Potential Altered Offseason/Start of Season Thoughts

wiseman3

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

I think they'll have to lax a bit on like - contact between coaches and players since they can't meet in person.  Make sure ur guys are getting workouts in.  Same will go with full contact practices, 2 a days, etc.  Give coaches the freedom to try and get them ready.  

NFLPA? Absolutely no.  They will ask for higher percentages of money and less contact.  I would not be surprised if NFLPA suggested changing it to flag football.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Mini camp, rookie camp, OTA's are done. Hopefully they can get a full training camp in July and go from there. Who knows what will happen. I am a Bills fan living in NJ who happens to be a Jets season ticket holder. The Jets sent me an e-mail last week that they are suspending payments for the upcoming season. That can't be good. I don't want to be all doom and gloom but the possibility of no season is real. I would imagine other teams have or will do the same for their season ticket holders as well. Have the Bills suspended any payments to the season ticket holders like the Jets did?

Considering situation in NYC metro area I would not be surprised if games moved to alternate area like Oilers did for a year.

39 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It’s very Billsy that they may not even play football as the Bills are set up for their most successful season since the super bowl days and the Patriots dynasty is finally crumbling.... it just makes too much sense.

So ScottLawy

4 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Got time to kill right now? 

I remember that game. Pretty sure we were about to run in the winning TD and we fumbled. Their LB ran it back for a td. Am I right?

Edit: Nope, wrong game. This was fun to watch though.

Edited by Dopey

Indications are growing that this is a seasonal virus.  If that's the case, teams may go to camp and perhaps get in some exhibition games.  Come the cooler weather, if the virus starts spiking, all bets are off about there being anything resembling a meaningful season.  With no vaccine available until next year, I don't believe there will be football, except for possibly a few games, this season.  If the league and owners can figure out a way to virtualize games with no one in attendance, that's another story.  However, when a few players become ill, that will end it.

Is there a way to have this done on Madden with the 2020 rosters and expected player contributions? 

Keep the RedZone, keep the network schedules, and play all games on Madden, once a week, just like "real" football. 

You choose which games you want to watch, and we have a full virtual season.

July is a long way off.  If travel and some degree of socializing is allowed by then all will be OK.

IF this thing is still going strong in July we all got a lot more to worry about than football.

I would bet that the summer rules will be changed and things like "virtual team meeting" will be allowed.

Online meetings going over schemes, separated training programs and film breakdowns could still happen remotely.

Being that already 25%of the leagues cities are already virus hot zones, Folk should have it in their minds that there may very well not be a season being that the virus is continuing to spread all over America. It’s time to put on the big boy pants and buck up and Face the facts, this is not going away any time soon. Do I want the season to be played? of course I do, but only if this virus is under control, and right now people are spreading it at a high rate all over the country. It’s big boy pants time.  Yah it sucks...

Stay healthy Bills Nation, prayers are with you all.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, wiseman3 said:

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what you think is most likely to happen due to Covid-19. To me it seems clear that it will not be a typical NFL summer schedule. My best case scenario seems to be that OTAs are moved to July, training camp in August and no (or maybe just 1) preseason games. Then the season starts on schedule. Thoughts?

You are right about it being an optimistic view...however with surges of infected people starting to take hold in other major cities around the countries, it is hard to see a return to normalcy for, at least, another 6 months...but that is just my PESSIMISTIC opinion...

Keep in mind all of this is contingent on whether or not the government decides to get more aggressive with quarantines...because at its current level, this thing just looks like it’s going to drag out for a while...

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Being that already 25%of the leagues cities are already virus hot zones, Folk should have it in their minds that there may very well not be a season being that the virus is continuing to spread all over America. It’s time to put on the big boy pants and buck up and Face the facts, this is not going away any time soon. Do I want the season to be played? of course I do, but only if this virus is under control, and right now people are spreading it at a high rate all over the country. It’s big boy pants time.  Yah it sucks...

Stay healthy Bills Nation, prayers are with you all.

I agree with this.

Social distancing is here to stay until there's a vaccine. At some point the guidelines will be relaxed, but the thought of NFL stadiums holding 60+k fans seems like a terrible idea until there's a vaccine. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, jrober38 said:

I agree with this.

Social distancing is here to stay. At some point the guidelines will be relaxed, but the thought of NFL stadiums holding 60+k fans seems like a terrible idea until there's a vaccine. 

The situation is very very fluid. I think the NFL is the only sports league with the luxury of time luckily. They can postpone OTA's and hold the draft in a minimal manner in the meantime while not making any final decisions on the season until mid-June. Right now time is a good luxury to have for the NFL. Hopefully in 10 weeks they have a better model to when regulations will relax. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

The situation is very very fluid. I think the NFL is the only sports league with the luxury of time luckily. They can postpone OTA's and hold the draft in a minimal manner in the meantime while not making any final decisions on the season until mid-June. Right now time is a good luxury to have for the NFL. Hopefully in 10 weeks they have a better model to when regulations will relax. 

They might be able to run their league and play games on TV, but I don't see any way they will be able to allow fans into the stadium to watch.

Until there's a vaccine people aren't going to be able to gather in massive crowds like at sporting events. 

8 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

They might be able to run their league and play games on TV, but I don't see any way they will be able to allow fans into the stadium to watch.

Until there's a vaccine people aren't going to be able to gather in massive crowds like at sporting events. 

I would tend to agree with that. I think they will be able to run their games on TV at the very least without more than a months delay to the season. BUT things can change so much in 10 weeks so we don't really know what the status of everything will be come mid-June. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. 

Edited by billsfan89

3 hours ago, wiseman3 said:

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what you think is most likely to happen due to Covid-19. To me it seems clear that it will not be a typical NFL summer schedule. My best case scenario seems to be that OTAs are moved to July, training camp in August and no (or maybe just 1) preseason games. Then the season starts on schedule. Thoughts?

That seems logical.

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Well China may have got things under control and is just starting to open everything up the public again.... so we'll see how that goes and it will give you an idea going forward on what will happen.

If you are to believe what they tell you, the outbreak started in December and is just starting to be under control due to the restrictions put in place. So what is that? 3-4 months. If that same timeline goes for here you are looking at around July-August. 

China was literally locking people in their houses to quarantine them.

The US "lock down" is nothing even remotely close to what happened in China. 

The US measures are more in line with what was done in Europe, which is why this thing is heading out of control. 

Here in VA the governor just issued a "Stay-At-Home" order effective until June 10. If we still think that the season is anything other than in jeopardy at this point we are lying to ourselves. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Indications are growing that this is a seasonal virus.  If that's the case, teams may go to camp and perhaps get in some exhibition games.  Come the cooler weather, if the virus starts spiking, all bets are off about there being anything resembling a meaningful season.  With no vaccine available until next year, I don't believe there will be football, except for possibly a few games, this season.  If the league and owners can figure out a way to virtualize games with no one in attendance, that's another story.  However, when a few players become ill, that will end it.

Thank you Nostradamus!  How about my investment portfolio?  Any absolute insight on that?.....lol

[content deleted]

If you wanna insult elected officials dealing with a raging epidemic in their state or dismiss segments of the media:  Somewhere Else, Not Here.

The mods who are around right now lack time to baby sit and many of us are cranky.  If we have to baby-sit a thread, it's Locksville.

I honestly think “if” the season is allowed to take place it will be the reason a 2nd wave of the virus is rekindled. The thought of televising games in empty stadiums is ludicrous. It just won’t happen. Paying players salaries with no revenue from ticket sales???? No way we see the entirety of the upcoming season