Great article on Dion Dawkins

Great story.. Thanks for posting it. 

I didn't understand that that's what Dawkins is about.   Hard to imagine the Bills will let him go, because that's the kind of guy McDermott loves.   

And I was interested in this: "At some point, it really all just clicked. I gained a deeper understanding of the game of football, the role I had to play and the way I had to play it," Dawkins said.

That's the McDermott process at work.   Dawkins is saying that he can see it now, how it works.   It's that understanding that makes the game easier while at the same time increasing his effectiveness.   It's really encouraging.   

• Like (+1) 3

He still has major issues with speed rushers. As far as LT’s go he is on the slow side and still needs to improve his footwork and timing off the snap. Overall I think he is a solid/good LT. I would probably give him 50mil for 5 years with 27 mil guaranteed. I definitely think the LT position can be upgraded and Dawkins has value in that he can play every position on the O-Line expect center.

10 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

He still has major issues with speed rushers. As far as LT’s go he is on the slow side and still needs to improve his footwork and timing off the snap. Overall I think he is a solid/good LT. I would probably give him 50mil for 5 years with 27 mil guaranteed. I definitely think the LT position can be upgraded and Dawkins has value in that he can play every position on the O-Line expect center.

That wont get it done.

If he is solid/good, would you agree he is mid-range? As in the 16th best LT in the league? If so, and you want to sign him to a long term (5 year) deal, it will need to be at least around $15M/year. Which seems high right now, but in 2 years will be the middle tier average of LTs.

Mitch Morse got $11+M/year and hes a "decent" Center. We're talking LT here.

Dion is a thinker and a learner, and a good human being, it’s no wonder Coach wants him around, I for one am glad he’s a Buffalo Bill! 

Go Bills!!!

I find it hard to root for self absorbed knuckleheads, even if they're suiting up for our beloved Bills.

Conversely, Dion's the type of guy that keeps me around and cheering wildly, year after year. 

I really do love this team as much, or more than any that have come before them. 

They're building something special here and I wouldn't trade them for any other group in the league.

Go Bills!

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That wont get it done.

If he is solid/good, would you agree he is mid-range? As in the 16th best LT in the league? If so, and you want to sign him to a long term (5 year) deal, it will need to be at least around $15M/year. Which seems high right now, but in 2 years will be the middle tier average of LTs.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That wont get it done.

I disagree, David Bakhtiari is possibly the best LT in the NFL and signed a deal in 2016 that pays him 14.5 mil in 2019 and 2020. If Bakhtiari was a FA right now he would probably be making 16 to 17 in 2020. Dawkins is not a top 15 LT and with that I would say he is average. Good run blocker but below average/average pass blocker. I honestly don’t see any upside in Dawkins game, I don’t see him being much better than he is right now. I can maybe see paying him 4 year 48mil 27G at around 12 mil a year with the 17 game season. Mitch Morse was considered a top 3 center when we signed him, Dawkins is nowhere close to top 3.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I disagree, David Bakhtiari is possibly the best LT in the NFL and signed a deal in 2016 that pays him 14.5 mil in 2019 and 2020. If Bakhtiari was a FA right now he would probably be making 16 to 17 in 2020. Dawkins is not a top 15 LT and with that I would say he is average. Good run blocker but below average/average pass blocker. I honestly don’t see any upside in Dawkins game, I don’t see him being much better than he is right now. I can maybe see paying him 4 year 48mil 27G at around 12 mil a year with the 17 game season. Mitch Morse was considered a top 3 center when we signed him, Dawkins is nowhere close to top 3.

Apples to oranges. The Top paid center in the nfl makes $11.25 mil per year. The top paid left tackle makes $16.5 mil per year. You have to go down to the 16th highest paid left tackle to be at $11.25 mil per year. I don't see a 26 year old Dion taking $12 mil per year. Also, Bakhtiari signed 4 yer ago. Pretty sure the cap has gone up a few times since. If I'm Dion, I want $15 mil per year. If not, I'll be franchised at around $15 mil or I'm a FA free to shop around. Someone will pay at $15 mil for a 26 yr old LT who started 4 yrs straight. Just my take.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Not by KC.