PFF says Bills have top 5 roster?

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The only Bills starters PFF rated as "below average" for 2019 were Ford, Di Marco and Spain. They also had Klein below average with the Saints if he, as expected, becomes the 3rd starter at linebacker. That doesn't strike me as rating our roster poorly. 

I have said it many, many times that their grading schemes are not faultless they have their flaws... but this idea that they are constantly beating down on Buffalo is just yet more paranoia from the fan base. The one thing I hoped would change when we got better is the absolute need of our fans for it to be Buffalo vs the world. It is tiring. 

Just for comparison - the Bills players that PFF graded as "high quality" in 2019:

- Micah Hyde

- Jordan Poyer

- Tre White

- Trent Murphy

- Jerry Hughes

- Dion Dawkins

- John Brown

- Cole Beasley

They also graded Jefferson and Diggs in that category FWIW. 

Zero chance they graded Allen as anything but below average

And they have literally admitted to trolling Buffalo fans on Twitter

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Zero chance they graded Allen as anything but below average

And they have literally admitted to trolling Buffalo fans on Twitter

Allen graded in their "above average" category. 

They troll Bills fans because of the overly emotional reactions it always seems to produce. Passionate fan bases are not always rational fan bases. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Allen graded in their "above average" category. 

They troll Bills fans because of the overly emotional reactions it always seems to produce. Passionate fan bases are not always rational fan bases. 

Where these ratings at anyway I can't find em

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Top 5 roster?  I don't think so. Hell, I don't even think we have a player in the top 101 of players in 2019 according to a website I can't remember.... 

That's a paradox right there. 

I guess the way they do it is addition. If we have players all over 300 in their rankings and you add them together we might have the highest number.

nice to hear, but lets be honest

There are no more experts, Just dudes with web cams and keyboards like you and me.

This could be me and you just BS'ing over lunch and would hold the same weight.

Rather be the underdog to be honest !

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Huh?  They made it the worst roster.  This is what I don’t like about the McBeane stuff.  They have done a good job but people completely overrated the “turnaround” they did.  They act like it was the Browns they took over and had 1 win.  They took over a team that averaged 8 wins and have plenty of guys playing key roles on other teams.  This wasn’t a bad situation at all they inherited.

True, but they also inherited a salary cap problem.  Took care of that quick

8 hours ago, GreggTX said:

In spite of all the whining and crying by many Bills fans, PFF has been brutally honest about the Bills and Josh Allen all along. Some folks just can't handle the truth. This is no different, but we still need to upgrade the OL.

I've never whined and cried about PFF because I really don't care what they say.  They're not very good.  It's really hard to evaluate a player without knowing what his assignment is or what his coaches are telling him.  To make matters worse, sometimes a player will get out of position because he's trying to cover up for someone else's missed assignment.   How is that graded?

It surprises me that supposedly all 32 teams subscribe to PFF.   What PFF does is an interesting attempt to quantify individual performance in a team sport but they have a long way to go.  

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So wait? Now do we like PFF?  Or do we hate them because of White and Allen’s ratings?  I’m so confused and I just bought my Collinsworth voodoo doll.  I hate him because of the website he owns!!!

You’re a damaged little girl afraid to love again. Sorry the Bills disappointed you by exceeding your gloom and doom projections last season. Godspeed brother. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But, but, but we hate PFF. It's the devil, right? Who's with me?

Heh heh.

Yup, it's important to remember ... when you like what's said, discuss it. When you don't like what's said, attack the messenger. It's important to get that right.

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've never whined and cried about PFF because I really don't care what they say.  They're not very good.  It's really hard to evaluate a player without knowing what his assignment is or what his coaches are telling him.  To make matters worse, sometimes a player will get out of position because he's trying to cover up for someone else's missed assignment.   How is that graded?

It surprises me that supposedly all 32 teams subscribe to PFF.   What PFF does is an interesting attempt to quantify individual performance in a team sport but they have a long way to go.  

It's really not that difficult to evaluate without knowing what the team is telling him. We do it constantly, in most posts. NFL teams do it constantly in their film study and they learn a ton, which is why they do it even though they don't specifically know what the other teams told their players.

Is it possible to perfectly grade them without knowing? No, of course not. But is it very obvious on most plays what most guys was supposed to do by looking at the situation and what the guys around him are doing? Yeah, it is. Sometimes you can't know. But most of the time it's not that difficult.

Fair enough that you don't care what they say, though. That's your choice and a fair one, but as you say, NFL teams subscribe. If what PFF do was useless or unreasonable, they wouldn't. 

10 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Huh?  They made it the worst roster.  This is what I don’t like about the McBeane stuff.  They have done a good job but people completely overrated the “turnaround” they did.  They act like it was the Browns they took over and had 1 win.  They took over a team that averaged 8 wins and have plenty of guys playing key roles on other teams.  This wasn’t a bad situation at all they inherited.

Fair enough that it wasn't the worst roster when they took it over. But the situation was probably even worse than if they had had the worst roster.

If you've got the worst roster, at least you're going to have a tremendous draft pick and probably a shot at a franchise QB. Part of the problem with the Bills during the long long drought was that they were never really any good, yet at the same time they were very rarely truly awful. So they never had shots at obvious franchise QBs.

They did a terrific turnaround. They inherited consistent mediocrity, arguably the worst situation for a football team. But not only were they mediocre, not only did they have no franchise QB, but beyond that the salary cap situation was really bad. Whaley's salary cap looked like that of a team in a Super Bowl window.

The situation they inherited wasn't just bad, it was awful. They didn't have a good enough roster to reload. And their roster wasn't bad enough or free enough in cap room to maximize a rebuild.

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But, but, but we hate PFF. It's the devil, right? Who's with me?

Me!

although im sure you're jesting, i hate their rankings. They constantly rank worse players above better players because of stats which apparently they misinterpret.