Mike Clay Early Position Group Ratings

35 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

Am I reading that right that they think the Bills O line is worse than the Jets? 

He hates our offense. At one point maybe prior to the 2017 season he called our secondary one of the worst units he ever saw. That comment didn't age well that year.

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

RB 0.9? He's daft.

We literally have 1 decent RB right now. I don't know why anyone would expect our RB group to be ranked highly. As currently constructed, we'd be relying on a guy that was a healthy scratch the majority of the season and another who was a practice squad member (and possibly only on the practice squad because he didn't count). The fact that we're ahead of 6 teams at RB is pretty good considering we only have one guy.

I'm not sure we should really care what Mike Clay thinks, but assuming we should, we should at least wait until rosters have settled. Our RB rating will almost certainly increase significantly by the time the season (hopefully) begins.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 3

Wow. It's a pretty poor attempt, if you ask me. Not just for the Bills, but for a lot of the teams. I would like to do the same thing myself, but I don't know enough about some of the position groups for other teams, particularly the oline.

11 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

The analysts who focus primarily on fantasy football need to be viewed almost exclusively through the lens of fantasy football. 

NFL statistical production matters very much, but is also so contingent upon so many variables. It's different than other sports. So this kind of analysis and ranking is cool, for fantasy football purposes.

I disagree. Singletary, for instance, was a good fantasy football player later in the year last year. John Brown was strong all year, plus we added Diggs who is a good fantasy football player. Josh Allen is a very strong fantasy football QB due to his high rushing production. The Bills defense actually is not that strong of a fantasy unit because they didn't score much and weren't super splashy in INT's or sacks.

All in all, his analysis doesn't seem to match fantasy football rankings or production at all. Hest just spit balling and his own personal biases are evident.

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

. I would like to do the same thing myself, but I don't know enough about some of the position groups for other teams, particularly the oline.

It looks like clay doesn’t either, but he sure did give’r hell. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

It looks like clay doesn’t either, but he sure did give’r hell. 

I might give it a go. I build indices for work all the time and do statistical analysis, so this is right up my alley.

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He hates our offense. At one point maybe prior to the 2017 season he called our secondary one of the worst units he ever saw. That comment didn't age well that year.

This seems very righteous to me.  Think back to that year.  White was a low first round rookie, Hyde and Poyer were dumpster diving FA signings off Packers and Browns, I don't remember how EJ Gaines got here and Vontae Davis was a few quarters of football from retirement.  

I think his low opinion was justified and he acknowledges it was wrong because most every move they made ultimately worked out.  I'd give him points for owning it.

15 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Lol at the Cowgirls and Steelers being 2&3.

He must be blaming the Cowboy"s coaches and Steelers QB situations for their underwhelming 2019 performances.  It's like he's saying their players had nothing to do with it.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, MJS said:

I disagree. Singletary, for instance, was a good fantasy football player later in the year last year. John Brown was strong all year, plus we added Diggs who is a good fantasy football player. Josh Allen is a very strong fantasy football QB due to his high rushing production. The Bills defense actually is not that strong of a fantasy unit because they didn't score much and weren't super splashy in INT's or sacks.

All in all, his analysis doesn't seem to match fantasy football rankings or production at all. Hest just spit balling and his own personal biases are evident.

You don't think those biases are informed by a Bills team that does not perform highly in most fantasy metrics? We haven't had beastly WRs or consistently productive RBS in a couple years (or decades), at least. Allen has put up some numbers in fantasy terms, but doesn't record the passing volume that makes him elite week in and week out. Our DEs and DTs might get pressure but they don't record many sacks. Our secondary is amazing but doesn't take the ball away a ton.

It seems like you made my point for me (which doesn't have to mean you're wrong in any way). The Bills aren't a statistically impressive team, with respect to fantasy production, and this particular fantasy analyst ranks their roster a bit harshly as a result. 

And I don't really agree with that statistical production-based assessment. 

15 hours ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

He must be blaming the Cowboy"s coaches and Steelers QB situations for their underwhelming 2019 performances.  It's like he's saying their players had nothing to do with it.

The Steelers are going to be a trendy pick to be good next year. Their defense is pretty stacked on all three levels and Big Ben should be able to get the offense back on track. Their division is pretty tough though with the Ravens, talented Browns, and improved Bengals team. 

Cowboys to me are overrated. Their defense was trash last year.

2 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

You don't think those biases are informed by a Bills team that does not perform highly in most fantasy metrics? We haven't had beastly WRs or consistently productive RBS in a couple years (or decades), at least. Allen has put up some numbers in fantasy terms, but doesn't record the passing volume that makes him elite week in and week out. Our DEs and DTs might get pressure but they don't record many sacks. Our secondary is amazing but doesn't take the ball away a ton.

It seems like you made my point for me (which doesn't have to mean you're wrong in any way). The Bills aren't a statistically impressive team, with respect to fantasy production, and this particular fantasy analyst ranks their roster a bit harshly as a result. 

And I don't really agree with that statistical production-based assessment. 

It doesn't seem like you play fantasy football, so I'd stop talking about it if I were you. I specifically said that Allen and Brown were good fantasy football players, but received low grade. Similarly, the Bills defense is not a great fantasy group, but received high grades. So your claim that this ranking has anything to do with fantasy football is false.

8 hours ago, MJS said:

It doesn't seem like you play fantasy football, so I'd stop talking about it if I were you. I specifically said that Allen and Brown were good fantasy football players, but received low grade. Similarly, the Bills defense is not a great fantasy group, but received high grades. So your claim that this ranking has anything to do with fantasy football is false.

I'm saying it has to do with a guy whose specialty is fantasy football analysis. Which has little to do with actual football analysis

And I'll discuss what I please, thank you.  

On 3/31/2020 at 11:39 PM, eanyills said:

Interesting, since Mike Clay also has JA ranked as his #7 fantasy QB. I’ve also heard him talk very positively of JA on various podcasts.

In general, I really like Clay but he’s a statistical analysis guy and let’s be honest, at this point, JA is a gamer who gets it done in spite of the stats. It isn’t always pretty but he gets it done. I think this ranking reflects that.

Allen is awesome in fantasy football, as are all qbs who run a lot.

but this guy is good at what he does.  But again if you don’t like the message, attack the messenger.  It’s so pathetic that this is what the country has become.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

One way to use this comprehensive view of NFL rosters is to consider draft implications.  I am among those who would see RB as an important need.  He scored the Bills group as a .9 but there are 6 teams worse including the Rams at .1.  They pick at 52 which is interesting.  Phins, Chiefs, Lions, Bucs and Bears are the others.  Steelers and Colts are scored low there too.  Maybe these are the teams the Bills might need to trade in front of at some point to get a RB they covet.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER