Mike Clay Early Position Group Ratings

Ran across this on Twitter.  I will link to it assuming that it can't be reprinted here in its entirety.  Maybe since it's been Tweeted by the creator it's fair game.

https://twitter.com/MikeClayNFL/status/1245069194007318528/photo/1

Lots of interesting discussion points.  I think having Mayfield way ahead of Josh and the low o-line grade are two I'd start with. RBs the Bills lowest rated group at present makes sense.   I don't think the Cowboys deserve to be so high.  They failed against good competition way too often to justify that.  I guess if you blame coaching for that, maybe.  Patriots are near the bottom so there's that.

I’ve never heard of him, who is he? 

10 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I’ve never heard of him, who is he? 

I never heard of him either so here is what I found:

Mike Clay is a writer and analyst for ESPN who contributes year-round NFL, fantasy football and NASCAR insight across the company’s multimedia platforms.

He appears on a variety of shows, including SportsCenter, Fantasy Football Now, The Fantasy Show with Matthew Berry on ESPN+, NFL Live and the Fantasy Focus Football Podcast. Clay’s award-winning player projections help power the ESPN Fantasy Football game. His fantasy content and rankings cover all aspects of the game, including season-long, dynasty, IDP and auction formats.

Clay is also the host of Next Level Fantasy Football on Sirius XM. He is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America (PFWA) and is on the Fantasy Sports Writers Association (FSWA) Board of Directors (Chairman) and Hall of Fame voting committee.

Clay has been instrumental in bringing innovative statistics and data to the forefront of the fantasy industry, including player snap and route data. Now key elements of most fantasy football analysis, this information was all but non-existent prior to the 2010s.

Clay also introduced Wide Receiver vs. Cornerback matchups in 2015 – now a mainstream industry concept. Clay has created several advanced football statistics, including average depth of target (aDOT), opportunity-adjusted touchdowns (OTD), opportunity-adjusted fantasy points (OFP) and fantasy points over replacement player (FORP). Clay is also known for his work with personnel packages, game-flow-adjusted play-calling, touchdown regression to the mean, yards after contact, and box defenders.

Clay won the 2013 Fantasy Sports Trade Association (FSTA) award for most-accurate preseason player rankings. He won the FSWA award for the best online article in 2013 and the 2014 PFWA Dick Conner Writing Award in the Enterprise Features category.

Prior to ESPN, Clay was Managing Editor and Director at Pro Football Focus Fantasy, which he launched in 2010. Clay also contributed at NBC’s Rotoworld.com, Athlon Sports and PhiladelphiaEagles.com. He was featured as a Virtual Analyst in EA Sports’ Madden 25 and 2015 video games.

Originally from Pottsville, Pennsylvania, Clay is a 2007 graduate of Kutztown University where he was Sports Editor of The Keystone newspaper and a sports radio broadcaster for three years.

image.thumb.png.e464eefb85743357af9d4d84fb220d04.png

He did a strength of schedule analysis for the 2020 season which is interesting.  I would presume it's based off of these team unit ratings.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER

5 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

I never heard of him either so here is what I found:

Mike Clay is a writer and analyst for ESPN who contributes year-round NFL, fantasy football and NASCAR insight across the company’s multimedia platforms.

He appears on a variety of shows, including SportsCenter, Fantasy Football Now, The Fantasy Show with Matthew Berry on ESPN+, NFL Live and the Fantasy Focus Football Podcast. Clay’s award-winning player projections help power the ESPN Fantasy Football game. His fantasy content and rankings cover all aspects of the game, including season-long, dynasty, IDP and auction formats.

Clay is also the host of Next Level Fantasy Football on Sirius XM. He is a member of the Pro Football Writers of America (PFWA) and is on the Fantasy Sports Writers Association (FSWA) Board of Directors (Chairman) and Hall of Fame voting committee.

Clay has been instrumental in bringing innovative statistics and data to the forefront of the fantasy industry, including player snap and route data. Now key elements of most fantasy football analysis, this information was all but non-existent prior to the 2010s.

Clay also introduced Wide Receiver vs. Cornerback matchups in 2015 – now a mainstream industry concept. Clay has created several advanced football statistics, including average depth of target (aDOT), opportunity-adjusted touchdowns (OTD), opportunity-adjusted fantasy points (OFP) and fantasy points over replacement player (FORP). Clay is also known for his work with personnel packages, game-flow-adjusted play-calling, touchdown regression to the mean, yards after contact, and box defenders.

Clay won the 2013 Fantasy Sports Trade Association (FSTA) award for most-accurate preseason player rankings. He won the FSWA award for the best online article in 2013 and the 2014 PFWA Dick Conner Writing Award in the Enterprise Features category.

Prior to ESPN, Clay was Managing Editor and Director at Pro Football Focus Fantasy, which he launched in 2010. Clay also contributed at NBC’s Rotoworld.com, Athlon Sports and PhiladelphiaEagles.com. He was featured as a Virtual Analyst in EA Sports’ Madden 25 and 2015 video games.

Originally from Pottsville, Pennsylvania, Clay is a 2007 graduate of Kutztown University where he was Sports Editor of The Keystone newspaper and a sports radio broadcaster for three years.

image.thumb.png.e464eefb85743357af9d4d84fb220d04.png

Thanks for looking him up. Just can’t bring myself to give a sh-t about fantasy football anything, It doesn’t register in my Bills fan life. In this case he doesn’t exist, just like PFF. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

The analysts who focus primarily on fantasy football need to be viewed almost exclusively through the lens of fantasy football. 

NFL statistical production matters very much, but is also so contingent upon so many variables. It's different than other sports. So this kind of analysis and ranking is cool, for fantasy football purposes.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

The analysts who focus primarily on fantasy football need to be viewed almost exclusively through the lens of fantasy football. 

NFL statistical production matters very much, but is also so contingent upon so many variables. It's different than other sports. So this kind of analysis and ranking is cool, for fantasy football purposes.

I'd have to read more about the purpose of this, i.e. its intended use, but many of these units have little fantasy football implications.  If you look at the weightings of each position group I think it has more to do with an actual power ranking  of the roster.

• Like (+1) 1

This would be interesting if a group of retired scouts put it together.

One ESPN guy can't possible do a credible job rating position groups of the entire NFL.    When Clay is labelled an "analyst" what that really means is that he's a professional writer and amateur football evaluator.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Interesting, since Mike Clay also has JA ranked as his #7 fantasy QB. I’ve also heard him talk very positively of JA on various podcasts.

In general, I really like Clay but he’s a statistical analysis guy and let’s be honest, at this point, JA is a gamer who gets it done in spite of the stats. It isn’t always pretty but he gets it done. I think this ranking reflects that.

13 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

This would be interesting if a group of retired scouts put it together.

One ESPN guy can't possible do a credible job rating position groups of the entire NFL.    When Clay is labelled an "analyst" what that really means is that he's a professional writer and amateur football evaluator.  

It’s good click bait that will draw attention and spark debate. I wouldn’t get that wrapped into the actual numbers. I think the chart does a good job outlining each teams strength and weakness. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

This isn't for fantasy football, it's his awful grading for how good each team is on paper. If it was for fantasy, he would have zero reason to include each position group on defense or include offensive line. Also, grading position groups and not individual players wouldn't be helpful for fantasy at all. Mike Clay is just another "analytics" guy who converts his crappy opinions into numbers on a spreadsheet so to make them look concrete and calculated.

Edited by gobills404
  • Like (+1) 1