14 teams in the Playoffs confirmed. Are we a lock?

On One Bills Live, they backchecked the drought and learned a 14 team playoff field would not have put the Bills into the playoffs even once.  I hesitate to say the Bills are a lock.  Too many times, teams that had high expectations in the off season flopped for one reason or another when they actually played games.  However, if the Bills fail to make the playoffs, it would be a major disappointment.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The slow decline in the quality of the product during the regular season.  Reminds me of when baseball added a Wild Card spot.  Can't wait to see the 7-9 Lions take on the 14-2 Packers in the 1st round.

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, Doc Brown said:

The slow decline in the quality of the product during the regular season.  Reminds me of when baseball added a Wild Card spot.  Can't wait to see the 7-9 Lions take on the 14-2 Packers in the 1st round.

Yeah but..

Baseball’s 162 game regular season for just 2 spots per League was just the opposite. Too harsh. They’ll never have a losing team in the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If we had a better backup QB who could actually win games if Allen got hurt,  I'd say absolutely we'd be a lock with our roster.  We're a lock as long as Allen stays healthy as it stands now.

I so agree. How can McBeane & Dabol NOT see this???

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah but..

Baseball’s 162 game regular season for just 2 spots per League was just the opposite. Too harsh. They’ll never have a losing team in the playoffs.

Strike season royals in 81 went 50-52

20 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

On One Bills Live, they backchecked the drought and learned a 14 team playoff field would not have put the Bills into the playoffs even once.  I hesitate to say the Bills are a lock.  Too many times, teams that had high expectations in the off season flopped for one reason or another when they actually played games.  However, if the Bills fail to make the playoffs, it would be a major disappointment.

If we don't make the playoffs with this roster then something seriously really went bad and wrong. Heads will roll. 

But that said, I am not worried. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yeah but..

Just the law of averages tells you they'll be an 8-9 Wild Card team once every three or so years if you have a top heavy conference.

• Like (+1) 1

This was the LAST thing I wanted to happen. Makes me very sad.

31 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I agree (on the football part at least, I don't know anything about baseball). We already have .500 clubs making the playoffs occasionally. This will ensure that every year we have multiple 9-7 teams in the playoffs, and 8-8 teams will be more common. I still think it will take a really terrible division to get a below .500 team in the playoffs, but we will for sure have 8-8 teams as wild card teams in the future.

Like others have mentioned, I am so glad we broke the drought before this happened.

EDIT: Forgot to include the additional game, so there is no such thing as 8-8 teams. This means there probably will be 8-9 teams in as wild card teams.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 2

No such thing as a lock in the NFL. Injuries are too far of a variable to ever say any team is a lock. BUT if the team stays relatively healthy and Allen doesn't regress significantly I don't see how the team would not get to 9 wins and a likely playoff spot. However I do hate the new playoff format. 1 bye and 3 wildcards is stupid. The old format was perfect, it weighted the regular season perfectly and had the right amount of teams make it. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dneveu said:

More football?  6 game weekend of playoff games...?  YES PLEASE!

Lower quality football. I do not need more football, personally. The structure was already perfect for me. More of a good thing is not always better. The law of diminishing returns illustrates this perfectly.

• Like (+1) 4

I would like to believe it doesn't hurt our chances by any means, but a number of things could happen in which our season would be derailed. 

Edited by H2o