Will NFL Cancel the International Games this Season?

Assuming the season goes on this year, I think it will be quite possible the League cancels international play this season. There are likely going to be a lot of new hygiene requirements for all stadiums now for required washing stations etc. I just dont think they will take the chance playing abroad.

The international games are another ridiculous Roger Goodell b.s. thing anyway.  Teams other than Jacksonville hate them and for good reason.  Dont steal one of my teams 8 precious home games for some stupid marketing guy's idea that globalizing the NFL will in some way make things better.

It makes it worse.  Its an American sport we're doing just fine I hope they cancel them indefinitely, and so does just about every other NFL fan except players wives and a few owners.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Cancelling International games makes great sense at this time. 

I have a hard time seeing camp starting on time, but i have confidence that we will beat this virus.  The whole league could be playing a modified schedule this season as a result. 

5 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I have a hard time seeing camp starting on time, but i have confidence that we will beat this virus.  The whole league could be playing a modified schedule this season as a result. 

My guess is no OTAs, training camp starts in mid-late August, and then season starts in early October and we have a condensed 12 game season. Could even see a scenario with no fans or fans are required to be 6’ apart from each other in the stadium kinda like an every other seat thing 

18 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

It makes it worse.  Its an American sport we're doing just fine I hope they cancel them indefinitely, and so does just about every other NFL fan except players wives and a few owners.

You exaggerate. Many posters on this board have said they looked forward to International games even if they did not like results. 

23 minutes ago, Da webster guy said:

The international games are another ridiculous Roger Goodell b.s. thing anyway.  Teams other than Jacksonville hate them and for good reason.  Dont steal one of my teams 8 precious home games for some stupid marketing guy's idea that globalizing the NFL will in some way make things better.

It makes it worse.  Its an American sport we're doing just fine I hope they cancel them indefinitely, and so does just about every other NFL fan except players wives and a few owners.

So because it’s an American sport, us European fans can’t enjoy 1 game in a season...? ?

I get your opinion but i completely disagree.

Here in Europe, you have a lot of peoples who loves the NFL specially in London and it’s not for nothing that the game takes place there.

It’s a hell of experience for us to have the chance to see our favorite team in live, and in terms of marketings and visibility the league gain a lot in recognition worldwide.

But in the other side, if the coronavirus is still there next year and the problem is not completely resolved.

Then yes, for the safety of the players it has to be cancelled.

Edited by Smitty75
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Smitty75 said:

So because it’s an American sport, us European fans can’t enjoy 1 game in a season...? ?

I get your opinion but i completely disagree.

Here in Europe, you have a lot of peoples who loves the NFL specially in London and it’s not for nothing that the game takes place there.

It’s a hell of experience for us to have the chance to see our favorite team in live, and in terms of marketings and visibility the league gain a lot in recognition worldwide.

Given a shorten season is likely, this year it makes sense to not have an international game.

But I do understand your comments. 

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Given a shorten season is likely, this year it makes sense to not have an international game.

But I do understand your comments. 

Oh i didn’t even know that a shorten season was a circulating idea, in this case yes i agree too.

I'm getting that there is a non-zero chance that we will have a shortened regular season.  

But it seems highly unlikely - rather that they would just extend further into the spring if necessary.  They're not giving up the cash cow of TV and stadium gate money.

I went to the Bills game in London a few years ago and the atmoshpere was terrible.  It was just a bunch of people cheering for "American Football- Horay!!".   You saw people wearing jerseys from lots of other teams; just there for fun; Very little passion from the crowd.  My friend and I were the only people I could see who were actually into the game.  And it was a close game!  It was EJ Manuel's meltdown; we got way behind.  Came back to take the lead, only to lose it on a VERY suspicious PI flag that became the Jaguars the winning points..

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mushypeaches said:

I'm getting that there is a non-zero chance that we will have a shortened regular season.  

But it seems highly unlikely - rather that they would just extend further into the spring if necessary.  They're not giving up the cash cow of TV and stadium gate money.

The NFL has the luxury of time luckily. They can wait until June to make any major decisions and see how the landscape of things look then. Unlike the NBA, MLB, or NHL the current public health situation isn't extending into their current on going seasons. The NFL doesn't have to make any major decisions (other than having the draft changed to avoid crowds) for nearly 10 weeks and in a situation as fluid as this time to digest what the landscape is before you have to make any major decisions is such a huge luxury and helpful tool. 

If I had to guess a likely delay of a month is possible if this crisis impacts things in July but things can change so much. 

14 minutes ago, Irish Dave said:

I went to the Bills game in London a few years ago and the atmoshpere was terrible.  It was just a bunch of people cheering for "American Football- Horay!!".   You saw people wearing jerseys from lots of other teams; just there for fun; Very little passion from the crowd.  My friend and I were the only people I could see who were actually into the game.  And it was a close game!  It was EJ Manuel's meltdown; we got way behind.  Came back to take the lead, only to lose it on a VERY suspicious PI flag that became the Jaguars the winning points..

.......and THAT is why the Jags like going so much. It’s a HUGE improvement! 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

The schedule is limely fone now...which includes London dates.  It will be a wait and see on deciding  to cancel it in London and it goes back to home team site.

2 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

My guess is no OTAs, training camp starts in mid-late August, and then season starts in early October and we have a condensed 12 game season. Could even see a scenario with no fans or fans are required to be 6’ apart from each other in the stadium kinda like an every other seat thing 

October is a guess, and probably a good one, but my guess if we’re lucky, the season starts on time, but probably almost no OTA’s, Training camp, maybe pre- season, but I can see the season getting cleared as we probably ( big stress on probably ) have the season without fans.  Don’t kill the messenger as not what I want either, but if it means we get to watch the NFL with no fans, I’ll take it.

I know it doesn’t make sense as Alpha mentioned why hasn’t this disease ended in places like India as already hot there, but the John Hopkins Medical Director of Infectious Disease went through all of this information and she covered that heat should kill this protein as it really is not a virus.  It’s a protein with a layer of fat around it, and the reason the sanitizer etc., and the high isopropyl alcohol does kill it.  Given I used to call on that account and that doctor, I trust her.

Lets all pray we’re all ok, and this ends in the summer.  Need to have a positive attitude with 30% unemployment based on the floating numbers.  For all our sakes, I hope this gets better.

3 hours ago, DBilz2500 said:

Who knows what's going to happen? The last thing we want is a 2nd wave in the fall that wipes out 3x as many people like 1918. Hopefully a fast tracked vaccine is available by Oct. There's no way they're dealing with International games this year. I just hope there's some kind of modified season.