short term but in the long term. Mike moves beyond "Best Available Athlete'' and calls the real process teams use as “Best Available Player Within Reason.” In other words, if you have Peyton Manning in his prime, then why are you taking a quarterback in the first round? That doesn’t make much sense, right?

So this mock draft is going to look a LOT different than my previous mocks. It’s about exploring the ‘why’ of why best available player regardless of position doesn’t work. Then, I’ll look at what I COULD have done had I taken into account the Cowboys’ needs (or, best player available within reason). So, for each round, you’ll see the best player available pick with analysis, and then analysis of what I could have done with that pick.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/04/former-nfl-gm-thinks-bills-gm-brandon-beanes-aggressive-style-is-winning-formula.html

The deal that landed the Buccaneers the right to draft David, who’s played eight straight seasons in Tampa Bay and earned first team All Pro honors in 2013, was a third- and fourth-round draft pick sent to the Houston Texans for the No. 58 pick in the second round.

Dominik admitted that he might have been able to swing the deal for a third and a fifth, but he didn’t have any problem not following the trade value chart to get a player he coveted.

“By the point chart I was maybe being a little too aggressive,” Dominik said. “(But) I wanted the player. I think if you have that kind of conviction toward a player I think it’s hard to ever feel like you’re going to lose in a deal, even though you may be ‘giving up little more value for a player than what the point chart would suggest.’ I’m a big proponent that you’ve gotta stick to your guns and be consistent — (that) is how you do it.”

“If there’s a guy that I think fits a need and the value (is there), that’s probably where I get, maybe some people say, too aggressive in the draft,” Beane said. “If there’s a guy that I think is a real sure fit, if I overpay a little bit, so be it. It’s better than waiting, sitting on my hands, and I’m not really fired up about a guy when my pick comes up.”

Trading up in any round is just pissing away assets.  The draft is a crapshoot even in the top 10 let alone the remaining rounds of the draft.  I would much rather draft as many players as possible, and increase the chances of finding a diamond in the rough. 

If anything, I would trade down instead of ever trading up. 

Edited by LabattBlue