NFL to release schedule dates on May 9th

3 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I get it.  This isn't swine flu.  It's a different virus.  But people should 1.  be aware of the potential and 2.  be prepared as much as one can be.  

How many people have gotten sick and or died from Covid-19 because someone else wanted to be obstinate and do whatever they wanted to do thinking "it's never as bad as they say?"   It's that bad for those people and their families. 

Oh yeah, I'm not saying people shouldn't be careful or follow the advice of healthcare professionals. They should. Just saying that the projections are likely wrong, and most likely very wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MJS said:

Oh yeah, I'm not saying people shouldn't be careful or follow the advice of healthcare professionals. They should. Just saying that the projections are likely wrong, and most likely very wrong.

Hopefully these projections turn out to be wrong.  I think projections in this instance are based on  non-compliance of orders or lack of necessities: PPE,  ventilators, manpower due to ill medical staff, which we are seeing.  Florida and Georgia still don't have stay at home orders and cases are rising there.  Unfortunately, I think folks focus on the projections and it leads them to the wrong thinking.  If measures aren't followed and other, government responses don't get better, the worst case scenarios could happen.

Edited by purple haze

22 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

With Brady gone the Pats aura will fade and they won't be the draw they were anymore.

I think people might actually tune in just to see them get their asses handed to them.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, purple haze said:

The media reports what the medical experts are saying.  Stop it.  The info is changing daily as more discoveries are made.   

The hard news reporters, yes. The analysts, ehhh.

11 hours ago, purple haze said:

You mean the doctors?  Yeah, What do they know.

As long as we are currently all practicing social distancing, there is nothing wrong with people being optimistic that this will end in a month or so. To have you come on here, and try to take that optimism away is down right rude.

11 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

As long as we are currently all practicing social distancing, there is nothing wrong with people being optimistic that this will end in a month or so. To have you come on here, and try to take that optimism away is down right rude.

Not taking away optimism.  I don't have that power.  I was responding to a specific comment.

I'm also listening to what the doctors are saying.  This will not end in a month or so if you listen to them because there are different curves in different states.  Why?  Because we had no uniformity of response.  Some states governors  gave stay at home directives others did not.  Equipment in the hospitals is lacking as well which is causing healthcare providers to get sick.   States aren't on the same timeline.  Here in California our peak is thought to be in mid-May, 6 weeks from now.  In New York it is the end of April.  But those are just peak levels.  There will still be cases after the peak.

Social distancing seems to be having a good effect.  I have no doubt it will stop the worst case scenarios from occurring in individual states.  However, the lesser case scenarios, at this point, are still not good and will take time to dissipate. That's if you listen to the doctors.  Maybe tonight they have other thoughts/projections.  Either way keep your head up.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, purple haze said:

Not taking away optimism.  I don't have that power.  I was responding to a specific comment.

I'm also listening to what the doctors are saying.  This will not end in a month or so if you listen to them because there are different curves in different states.  Why?  Because we had no uniformity of response.  Some states governors  gave stay at home directives others did not.  Equipment in the hospitals is lacking as well which is causing healthcare providers to get sick.   States aren't on the same timeline.  Here in California our peak is thought to be in mid-May, 6 weeks from now.  In New York it is the end of April.  But those are just peak levels.  There will still be cases after the peak.

Social distancing seems to be having a good effect.  I have no doubt it will stop the worst case scenarios from occurring in individual states.  However, the lesser case scenarios, at this point, are still not good and will take time to dissipate. That's if you listen to the doctors.  Maybe tonight they have other thoughts/projections.  Either way keep your head up.

Yep, Social distancing is enacted to “flatten the curve” and avoid unnecessary deaths due to an overwhelmed health care system. The virus isn’t going anywhere until 60-80% of the population has immunity via infection or a vaccine that will take over a year. Our only hope is that it dissipates for the summer, or magically vanishes (unlikely, but possible). 

10 hours ago, MJS said:

For swine flu they projected 50% of the population would be infected and 500,000 deaths in the US. The real numbers were 18% of the population and 12,500 deaths.

