Allen MVP odds

whorlnut

11 minutes ago, Augie said:

At those odds, I’d be in just for fun, and I don’t even gamble!

I always bet some props like that heading into the season. I had Chris Carson to win the rushing title last year +2500, Brees to win the passing title +750 and Evans to win the receiving title +1400. I didn’t win any of them but they all made sense to me at those numbers. 

Jameis to win the passing title would have been a great score. I used Evans because I trusted Arians’ air attack. I don’t remember what Jameis’ odds were but they had to be over 30:1.

14 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Unless Josh makes a very substantial improvement in his game, he will not be in the running for MVP.  If Josh does improve as we all want him to, he will be in the conversation,  a lot will depend on his receivers actually catching  a very high percentage of his passes. Jmo.

Go Bills!!!

9 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

For Allen to win MVP, he’s going to need 35-40TDs combined, 4000 in the air, and 11 wins. He could do that, but TDs would be my biggest concern. I guess he did have 29 combined this year, so with Diggs and hopeful improvement, I guess that’s not a huge stretch. 

Again though, no one is saying “I expect Josh to be an MVP candidate.” What we are saying is “at 50:1 (or whatever) there is great value in Josh Allen as the NFL MVP.” 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I always bet some props like that heading into the season. I had Chris Carson to win the rushing title last year +2500, Brees to win the passing title +750 and Evans to win the receiving title +1400. I didn’t win any of them but they all made sense to me at those numbers. 

Jameis to win the passing title would have been a great score. I used Evans because I trusted Arians’ air attack. I don’t remember what Jameis’ odds were but they had to be over 30:1.

Jameis just had to remember which team to throw to. If they counted INT return yards in his total (as a good thing), he’s a lock! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, billsfan5121 said:

For Allen to win MVP, he’s going to need 35-40TDs combined, 4000 in the air, and 11 wins. He could do that, but TDs would be my biggest concern. I guess he did have 29 combined this year, so with Diggs and hopeful improvement, I guess that’s not a huge stretch. 

Not necessarily.  The Bills have been so bad for so long, that if the Bills win the AFC East with 12 or more wins, Allen will get a lot of votes even without 35 TDs and 4000 yards.  

One more thing I realized at the end of the game. 1993 was the year of the birth of modern free-agency.  A play like Steve Young could never exist today. QBs are more up or out in the modern FA approach. The idea of grooming a backup into a starter who blossoms at 31 is laughable today.

As much as I can't stand them the last great team of the NFL post FA was the Cowboys.

I consider all the trophies, awards, and accolades of the Patriots null and void.

• Like (+1) 1

I put money on Josh to win mvp and Singletary to win rookie of the year in in 2019,  but it was free money because I bet on the Bills win total, and at 6.5 I knew I'd win that. I made money last year because I won on the Chiefs, too. But Josh ton win mvp last year was a stretch. This year I'm in again on Josh to win MVP and the Bill's to win the east. Not as much of a stretch as last year, but if I hit that's some real money. I'm not as sure about those as last years win total, but it makes the season more fun. And 100 bucks can be 4k. Why not?

I'm not ready to crown his ass, but the author has it right. All he has to do is tighten up on the deep ball and maintain his level of play otherwise.

The guy has the clutch gene, and all the arm you could ask for. With two well rounded WRs on the outside who can burn you underneath and take the top off the defense, if he can start dropping those long balls in the bucket with some consistency this could be a legendary season.

15 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Looks like not everyone in the media thinks Allen is garbage. It’s totally refreshing to see someone go out on a limb for the guy. He’s improved in areas that were a weakness the year before. Why would you bet against him?  Add to that idea the fact that he has a strong team around him and this could be a special thing that Beane and company are building...

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1967252/nfl-mvp-odds-best-bets-dont-sleep-on-josh-allen

No rain being tossed on your parade by any means, but I don't expect him to come remotely close to league MVP, nor do i care.  I just need him to be good enough to win games and advance the team as far as the team's talent is capable of.  And do that without costing the team any wins.  He does that and he'll be just fine.

1 hour ago, Homey D. Clown said:

No rain being tossed on your parade by any means, but I don't expect him to come remotely close to league MVP, nor do i care.  I just need him to be good enough to win games and advance the team as far as the team's talent is capable of.  And do that without costing the team any wins.  He does that and he'll be just fine.

You know what?  I couldn’t care less if he’s the MVP either, but what I’m saying is it’s nice to see that a random columnist is actually showing Allen in a positive light instead of casting shade at him like everyone else. 

2 hours ago, whorlnut said:

You know what?  I couldn’t care less if he’s the MVP either, but what I’m saying is it’s nice to see that a random columnist is actually showing Allen in a positive light instead of casting shade at him like everyone else. 

I think they need to keep doubting him, it's what fueled Joe Montana to greatness and i think it's why Josh is where he is today.  I say, bring on the shade.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I think they need to keep doubting him, it's what fueled Joe Montana to greatness and i think it's why Josh is where he is today.  I say, bring on the shade.

Good point. Allen seems to really respond to doubt. He’s been an underdog his entire playing career. 

• Like (+1) 1