NFL to release schedule dates on May 9th

20 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

that could work.  college fb might do that. 

So college would only play teams in their own conference. Would nfl do the same with only division games to speed up the process?

Releasing the schedule is fine. It can be changed or even reduced at a later date if necessary. The vast majority of games are on Sunday anyway , so that makes changes easier. Given that the regular season doesn’t begin until after Labor Day, the NFL has the luxury of time here. 

14 minutes ago, major said:

So college would only play teams in their own conference. Would nfl do the same with only division games to speed up the process?

I think the NFL would play a shortened season if necessary, and eliminating out of conference games would be a logical starting point. Since divisions only have four teams an all - division season would be an extremely shortened one. 

On 4/2/2020 at 1:06 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yes the doctors , who are saying this will pass just like any other virus, trying listening to something else besides main stream media.

glad to see @MJS can think for himself.

Here is some good news for those who have been overwhelmed by the media

You can listen to Dr. Fauci or Dr. Birx at the daily Presidential briefings or many other doctors/scientists.  Eventually it will pass.  That's not the question.  The question is when.  If people stay at home the effects might lessen.  If the impact lessens perhaps the time length of the virus shortens.   It's simple unless you make it difficult.

Edited by purple haze

23 minutes ago, Gordio said:

Thanks for that, good listen.  I have been saying it all along the death rate numbers mean nothing because all they have been testing for the most part is people that get sick.  If they tested everybody that had it the numbers would be closer to the flu.  Something does not add up in this whole & there is a back story to this.  No one made a big deal about ebola, which was basically a death sentence if you got it with a 90% mortality rate, never heard much about west nile, sars, swine flu.  I get it that this could e more contagious.  There story is more about a break down in our health system.  Don the Con has everybody thinking he is some great guy, with his daily updates.  107 hospitals have been shut down on his watch as Gov of NYS.  He was urged to buy more respirators, but you know he had way more pressing issues like getting same gender bathrooms in each high school & making sure we got rid of plastic bags & dealing handouts to illegal immigrants that flood this state every year.  

Any how, there will be a bills season this fall, have some faith, like a poster said got to have something to look forward too.

I hope so. I get that sports isn't all that important with everything else going on but it sucks having no NHL playoffs and baseball season. I hope I am wrong but I don't see how sports can go on without a vaccine. Many stores that are open are limiting the amount of people going into them at one time. It's hard to imagine 70,000 - 80,000 being allowed into a stadium to watch football without a vaccine. The "experts" say it will take 12-18 months and that is with them working 24-7 on this thing. If the 2020 season doesn't happen then here is the 2021 schedule.

https://fbschedules.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/

1 minute ago, Gordio said:

Yeah I hear ya, but a lot can change, very fluid situation right now.  Got to stay hopeful.  

On the news this morning Cuomo said the amount of new cases is declining and more and more are recovering and the leaving the hospital in NYC. So their are many hospital beds that are available for those who need it. It appears that NYC is at or near its peak and things should (hopefully) start getting better. The DOW futures at last check are up 800 points due to signs that things are starting to stabilize. Maybe social distancing is working. But who knows as the news changes with this thing hourly. I really hope we have football. I am huge sports fan (NFL,NHL,MLB) and never realized how much I would miss it until these last few weeks.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/1/2020 at 7:57 AM, eball said:

Interesting that they are confident enough to put a schedule out there, but I suppose by May 9 we'll have a better idea as to how effective social distancing measures have been...I still have my doubts about there being a season.

Eball, I think most of us do, but what seems likely although I hope not, is a general quarantine going until June 1 as the projections shows it falling on the curve to a much smaller level and as much as I hate it, probably necessary to nip this thing before we get a vaccine.  If they can’t push a vaccine through sometime in the fall, which again is unlikely to get pushed through that fast with the FDA, the I see a no crowd games in the fall for all sports.  

As far as this crew, when I get a chance to watch college ball as I’m glued all day on Sunday to pro ball, I really like these guys.  I loved what another poster said as far as the narratives on MNF.  Booger wasn’t bad on NFLR with Ross, but that shipped passed and Ross is gone too.  I couldn’t agree more how terrible he was in the cart Monday nights.  It was like fingers on a chalk board.

23 hours ago, Gordio said:

Yeah I hear ya, but a lot can change, very fluid situation right now.  Got to stay hopeful.  

BTW there is saying now could be up to 50% of people that have this have no symptoms.  My friend who has been in the medical field for 25 years has told me this is nothing more than a bad flu strain.  If they tested everybody the mortality rate would actually be lower than the flu.  He says it is criminal the way mainstream media has covered this.