Projections are always wrong except for demographic projections. Demographics work because there is so little variance and historical trends are very predictive of future trends.

Yep, the swine flu numbers were way off, and I hope these will be as well. However, this is already far more real of a threat than swine flu ever was. 

We should all stick to football. This should be a safe place. I believe the mods have set up a special place for people wishing to discuss current events and how they impact football and life. 

Im glad the NFL has given a release date for the schedules. Gives me something to look forward to.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Yep, the swine flu numbers were way off, and I hope these will be as well. However, this is already far more real of a threat than swine flu ever was. 

I know that's the belief, but according to what measure?

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I know that's the belief, but according to what measure?

Because COVID-19 is much more contagious and can spread while a person is asymptomatic. Plus it is more likely to land you in a hospital, and the sheer numbers would overwhelm the system. Look how many people are dying from this every day in NYC.

23 hours ago, purple haze said:

You mean the doctors?  Yeah, What do they know.

Yes the doctors , who are saying this will pass just like any other virus, trying listening to something else besides main stream media.

On 4/1/2020 at 2:23 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

NFL knows this virus wont last years like the henny - pennys are proclaiming. It will run its course and life will get back to normal.

glad to see @MJS can think for himself.

Here is some good news for those who have been overwhelmed by the media

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

3 hours ago, The Fiend said:

Because COVID-19 is much more contagious and can spread while a person is asymptomatic. Plus it is more likely to land you in a hospital, and the sheer numbers would overwhelm the system. Look how many people are dying from this every day in NYC.

Not sure how contagion is calculated, but I can speak to hospitalization rates (and death rates, for that matter). Hospitalization rate cannot be calculated until AFTER the pandemic is over and we have a sense of the full number of people who were infected. It is impossible to calculate right now. We simply need more data and that will take possibly years to sort out.

I know it is bad in some places, particularly New York. I am not trying to say this isn't serious. Everyone should absolutely take it seriously. Just don't get so caught up in the numbers, though, because we only have like 5% of the data, If that.

Once this is all over we can then look back and see what the death rate was, hospitalization rate, and the totals of those who were affected. At that point we'll know what really happened. Any numbers that come out now, especially the death rate, is an uneducated guess that is nowhere near statistically significant.

There will always be horrible stories and anecdotes about how bad it is out there. The same happens with the flu, or even chicken pox. There are horror stories to highlight in the news for every situation, but to truly understand this pandemic we need to step back and look at the big picture and we need to take the information we receive from the media and even official sources with a grain of salt. But people should be taking every precaution, because for all we know it could be WORSE than advertised.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Yes the doctors , who are saying this will pass just like any other virus, trying listening to something else besides main stream media.

You do realize this is an alt-right news network, right? There's no more biased network on the news. This is the kind of reporting that has people ignoring guidelines; even if it's not explicitly stated, it leads people in that direction.

One specific point: the death rate for flu quoted here is straight-up false, and people need to stop cooking up these estimated actual death rates for COVID-19 based on asymptomatic infections. If you're going to do that for COVID-19, you have to do it for the flu, too, so it's all a wash and we should go with the death rate we see. That data shows that COVID-19, with some geographic variability, is about 10x-15x more lethal than the flu.

I'm surprised that OAN is still harping on the flu narrative when Trump himself has moved away from it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Of course it will pass eventually. The question is when and what health ramifications there are between now and a vaccine or a treatment option that lessens the chances of illness and/or death for those impacted.    The projections are potential worst case scenarios.  Even if those don't occur, what is happening is bad in and of itself and precautions should be taken that includes, at this point, social distancing and stay at home measures.  That's not hard to understand.   Even Trump has gone from "hoax" to a more dire outlook.    Why is that?  I guess he's taken to watching mainstream media, huh? ?

On 4/1/2020 at 7:26 AM, Greg S said:

If they can get training camp going then we will have a season. Everything before that (mini-camp, rookie camp, OTA's) is not happening.

What if season started in January and finished in March? 

• Like (+1) 1