PFF says Bills have top 5 roster?

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

So wait? Now do we like PFF?  Or do we hate them because of White and Allen’s ratings?  I’m so confused and I just bought my Collinsworth voodoo doll.  I hate him because of the website he owns!!!

Doc Holiday - Nope, I'm Sure of It... I Hate Him

• Haha (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Schedule will be a lot harder. Big difference though is 9-7 might win the AFC East next year.

It's going to be a grind next year. But we have a better team and Allen should improve. 

Not going to be easy - gotta win at least 4 in the East.  None of them are particular cupcake games - although i do think gase stinks as a coach.  3 home games of LA, LA and Seattle traveling cross country.  They need to win 2 of those.  And 3 of Pitt, Arizona, Denver, LV, Tenn.  I like the idea of our fans traveling well to Vegas the most of our away games.  4 away games in zona, vegas, denver, SF - brutal slate.  That would get them to 9 - with assumed losses to SF and KC. 

I don't think its particularly far-fetched to get to 9.  If Allen progresses and improves - my prediction would be 10 wins.  4 wins in division - Home wins over LAC, LAR, Pitt.  Away wins over Denver, LV, Tennessee.  

Assuming its even a full season.

2 hours ago, Clemfield2622 said:

Surely, this can't be right coming from PFF

Not a long video, but tune in at :27

3 short years ago we were considered to have the worst one in the league.  Mcbeane combo know what they are doing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The thing that stands out to me about the construction of the roster is that there is no glaring weakness and both lines have excellent depth. I think for the first time in a long time the draft is needed only purely to address depth along the roster. Even in 2015 after a strong off-season with a great defense in place (At that point we hadn't known how poorly Rex would ***** the defense) and a lot of additions to the offense the team still had issues along the right side of the offensive line and the plan at QB was unclear. 

But in 2020 going into the draft I don't see any massive non-depth needs on the roster. I think DE, WR, RB, DB, and LB units could have more depth and youth but overall I don't see the glaring needs that exist. My ideal draft would be to take a good DE in round 2 to round out the D-line and add some youth to a mostly older unit (Outside of Ed and Henry Phillips there isn't much younger players there) and then take a WR in round 3 (No depth behind BBD and Beasley and Brown are North of 30) and a RB in round 4. 

With their 5th round pick they can find a CB, Safety, or LB just to add some depth there. I don't think they need depth along the O-line (You have 4 legit backups there and you can always sign Waddle to compete in camp) or at TE (I think TE is a somewhat weak spot on the roster but I am fine with it.) Overall the construction of the roster is great. 

6 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

3 short years ago we were considered to have the worst one in the league.  Mcbeane combo know what they are doing. 

Huh?  They made it the worst roster.  This is what I don’t like about the McBeane stuff.  They have done a good job but people completely overrated the “turnaround” they did.  They act like it was the Browns they took over and had 1 win.  They took over a team that averaged 8 wins and have plenty of guys playing key roles on other teams.  This wasn’t a bad situation at all they inherited.

4 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I know that you think edge is the weakest spot. We disagree slightly there. I think that the Bills are fine at edge for 2020. There are A LOT of questions beyond this year. Over the next couple of years I think we will see an entirely new crew there. I expect to see a new body this year but the edge concern is more beyond 2020 than in 2020.

I disagree pending the draft. We lack explosiveness on the edge.  They got older on the DL. I think the new guys will be capable.  If they add an OLB on day 2 I will be happy.  I agree edge will be a need in 2021 and 2022 with aging front 7.

Of course edge would be fine if they just moved Edmunds to OLB where he would be an all-pro.  

Philosophical question.  Can you be a top 5 roster without a top 15 QB?  I say no.  

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I disagree pending the draft. We lack explosiveness on the edge.  They got older on the DL. I think the new guys will be capable.  If they add an OLB on day 2 I will be happy.  I agree edge will be a need in 2021 and 2022 with aging front 7.

Of course edge would be fine if they just moved Edmunds to OLB where he would be an all-pro.  

Philosophical question.  Can you be a top 5 roster without a top 15 QB?  I say no.  

That’s a tough question but I’d tend to agree. At the same time Josh is a total wild card. He could be anywhere from top 5 to 30 this year. I tend to think that he will give them average to above average QB play this year. Somewhere in that 12-15 range. That’s probably enough for this roster to be considered top 5. There aren’t many holes.

