I expect Beane to continue his method of trading up in the early draft.

Draft history of the Bills for the last 3 years.

==================================================================================

Round 1 pick 27 ……….. Tre White.   Bills trade down from 10 to 27 and get KC’s 2018 #1 pick. We get a starter as expected this high in the draft.  The cupboard is bare- get a 1st round pick player, a #1 for next year’s QB and a 3rd round pick (used to move up)

Round 2 pick 5  ………. Zay Jones     TRADED UP.  Used 3rd round pick to move up to take 4th best receiver in draft

Round 2 pick 31 …….  Darold Dawkins.  TRADED UP.  Used 3rd round pick and both of 5th round picks to get “one of the last offensive linemen with obvious starting potential as a rookie”

Round 3   NO PICKS    SPENT THESE PICKS TO MOVE UP IN DRAFT TO GET SUPERIOR PLAYERS

Round 4     NO PICKS    SPENT THIS PICK TO MOVE UP IN DRAFT TO GET SUPERIOR PLAYERS

Round 5, Pick 19   Matt Milano, LB, Boston College.  They took a chance on a high upside guy. Picked at #163, whereas most expectations had him as a #229

Round 5, Pick 28     Nathan Peterman, QB, Pittsburgh    Low, “need a guy pick”. No longer around.

Round 6, Pick 11     Tanner Vallejo, LB, Boise State           Low, “need a guy pick”. No longer around.

Round 1 pick 7       Josh Allen.   TRADED UP .  Used two second round draft picks to move up from #12 to #7

Round 1 pick 16   Tremain Edwards   TRADED UP.   Used a 3rd round pick (got a 5th back) to move up from 22 to 16.

Round 2   NO PICKS    SPENT THESE PICKS TO MOVE UP IN DRAFT TO GET SUPERIOR PLAYERS

Round 3  (96)   Harrison Philllips DT.   BPA and also a need because of Kyle Williams retirement

Round 4 (121)   Taron Johnson CB   nickel CB        Often ranked as #163 so draft a round early

Round 5 (154)     Siran Neal   CB    backup nickel CB   Played CB, S and LB in college

Round 5 (166)    Wyatt Teller  G    low round o-lineman. Traded away.

Round 6 (187)    RR McCloud WR              4th string WR and gadget play

Round 7 (255)  Austin Proehl  WR  gone

Round 1 pick 9   Ed Oliver DT    We could have used a DE here but went with BPA who could be special at DT.

Round 2 pick 6   Cody Ford G     TRADED UP.  Used a 5th round pick (15) to move up from #40 to #38.

Round 3 pick 10  Singletary  RB    To share touches with HOF Mike McCoy. 4th RB selected.

Round 3 (96)   Dawson Knox TE   TRADED UP.  Used both 4th round picks (112, 131)

Round 4    NO PICKS    SPENT THESE PICKS TO MOVE UP IN DRAFT TO GET SUPERIOR PLAYERS

Round 5 (147)   Vosean Josephy LB.    Rated maybe 9th best LB, a 3-4 round guy. Drafted on potential, needs to grow. Injured 2019.  “red shirt” ?

Round 6 (181) Jaquan Johnson  S    2nd string strong safety

Round 7 (225) Darrly Johnson LB      gone   OPPS. This guy is the DE Daryl Johnson and he is still on the team as a good potential player.

Round 7 (228)  Sweeney TE    4th string TE

=================================================================================

2020    so far

Round 1  Stefon Diggs WR     TRADED UP     Bills used their R1(#22),  2021 R4(?), R5 (155) and R6(207) picks . They got a number one receiver, which is a better WR then they could have gotten in the 2020 draft.

Round 2  (#54)

Round 3 (#86)

Round 4 (#128)

Round 5 (#155) 4    NO PICK    SPENT PICK TO MOVE UP IN DRAFT

Round 5 (#167)

Round 6 (#188)

Round 6 (#201)    NO PICK    SPENT PICK TO MOVE UP IN DRAFT

Round 7 (#239)

=====================================================================

Okay. In 2017, 2018  2019 Beane has the following record in the first three rounds.

2017: 2 of 3 picks were traded up

2018:  2 of 2 picks were traded up

2019:  2 of 4 picks were traded up

6 of 9 traded up= 66%.   He is one for 3 this year and we haven’t even gotten to the draft yet.   Notice that every year, he has traded up twice in the top of the draft?  Notice that he talks about “touchdown makers” and “difference makers”.    Notice that the defense has been filled up in free agency and the offensive line has been also had veterans added?

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Here is the formula for using our draft picks to move up from #54.     Beane has done two trade ups in every year that he has been here.   I guess I'll also work out what would happen if he stays at #54 and moves up from #86 and post it later on this thread.

