14 teams in the Playoffs confirmed. Are we a lock?

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If we had a better backup QB who could actually win games if Allen got hurt,  I'd say absolutely we'd be a lock with our roster.  We're a lock as long as Allen stays healthy as it stands now.

You could say that for several other playoff caliber teams like Green Bay, Seattle, New Orleans, Minnesota etc. 

The Browns were a”lock” last year...

No one is a lock until they win enough games to get to the post season. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

The slow decline in the quality of the product during the regular season.  Reminds me of when baseball added a Wild Card spot.  Can't wait to see the 7-9 Lions take on the 14-2 Packers in the 1st round.

Again, backchecking the new playoff format shows that far few teams will make the playoffs with losing records than will 10 win teams that failed to make the playoffs under the previous format.  Teams with losing records make the playoffs when there happens to be a really lousy division in the NFL.  The new playoff formula will do nothing to change that.  The new formula will add a wild card berth.  Wild car berths go to the "best of the rest" - teams that didn't win in strong divisions, teams that are almost always going to have winning records.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The Browns were a”lock” last year...

No one is a lock until they win enough games to get to the post season. 

Go Bills!!!

Yes - there is a reason that we play the games after all.

Whatever happens - I ask everyone:  please, please, please do not say that we have "won the off-season" - almost every year the team that is generally anointed to have "won the off-season" turns out to be a big disappointment. Let's stick with "winning the Regular Season" and then moving onto winning the playoffs & Super Bowl. No one is ever a lock for anything in the off-season.

Never the less, my optimism for the upcoming season is as high as it has been since the 1990's Super Bowl Years.     

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BigBillsFan said:

I agree with Mark Cuban on this and have for a while:
https://www.businessinsider.com/mark-cuban-nfl-tv-2014-3?r=US&IR=T

Over-exposure is not a good thing. Make fans want more.

Good article, I agree with Mark Cuban.  These second generation owners are making the NFL an active investment by being greedy, rather than a passive one that will appreciate on its own like it has for years.  The NFL has a finite time to live the way it is going now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good article, I agree with Mark Cuban.  These second generation owners are making the NFL an active investment by being greedy, rather than a passive one that will appreciate on its own like it has for years.  The NFL has a finite time to live the way it is going now.

My former business was run on sponsorships or what would be called influencer marketing today. The central influencer was the head of a forum, but he stayed neutral and made money from ad revenue and sponsoring only certain products. Then he started to sponsor a product daily, then he made divisions of the site and sponsored multiple products a day and after 12 months the business was shut down from over-exposure but he did pocket some good coin. He would have done better not spamming the daylights out of the members and created a long-term business. The problem is you don't think it will disappear. Your arrogance blinds you and it's too late to fix.

Edited by BigBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The slow decline in the quality of the product during the regular season.  Reminds me of when baseball added a Wild Card spot.  Can't wait to see the 7-9 Lions take on the 14-2 Packers in the 1st round.

This is all about $$.

Not only for the owners, but bars and restaurants and also for those making big bets in Vegas. 

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah but..

Baseball’s 162 game regular season for just 2 spots per League was just the opposite. Too harsh. They’ll never have a losing team in the playoffs.

I so agree. How can McBeane & Dabol NOT see this???

They’ve made some really bad decisions on QBs during their tenure...hopefully those days are behind them 

NOTHING is a lock. 

EVER!!!

When my kids were young we were watching a certain playoff game in Nashville. My sons thought it was a lock. “Come on dad, we got this one in the bag!” I continued pacing, telling them I’d been at this far longer than they had, trust me......it is NOT a LOCK!

You might remember how that ended........ ?

1 minute ago, Augie said:

NOTHING is a lock. 

EVER!!!

When my kids were young we were watching a certain playoff game in Nashville. My sons thought it was a lock. “Come on dad, we got this one in the bag!” I continued pacing, telling them I’d been at this far longer than they had, trust me......it is NOT a LOCK!

Scott Norwood might be able to offer some insight as well 

massive letdown if we don't make it.  

Really, we should win the division by 2 games.  

And, we should be able to compete for the #1 seek.  KC will have a difficult schedule this year.  

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

NOTHING is a lock. 

EVER!!!

this is what I refer to as Bills Fan Syndrome.  It impacts every sporting event I watch.  People are like, "your crazy."  I then mention I'm a Bills fan, and they understand. 

Super Bowl, Tenn Game, Dallas MNF game, Pats*** game with McKelvin fumble, etc.  

It would be good if a backup had a similar style to your starter.  or  If you had a backup that was EXCELLENT you could use him when the starter is having a bad day.  (like the baseball reliever)  Never understood why that doesn't happen in the NFL>    Now, Barley is acceptable, he is a pro...weaker arm and less physical than Josh...but, the chemistry is right.   Cam or Jamies would want to compete....Barkley is glad to be the roll player backup.  (and haven't we had enough of FSU QB's anyhow)

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If we had a better backup QB who could actually win games if Allen got hurt,  I'd say absolutely we'd be a lock with our roster.  We're a lock as long as Allen stays healthy as it stands now.

Yea as long as we don't suffer major injuries we will win the East. And we would have won the East under the 6 seed system too.

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

More football?  6 game weekend of playoff games...?  YES PLEASE!

I agree

Even if it means some 9-8 or 8-9 teams make the playoffs, I'm good with it.  Its not like we are going to have 2 8-9 teams playing each other in the first round every year...and honestly I don't mind watching .500-ish clubs play. Its the 1-11 vs 3-9 teams playing each other I don't like.  And if the game has meaning....a playoff-loser-goes-home game...then that is what makes it good for me.

I don't want the league too watered down, but I'd like to see the bye in the playoffs gone totall.  8 teams in each conference make it.  Top seed is 'rewarded' by getting to pick their opponent from the bottom 4 seeds.