In terms of edge I agree that there needs more explosiveness. I’m fine taking a chance on a guy as soon as 54. I just think that we will be okay short-term with the guys we have. I’d expect the Addison-Hughes-Murphy group to combine for about 25 sacks. I think that when you add in the DTs, LBs, DBs and everyone else you’re probably looking at another 22. That’s slightly ahead of where they were a year ago (44) when they were 12th in the league. I think that they can be a borderline top 10 team in terms of sacks and even a little better in terms of pressure. They just have a lot of quality bodies across the defense to throw at it. What they lack in an elite guy (outside of Oliver) they will make up for with good depth.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

By my metric Allen finished last year 16th of qualifying QBs. With the added firepower its not a  big step to get there imo. I'd guesstimate he'll finish in the 9-12 range this season. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I’d expect the Addison-Hughes-Murphy group to combine for about 25 sacks. 

That group last year combined for 20. I don't see how Hughes and Addison a year older leads to more. I think there is maybe a 5% chance they hit 25 sacks between that trio. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That group last year combined for 20. I don't see how Hughes and Addison a year older leads to more. I think there is maybe a 5% chance they hit 25 sacks between that trio. 

Murphy had 2 sacks in the finale and 2 sacks in the playoff game. Maybe he was getting healthy? I think 8 is reasonable for him if that’s the case. Addison seems to consistently be in that 8-10 range (although he was much better early last year than late). Hughes has always gotten pressure but rarely gotten home but again he had 3 sacks in the playoff game. With the rate at which Jefferson and Oliver win in pass rush situations these other guys are going to get some cleanup sacks. The improved pressure inside is what I’m counting on to hit those numbers. We should be REALLY good at pressuring the QB from the interior.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

5 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Murphy had 2 sacks in the finale and 2 sacks in the playoff game. Maybe he was getting healthy? I think 8 is reasonable got him if that’s the case. Addison seems to consistently be in that 8-10 range (although he was much better early last year than late). Hughes has always gotten pressure but rarely gotten home but again he had 3 sacks in the playoff game. With the rate at which Jefferson and Oliver win in pass rush situations these other guys are going to get some cleanup sacks. The improved pressure inside is what I’m counting on to hit those numbers. We should be REALLY good at pressuring the QB from the interior.

If Oliver is who I think he is edge pressure isn't going to matter a ton. Contain outside, disrupt inside, send Edmunds whenever you can.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

If Oliver is who I think he is edge pressure isn't going to matter a ton. Contain outside, disrupt inside, send Edmunds whenever you can.

That’s kind of my thought. Jefferson was 5th in pass rush win rate from the interior and Oliver 7th last year. With Oliver coming on I see no reason that he won’t be in the top 5 this year in that stat. He is going to consistently be in the backfield forcing QBs out. 

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I love Oliver and edge pressure not mattering a ton in terms of winning games and making the playoffs I agree. I think in order to truly, and I mean truly, contend for a Championship we will have to be better off the edge. Maybe we draft someone in round 2 or 3 who is the answer, maybe Addison has more left than I think, maybe Murphy suddenly does start playing consistently or maybe Darryl Johnson breaks out (best case scenario IMO) but if not I think our lack of consistent edge rush will ultimately hold us back in the biggest moments.

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

PFF is wrong and don’t know what they’re talking about. 

-TBD

My Pop used to tell me, "A blind crow gets a piece of corn every once in a while." 

Blind crow = PFF

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I love Oliver and edge pressure not mattering a ton in terms of winning games and making the playoffs I agree. I think in order to truly, and I mean truly, contend for a Championship we will have to be better off the edge. Maybe we draft someone in round 2 or 3 who is the answer, maybe Addison has more left than I think, maybe Murphy suddenly does start playing consistently or maybe Darryl Johnson breaks out (best case scenario IMO) but if not I think our lack of consistent edge rush will ultimately hold us back in the biggest moments.

I agree to an extent. Having that guy at DE can make up for a lot of defensive deficiencies. But we don't really suffer from anything OTHER than lack of talent at DE...and with the surrounding pieces esp @ LB I don't think the talent gap between a Bosa and Addison/Hughes/Murphy combo is something our defense can't fairly easily overcome.