He also told me another thing.  2,000 abortions are done in the country everyday.  That adds up to 700,000 deaths per year.  Don the Con is a big advocate for late term abortions.  Just something to think about.

Could you please explain this line in your post? Do you mean Orange Man?

On 4/7/2020 at 8:06 AM, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Could you please explain this line in your post? Do you mean Orange Man?

MODERATOR Edited XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, I am not one to spew my political & moral views on message boards so I probably shouldn't of said that.  I apologize.   

On 4/6/2020 at 8:27 AM, Gordio said:

BTW there is saying now could be up to 50% of people that have this have no symptoms.  My friend who has been in the medical field for 25 years has told me this is nothing more than a bad flu strain.  If they tested everybody the mortality rate would actually be lower than the flu.  He says it is criminal the way mainstream media has covered this.

He also told me another thing.  2,000 abortions are done in the country everyday.  That adds up to 700,000 deaths per year.  Don the Con is a big advocate for late term abortions.  Just something to think about.

Oh thank God. Too bad so many huge money making entities around the globe are so easily influenced by the media....?

I was initially skeptical about the seriousness of this thing but if it was “just a bad strain of the flu” we wouldn’t have reached this point. There’s too much money to be lost over unsubstantiated hysteria, and cash is always king. Out of curiosity, Is your friend on the front lines treating sick Covid patients? 

1 minute ago, billsfanmiami(oh) said:

Oh thank God. Too bad so many huge money making entities around the globe are so easily influenced by the media....?

I was initially skeptical about the seriousness of this thing but if it was “just a bad strain of the flu” we wouldn’t have reached this point. There’s too much money to be lost over unsubstantiated hysteria, and cash is always king. Out of curiosity, Is your friend on the front lines treating sick Covid patients? 

As a matter of fact he is.  Not NYC but in another mid size city.  

4 hours ago, Gordio said:

Our Governor of NYS is an advocate for late term abortions.  I think it is morally wrong for any kind of abortion but especially late term abortions, I am not one to spew my political & moral views on message boards so I probably shouldn't of said that.  I apologize.   

Oh ok don't worry about it no need to apologize, I thought by "Don the Con" you meant Donald Trump, he is very  much pro life 

One interesting dynamic will be how each state handles the march to going back to normal. Remember, there is no national stay at home order. Each state and even city is making their own orders. I live in California for example, and I would be surprised if the Governor opens up 20,000- 80,000 seat stadiums and arena's to fans in September. I could see Washington's governor also being reluctant to open up the Seahawks stadium in September. So what happens if say a quarter, third or half of the teams are able to play but without fans? Is the NFL prepared to play games with empty stadiums? Would some teams have fans and other none? 

It still a very fluid situation but I won't be holding my breath for a schedule release on May 9. I could see it getting pushed back again till June or July.

4 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

One interesting dynamic will be how each state handles the march to going back to normal. Remember, there is no national stay at home order. Each state and even city is making their own orders. I live in California for example, and I would be surprised if the Governor opens up 20,000- 80,000 seat stadiums and arena's to fans in September. I could see Washington's governor also being reluctant to open up the Seahawks stadium in September. So what happens if say a quarter, third or half of the teams are able to play but without fans? Is the NFL prepared to play games with empty stadiums? Would some teams have fans and other none? 

It still a very fluid situation but I won't be holding my breath for a schedule release on May 9. I could see it getting pushed back again till June or July.

The Bills play at SF this year, so an empty stadium there would give the Bills a huge advantage. Likewise if NJ bans the Jets from having fans.

Edited by chongli

1 hour ago, chongli said:

THe Bills play at SF this year, so an empty stadium there would give the Bills a huge advantage. Likewise if NJ bans the Jets from having fans.

I think the NFL would take an all or nothing approach. Meaning if even  just a handful of states are not allowing fans in stadiums the NFL would have all stadiums follow suit until every stadium could be filled. They also might want to postpone the season all together until fans can attend the games.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think the NFL would take an all or nothing approach. Meaning if even  just a handful of states are not allowing fans in stadiums the NFL would have all stadiums follow suit until every stadium could be filled. They also might want to postpone the season all together until fans can attend the games.

The league brings in about 15-16 billion in revenue and most of that is because of TV. No way Goodell and the greedy NFL owners want to piss that away. The NFL will move heaven and earth to find a way to have a season. If it means no fans then so be it but they will want to make as much as they can. If the government gets involved and says their will be no sporting events allowed then that is a different story. In that case then the season will be cancelled.