Will NFL Cancel the International Games this Season?

3 hours ago, Smitty75 said:

So because it’s an American sport, us European fans can’t enjoy 1 game in a season...? ?

I get your opinion but i completely disagree.

Here in Europe, you have a lot of peoples who loves the NFL specially in London and it’s not for nothing that the game takes place there.

It’s a hell of experience for us to have the chance to see our favorite team in live, and in terms of marketings and visibility the league gain a lot in recognition worldwide.

But in the other side, if the coronavirus is still there next year and the problem is not completely resolved.

Then yes, for the safety of the players it has to be cancelled.

I've been a Brighton fan since 1983 but I have to fly to England to see them live. As it should be.  

One can only hope so... 

although a bummer for our UK contingent it’s would be the right thing to do imo... 

4 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm getting that there is a non-zero chance that we will have a shortened regular season.  

But it seems highly unlikely - rather that they would just extend further into the spring if necessary.  They're not giving up the cash cow of TV and stadium gate money.

The cash cow is the Superbowl in sweeps week which raises the amount of money advertisers are willing to pay which really does not make sense that is way it is.

Can you imagine playoff football in February in Green Bay?   They have had some of the coldest games in NFL history and record would be broken.

It is same issue as moving season earlier as some suggested before virus - Some of the stadiums in south are already damn hot in summer.

6 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

The international games are another ridiculous Roger Goodell b.s. thing anyway.  Teams other than Jacksonville hate them and for good reason.  Dont steal one of my teams 8 precious home games for some stupid marketing guy's idea that globalizing the NFL will in some way make things better.

It makes it worse.  Its an American sport we're doing just fine I hope they cancel them indefinitely, and so does just about every other NFL fan except players wives and a few owners.

You mad bro?

5 hours ago, Smitty75 said:

So because it’s an American sport, us European fans can’t enjoy 1 game in a season...? ?

I get your opinion but i completely disagree.

Here in Europe, you have a lot of peoples who loves the NFL specially in London and it’s not for nothing that the game takes place there.

It’s a hell of experience for us to have the chance to see our favorite team in live, and in terms of marketings and visibility the league gain a lot in recognition worldwide.

But in the other side, if the coronavirus is still there next year and the problem is not completely resolved.

Then yes, for the safety of the players it has to be cancelled.

I respect your opinion, and I’m glad you enjoy the experience. I have really only one problem with these games: Fairness. I don’t think it’s right or fair for one team (whether they like it or not, you lousy Jags!)  and it’s fans to lose a home game. This can affect the outcome of an entire season. It’s also not fair, IMO, for several teams to be chosen to have to endure the travel. Football has a weekly rhythm to a large degree. The teams who get that disrupted may again be at a disadvantage.

This is a little like a 17 game season. I would hate to lose a playoff spot or higher seed because we had fewer home games than another team. Home field advantage in football, especially in certain cities like Buffalo, is a very real thing. Keep the playing field level. (For this reason I wonder how soon they will try to trade another preseason game for an 18 game season.) 

I actually like sharing the game, and I sort of enjoy the spectacle of these games. I’m glad you enjoy it.  I just don’t like anything that adds or reduces any advantage. Just one guy’s opinion. 

6 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

The international games are another ridiculous Roger Goodell b.s. thing anyway.  Teams other than Jacksonville hate them and for good reason.  Dont steal one of my teams 8 precious home games for some stupid marketing guy's idea that globalizing the NFL will in some way make things better.

It makes it worse.  Its an American sport we're doing just fine I hope they cancel them indefinitely, and so does just about every other NFL fan except players wives and a few owners.

Blah, blah, blah. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Irish Dave said:

I went to the Bills game in London a few years ago and the atmoshpere was terrible.  It was just a bunch of people cheering for "American Football- Horay!!".   You saw people wearing jerseys from lots of other teams; just there for fun; Very little passion from the crowd.  My friend and I were the only people I could see who were actually into the game.  And it was a close game!  It was EJ Manuel's meltdown; we got way behind.  Came back to take the lead, only to lose it on a VERY suspicious PI flag that became the Jaguars the winning points..

Hard to believe the atmosphere wasn’t electric for a showdown between EJ Manuel and Blake Bortles.

6 hours ago, Irish Dave said:

I went to the Bills game in London a few years ago and the atmoshpere was terrible.  It was just a bunch of people cheering for "American Football- Horay!!".   You saw people wearing jerseys from lots of other teams; just there for fun; Very little passion from the crowd.  My friend and I were the only people I could see who were actually into the game.  And it was a close game!  It was EJ Manuel's meltdown; we got way behind.  Came back to take the lead, only to lose it on a VERY suspicious PI flag that became the Jaguars the winning points..

Not sure where you were sitting but that doesn't match my experience at all. 

3 hours ago, driddles said:

I've been a Brighton fan since 1983 but I have to fly to England to see them live. As it should be.  

And Smith must score? Unlucky. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Augie said:

I respect your opinion, and I’m glad you enjoy the experience. I have really only one problem with these games: Fairness. I don’t think it’s right or fair for one team (whether they like it or not, you lousy Jags!)  and it’s fans to lose a home game. This can affect the outcome of an entire season. It’s also not fair, IMO, for several teams to be chosen to have to endure the travel. Football has a weekly rhythm to a large degree. The teams who get that disrupted may again be at a disadvantage.

This is a little like a 17 game season. I would hate to lose a playoff spot or higher seed because we had fewer home games than another team. Home field advantage in football, especially in certain cities like Buffalo, is a very real thing. Keep the playing field level. (For this reason I wonder how soon they will try to trade another preseason game for an 18 game season.) 

I actually like sharing the game, and I sort of enjoy the spectacle of these games. I’m glad you enjoy it.  I just don’t like anything that adds or reduces any advantage. Just one guy’s opinion. 

The whole point of the 17 game season is so that every team can have 8 home games and 1 neural site game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billl said:

The whole point of the 17 game season is so that every team can have 8 home games and 1 neural site game.

Respectfully, that was the excuse/argument. The whole point was more money. I still think the uneven travel requirements are unreasonable. I don’t think it’s good for “the game”, it’s only good for more revenue. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Respectfully, that was the excuse/argument. The whole point was more money. I still think the uneven travel requirements are unreasonable. I don’t think it’s good for “the game”, it’s only good for more revenue. 

You don't think expanding the fan base of the sport is good for the game? I totally, utterly and completely disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

We'll know a lot more by summer but my guess is yes at this point.  Why riski it?  I'm hoping we'll have a much better understanding and control of the virus by then so it doesn't delay training camp.  The warmer weather will hopefully help.