1984 Cowboys vs Bills

One of Buffalo’s best spoiler games?   I’ve often heard about this game but finally can watch and enjoy it.   

Even then after the 1st touchdown run you can still see what passionate fans the Bills have.   Showing up in the cold to cheer on an 0-10 team.

Great stuff.   Even helped me recharge my batteries a little watching it

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Another Fan said:

One of Buffalo’s best spoiler games?   I’ve often heard about this game but finally can watch and enjoy it.   

Even then after the 1st touchdown run you can still see what passionate fans the Bills have.   Showing up in the cold to cheer on an 0-10 team.

I had season tickets from 1980- 1987...I got out just in time!  :)   

This was a fun game to be at. Everyone was sure we were going to blow it in the end!

I have about 350 games on DVD (including this one_...the holy grail of Bills games to have is the season opener against Miami in 1980.  The game where the goal posts came down, after breaking the Dolphins losing streak. I have been trading games for decades, and nobody has a copy of that game.  Apparently, it was really only broadcast in the Miami area. Don't suppose anyone has a copy?  Ir was my first game as a season ticket holder, and to this day, maybe the most exciting live sporting event I have ever attended...

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

Is it true that the Bills wore white jerseys in this game because the Cowboys had a terrible win-loss record when wearing the blue jerseys?

The Bills wore their white jerseys at home for the entire 1984 season.

That was the worst team in Bills history with their best look.

Go figure.

6 hours ago, Another Fan said:

It seems like the Bills sold their souls to the Devil to win this game and give the Cowboys their most embarrassing moment ever.

The Bills would pay for this win 8 years later in the SB. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

No one was able to watch since it was blacked out in Buffalo. I was a kid then and furious. Thanks for posting this!

Edited by chongli

7 hours ago, Another Fan said:

It was. Another of the Bills' best spoiler games and Bill Belichick's worst loss ever was when we annihilated the Patriots in the season opener in 2003 31-0, with the additions of Lawyer Milloy, Takeo Spikes, and Sam Adams. At the time, people were saying Drew Bledsoe would never beat his old team. The loss infuriated Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. We were only one of two teams (the other was Washington) to beat the Patriots that year on their way to a SB win over Carolina.

Primetime Highlights:

Full game:

More highlights (bad video quality but great soundtrack):

Unfortunately, this loss by the Patriots fired BB and Brady up so much, they went on to win 5 more SB's and dominate the next 16 years. The Bills were responsible for creating the Patriot dynasty according to the NFL:

"How Bill Belichick's Worst Loss Led to the Patriots Dynasty | NFL Vault Stories"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlTQcHmIE6Y

Edited by chongli

30 minutes ago, chongli said:

It was. Another of the Bills' best spoiler games was when we annihilated the Patriots in the season opener in 2003 31-0, with the additions of Lawyer Milloy, Takeo Spikes, and Sam Adams. At the time, people were saying Drew Bledsoe would never beat his old team. The loss infuriated Tom Brady. We were only one of two teams (the other was Washington) to beat the Patriots that year on their way to a SB win over Carolina.

Full game:

I love the uniforms !!!

GOOOOO. BILLS !!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, chongli said:

No one was able to watch since it was blacked out in Buffalo. I was a kid then and furious. Thanks for posting this!

I was doing a co-op job in Austin, Texas at the time. Watched the game with someone in my apartment complex who was from Buffalo. 25th anniversary Buffalo Bills poster went up in my office the next morning. Co-workers were not amused. Most didn't bother watching as they already had the game marked down in the win column.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buftex said:

I have about 350 games on DVD (including this one_...the holy grail of Bills games to have is the season opener against Miami in 1980.  The game where the goal posts came down, after breaking the Dolphins losing streak. I have been trading games for decades, and nobody has a copy of that game.  Apparently, it was really only broadcast in the Miami area. Don't suppose anyone has a copy?  Ir was my first game as a season ticket holder, and to this day, maybe the most exciting live sporting event I have ever attended...

I was at the Miami game. I actually keep the ticket stub in my wallet to this very day ($13 lower level sideline face value) Younger fans will never know how much that one game meant to Bills fans. It was epic! 

The 1980 season opener is the game I would love to watch. I also wish that game was available. That is the best regular season Bills win with honorable mention of 31-0 season opener win over the Pats a few years back.

• Like (+1) 1

I was 10 at the time & I wasn't a Bills fan yet as they were downright horrible back then.  I remember my dad would listen to all the home games(as they were usually blacked out back then) on that little radio he had in the kitchen, drinking Gennie Crème Ale.  I remember he got really emotional after that win & the wise ass 10 year old I was I told him " what do you care if they win, they still suck."  He told me to go into my room and don't come out until the morning.  I began to be a Bills fan 2 years later when they brought Kelly on board & saw some hope finally that there was light at the end of the tunnel.  

Edited by Gordio
  • Like (+1) 1

If you ever find that game TELL ME!  I have a lot of games too but that one may not exist. I was there and would love to see the broadcast.  Such a fun game and a beautiful day to boot. 

• Like (+1) 2

I remember that the Cowboys game was blacked out that day. I also remember watching whatever game Ch 4 had on in its place and when they said the score midway through the 4th, one of the CBS guys said "somebody get a weather report for Buffalo" obviously thinking it must have been a blizzard up here. That really p**d me off.

I was at this game and was just walking down to my seats when Bell broke his run.

Jack Kemp went up on the wall of fame at halftime and came out of the tunnel, as I recall, in full 1965-era uniform.

Awful team, I believe they beat the Colts the next week, whose 2-14 record led to the drafting of Bruce Smith.

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Bills wore their white jerseys at home for the entire 1984 season.

That was the worst team in Bills history with their best look.

Go figure.

Yes, with the arrival of Chuck Knox in 1978, the Bills wore mostly white at home.  That changed in 1987 when they went mostly blue at home.

Don't know about the "best look" however...I never liked the red helmet with the blue pants.  To each his own...;)

Kinda of a long story for that game, but we all have lots of time!

I played a fall sport in college that took us on road trips every stinking weekend up to Thanksgiving. Did not see one Bills game up to that point, and as most of my teammates were Steeler fans they had maybe seen one or two games at that point. Certainly no Sunday ticket, not even satellites for sports bars.

This was first weekend we were home, and buddy and i went to a Zappa concert night before in Pittsburgh, about 40 miles from our school. Long story short, messed up my arm running from some Law enforcement after the concert and tripping and bracing for the fall. My buddy lived in Pittsburgh, so we stayed there and slept in his basement that was freezing so never took off my sweater. Told him in morning he had to drive as I could not move my right arm. Back at the Rock, go to shower and finally see my entire arm is 2X in size, and all black and blue. Went  into living room and said "fellas, someone has to drive me to the hospital, my arm all whacked". They all looked at me and were like are  you nuts????the Steeler game is coming up! So had to drive myself, with a stick, with no right arm, and  rural roads. Urghhh, that ride HURT!

Get to the hospital ( Grove City for you Western PA) and settle in...and up pops the Bills-Cowboys game (CBS back then for the NFC)! Bam, Bell breaks that run and i am jacked! Little after halftime they finally call me, told em i will wait till end of game..and sat and watched that game in the Grove City Emergency waiting room! Yep, elbow all busted up, cast from wrist to bicep, did not get home till 6:30, but damn i saw that game!

• Like (+1) 3