I expect Beane to continue his method of trading up in the early draft.

50 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

So was Jones.    I seem to remember that the Bills upgraded their scouting department after the 2018 season- which is after they saw how the 2017 draft class did.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/07/buffalo-bills-nfl-scouts-dennis-hickey/

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/bills-hire-gray-college-scouting-director-finalize-scouting-staff

The picks have been getting better and seem to be tuned to getting a few all-pro potential players in the draft rather than depth- at lease in the early rounds.

He’s mocking you man. Notice he specifically put “darnold” Dawkins is a bust? ... because you called him darnold in your OP. 

nobody thinks our actual Dawkins is a bust. 

and IMO the 17 draft class was just fine. We got our franchise LT and a 1st team all pro corner. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

8 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

Nah I don't see that as anything to worry about. Visits are the smallest part of the process. Also teams are still doing virtual visits so things are going along just fine.

Visits are the less important part of all that. Limited staff on draft day is the real key that might change Business As Usual.

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Visits are the less important part of all that. Limited staff on draft day is the real key that might change Business As Usual.

Maybe but everyone can be in the room without actually being in the room with the technology we now have.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You'd think so. But have you seen any of the live Bills pressers streamed online? ??

It's funny but I wanted to find out so I asked Chris Brown about that on twitter. They do the mic thing on purpose b.c the reporters want the questions they ask to not be ruined for them to do write ups. It used to and still does drive me crazy but I guess I understand.

Edited by Hardhatharry

2 minutes ago, Hardhatharry said:

It's funny but I wanted to find out so I asked Chris Brown about that on twitter. They do the mic thing on purpose b.c the reporters want the questions they ask to not be ruined for them to do write ups. It used to and still does drive me crazy but I guess I understand.

It isnt even that. I can remember a few where the video would cut out or freeze, or even drop completely. That may have been a few years ago now, so hopefully with Pegula bucks they upgraded from dial-up to cable internet.

Being that Beane stated that he doesn’t want to draft guys who will likely not make the team, and still having seven picks, it would only make sense that he would be looking to trade up, the deal is, you gotta have a partner for that dance. We shall see.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

He’s mocking you man. Notice he specifically put “darnold” Dawkins is a bust? ... because you called him darnold in your OP. 

nobody thinks our actual Dawkins is a bust. 

and IMO the 17 draft class was just fine. We got our franchise LT and a 1st team all pro corner. 

Well thanks. That is irritating but not the worst thing that has every happened.  I guess it is easier to sit back and make cracks, than to do some work to present a new thread on the site.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Well thanks. That is irritating but not the worst thing that has every happened.  I guess it is easier to sit back and make cracks, than to do some work to present a new thread on the site.

Just a joke I don't think he meant anything by it.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

I personally wouldn't trade up, but I know Beane almost certainly will. If he must, I think trading up from the 4th to get back into the 3rd probably makes the most sense. Won't hurt too much in terms of what we give up but that could allow us to get 3 very good prospects.

I tend to agree with you.  There are two things we can't predict.  First, we don't know if there is someone that Beane really really wants that gets within his range to make a trade in any round at any reasonable price.  Secondly, we don't know if there is a position group that Beane feels a need to have talent added to it.  This could happen if there is a run in the draft with a limited number of decent prospects, like DE.

In the years that you cited, the Bills had considerably more “draft capital” than they do this year.  I do expect them to try to trade up using their 5th and later picks, but I don’t expect a big move up in the 2nd because I don’t think they will want to give up their 3rd to do so.

i can see sitting where they are in the 2nd and maybe moving up a bit in round 3 or trying for a big move up in round 4.  There may be some guys left to start day 3 that are really sticking out on their board - perhaps at WR, RB or maybe CB that they might be willing to part with their 5th, 6th and 7th for.

• Like (+1) 1

I can see what the OP is suggesting.  I think trade ups to  get about 3 or 4 good players with tracks for contributions.  I'm hoping for a 2020 contributing RB, a WR to be developed, and an Edge for the future if possible.

Seems obvious to me that the FO is deliberately saving a spot for drafting a contributing RB.  They must have their evaluations and I expect to see one nabbed in the 2 or 3 round.  Might depend on how the draft breaks.  For instance, if Tampa doesn't select an RB in round 2 it might just be enough to let the Bills pass on an RB and select another area (I hope DE or maybe developmental WR).  Then trade up in the 3rd to pick before Tampa and get one of the RBs they are targeting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Being that Beane stated that he doesn’t want to draft guys who will likely not make the team, and still having seven picks, it would only make sense that he would be looking to trade up, the deal is, you gotta have a partner for that dance. We shall see.

Go Bills!!!

6 picks left right now. And with half of them being 6th and 7th rounders, they dont really give us a lot of value to move that far up in the earlier rounds.

I guess I could see him packaging our 4th and a 6th to move up a few slots in the 4th, but I dont see how we can reasonably move up in the 2nd or 3rd and still get 3 quality picks out of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

the interesting thing about this draft, is who do you trade up for. 

If we trade-up my guess is for an OT.  OT in my opinion is the best position to have a starter on a rookie deal after QB.  This would let us keep Dawkins, and have a rookie OT and Josh Allen together for a long time.  

If not OT, perhaps a trade-up for LB Murray from Oklahoma to complete the LB corp?

I'm not sure I see an edge I'd trade up for.  (Chaisson appears overrated, IMO.  Total lack of production on stacked LSU D, and would likely cost too much).  I'd rather grab Weaver in the 2nd and trade up back into the 2nd for another impact player. 

RB and WR appear too deep to trade-up, unless there is someone you absolutely love above the rest (and going Weaver first allows you to trade back into the second).  

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

So was Jones.    I seem to remember that the Bills upgraded their scouting department after the 2018 season- which is after they saw how the 2017 draft class did.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/07/buffalo-bills-nfl-scouts-dennis-hickey/

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/bills-hire-gray-college-scouting-director-finalize-scouting-staff

The picks have been getting better and seem to be tuned to getting a few all-pro potential players in the draft rather than depth- at lease in the early rounds.

I think you missed the point chief.  It is Dion, not Darnold

Based on the draft value chart, the Bills could move up 16 spots, to 38th, by trading their third (#86).   Or up four spots to #50 by trading their fourth (#128).     They could move up eight spots in the third, to #78, by trading their fourth.   

This suggests that trading pick #86 is the only one that allows a significant value move up the board.   So if they sit pat in round two, I doubt we'll see much moving around in latter rounds, unless it's to jump ahead 1-2 slots to prevent another team from taking their guy...