DRAFT PICK            # PICKED      POINTS          CASE1            CASE 2           CASE 3           CASE 4       CASE5        

ROUND 2                  54                    360                  YES                YES                YES                YES               YES

ROUND 3                  86                    160                  YES                YES                x                      YES               x

ROUND 4                  118                  58                    x                      YES                YES                x                     x

ROUND 5                  150                  31                    x                      x                      YES                x                    x

#2 2021                   #54?                180                  x                      x                      x                      YES               x

======================================================================================

We get:                                                                       #38                  #33                  #45                  #31          #54

Move up=                                                                    16                    21                    9                      23                 0

Thanks Maryland 

I love looking back at these summaries. I forgot they traded up to Dawson Knox. If that’s true then I’m guessing the coaching staff is going to be under some pressure to prove the front office didn’t make a mistake. We should expect much more from Knox this season. 

I also believe that Vosean Joseph is an X Factor in 2020. He’s like having an extra draft pick this year but one that’s already fully familiar with the Bills defense.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Darnold Dawkins is a bust

So was Jones.    I seem to remember that the Bills upgraded their scouting department after the 2018 season- which is after they saw how the 2017 draft class did.

https://buffalonews.com/2019/05/07/buffalo-bills-nfl-scouts-dennis-hickey/

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/bills-hire-gray-college-scouting-director-finalize-scouting-staff

The picks have been getting better and seem to be tuned to getting a few all-pro potential players in the draft rather than depth- at lease in the early rounds.

1 minute ago, DefenseWins said:

Beane wasn't here yet to conduct the 2017 draft. He didn't arrive until later. McD allegedly told Whaley to trade the #10 pick to KC that it used to draft Mahomes and The Bills got Tre White out of in addition to KC's next year's 1st and 3rd rd picks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Beane

OK. I'm sure your right.

Good work. I agree. I don’t think they trade up into the first, though I do think it is realistic that they could get to 32 with the Chiefs. I think at the end of the the day they come home with 4-5 draft picks at most. I guessing multiple picks between rounds 2-5. 

just a note that Daryll Johnson is still here as a developmental end. Rotated in a bit last year and has potential. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Markaf431 said:

Going to be that person.  Can you at least spell his name right?- The title is bothering me.  (yes I know i'm being a jerk and I apologize)

Brandon Beane.   I had an English teacher as a junior in High School. Her name was Miss English, oddly enough.  Speeling tests were about 20% of you're grade and I have some short term memorizations limitations aunt can't speel well to save my life.  It cost me a letter grade in that class.  Since them, I have always considered spelling to be sort ov a contact sport and a chancre to show you're originalities.

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I will always choose a GM who believes in his scouting and player assessments that he has the balls to trade up for a player that he wants. 

I am very close to buying a jersey with the GM’s name on the back.

I love the fact that he is willing to go get the guy he wants where his value is. It is a very stark contrast to the days of GM Nix freaking out that the receivers were going and trading up and severely overpaying to grab TJ Graham. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

I"m not sure he has the ammo to trade-up early on.  I don't see him moving up in the 2nd as it would likely cost a 3rd or 4th, that's probably more than he'd want to give away.  Moving up in the 3rd/4th if it costs a 5th or 6th is certainly possible

• Like (+1) 4

I personally wouldn't trade up, but I know Beane almost certainly will. If he must, I think trading up from the 4th to get back into the 3rd probably makes the most sense. Won't hurt too much in terms of what we give up but that could allow us to get 3 very good prospects.

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, cage said:

I"m not sure he has the ammo to trade-up early on.  I don't see him moving up in the 2nd as it would likely cost a 3rd or 4th, that's probably more than he'd want to give away.  Moving up in the 3rd/4th if it costs a 5th or 6th is certainly possible

We also traded a pick in 2021 - so i would think picks for that draft are off limits now.  

• Like (+1) 2

The only thing working against this idea is the notion the most GMs wont be as willing to trade in this draft due to the lack of interviews and visits, and also the limited staff teams are likely to have in the war room.

The NFL isnt going to allow a room of 15 guys working the phones. It looks like they are going to allow 5 or so FO members to be in the team war room.

Beane may want to trade up, but may have a tougher time than usual finding a partner, and a tougher time than usual getting a deal done in time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The only thing working against this idea is the notion the most GMs wont be as willing to trade in this draft due to the lack of interviews and visits, and also the limited staff teams are likely to have in the war room.

The NFL isnt going to allow a room of 15 guys working the phones. It looks like they are going to allow 5 or so FO members to be in the team war room.

Beane may want to trade up, but may have a tougher time than usual finding a partner, and a tougher time than usual getting a deal done in time.

Nah I don't see that as anything to worry about. Visits are the smallest part of the process. Also teams are still doing virtual visits so things are going along just fine.