Eric Reid Demanding Investigation and Revote on CBA

Turk71

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

I do not understand at all the blame to the NFL above.  The NFLPA would of had to agree to the changes and they were a big part of cutting the benefits to get more money for active members.

The NFL in the last agreement wanted to work with the players to set up a large fund for former players, but the NFLPA rejected the matching dollars - it was more important to DeMaurice Smith to increase the money to the individual players.  My guess would be this is part of that again.  More money away from non-due paying former players and more money to current members.

The players and owners were still negotiating as the vote went on - I put a huge blame on the NFLPA for this and little blame on the NFL.  

If you are referring to my comment after the article I wasn't blaming the NFL only, when I said they I meant both sides. The owners and the NFLPA.

I have negotiated many labor contracts for a large corporation.  Language changes that someone decides to add after a ratification vote has taken place are not part of the contract.  The original language as signed off by the parties is the only valid and binding contract between the parties.  A later version with language added after the ratification vote is not a valid contract but it does NOT invalidate the original contract that was ratified by the NFLPA rank and file vote and accepted by the league owners.  The foregoing would also apply to secret documents or agreements made between the parties but not made a direct part of the contract.  If people believe that they can enforce post ratification changes or invalidate the original contract language, they are dreaming.  If the NFLPA provided inaccurate materials or falsified information to their members for consideration during their vote, the union could be facing future charges for violation of the National Labor Relations Act.  Attorneys involved in this type of action will likely have problems with their respective bar associations.  Without seeing the exact documents and having all of the details, it is difficult to know how valid any of these claims are.  But I can say with certainty, this all reeks of incompetency within the NFLPA.  Attorneys will smell blood, drag this into court, prolong the arguments over this, and burn up millions of dollars.  Television contracts will not likely be negotiated if this issue is still hanging out there.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You had a feeling it was a sham when Reid and attorneys didn't provide the fuller context of the alleged changes.  Just saying that the benefits language was different isn't enough, but surely generated the headlines.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Just do what the US woman's soccer team does...complain about how unfair it is that they agreed to the contract and then try and force the governing body to redo it because of media pressure. They get the best of both worlds. They don't have to risk losing their guaranteed money by holding out and collectively bargained contracts mean nothing anymore in court apparently.

Well, the US women are putting up a much better product than the men,  and have done so for a long time. It’s like any pro athlete wanting to get paid their worth ( Jordan Poyer ) 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BigBillsFan said:

The idea people don't know what they are signing applies to every mortgage, insurance policy, and marriage.

So far......my wife is sticking by it. I know some folks are wondering what is wrong with her.     ?‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Well, the US women are putting up a much better product than the men,  and have done so for a long time. It’s like any pro athlete wanting to get paid their worth ( Jordan Poyer ) 

Well that's debatable honestly. The US Men face far greater competition on every level than the US Women's team. Have never seen the Men's team lose to a group of high school players which the Women's team does routinely.

2 hours ago, wppete said:

This guy is a complete headcase. Looking forward to not hearing about him anymore. He’s done in the NFL. 

You a blackball supporter huh? Clearly has the talent to start on many rosters. Not a criminal. What's your deal? Oh yeah I think I know.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I put up a better product than my co-worker, but I agreed to a lesser salary than his because I bring in less money than he does and I didn't want to assume the risk of holding out for more. Then after I signed my employment contract I used back door methods to extort more from my employer than what we agreed to.

It's righteous and just because he makes more than I do, so ***** him. I deserve it.

3 hours ago, ALLEN-2-DIGGS-TD!! said:

WaaaaaWaaaaaaWaaaaaaa!!!! Shut up and play football!!!! You guys make millions to play a game already.

Yeah, I agree.

Dance, Monkey, Dance! 

I definitely side with the guys who look more like me, and make waaaay more money to pay the guys all that money to just play a game....and generate Billions in revenue and profit. 

SO MUCH ANGER!!! 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Just do what the US woman's soccer team does...complain about how unfair it is that they agreed to the contract and then try and force the governing body to redo it because of media pressure. They get the best of both worlds. They don't have to risk losing their guaranteed money by holding out and collectively bargained contracts mean nothing anymore in court apparently.

There's some misconception with the whole women's soccer team's demands. I believe that a large part had to do with wanting equal access to facilities, which they did not have. It should also be noted that the women were payed more than the men, as the men have a lower base salary, but large bonuses for winning, which they don't do nearly as much. The women have a higher base salary, but smaller bonuses for winning the world cup. The argument is if the men and the women won the cup, the men would be payed astronomically more- but that did not happen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Watkins101 said:

There's some misconception with the whole women's soccer team's demands. I believe that a large part had to do with wanting equal access to facilities, which they did not have. It should also be noted that the women were payed more than the men, as the men have a lower base salary, but large bonuses for winning, which they don't do nearly as much. The women have a higher base salary, but smaller bonuses for winning the world cup. The argument is if the men and the women won the cup, the men would be payed astronomically more- but that did not happen.

Also almost every America could name a women’s team athlete from the last 20 years. Mia Hamm, Rapino, Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan. Brandy Chastain, Hope Solo, Akers (forgetting first name)Carli Lloyd; Julie Ertz, etc. That’s literally off the top of my head. Literally if it wasn’t for women like that, the men would NEVER even be in a situation where the National Governing Body is basically betting against you with money that the women’s teams has generated. 

Reid is throwing a temper tantrum because he didn't get what he wants and he is invalidating any arguments he had about unfair treatment by trying to use this as a platform for a re-vote. It's deceptive and dishonest. He knows it and while he had some valid points is showing that he was simply using those points for his own self-interest. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Cal said:

He just like the attention and thinks he is some sort of activist 

That was my immediate thought when I saw Reid's name. But look at the change in wording, from "after" to "before" a certain date. That is a significant change.

I'm not a lawyer either, but you can not change contract language AFTER it has been approved. Reid appears to be right in this case.

• Like (+1) 1

Really, I don't care. No one is making any NFL player, play. And no one compels an owner to own. Just like I don't care about who owns Apple and who works for them. Just give me a good product; a good game, a great computer. If you don't like working for the NFL, or the computer giant, so work somewhere else.

Mr. Reid, you are not going to get much sympathy from the average American worker these days. Your union problems is a top tier first-world problem, which means they are totally irrelevant to 99.999% of the rest of the world. While I certainly am all for any laborer getting all they can--just like I try to do, but at the end of the day, it is your problem, not ours. Does he really think the average fan is going to rise up in solidarity with him and boycott the NFL? The more I think about this, they more ludicrous it is. Go away Ed, go away. . . . Unless, of course, McBeane signs you, then we got your back! ?

8 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Oh please.  The men would destroy them in a game.  Absolutely destroy them.