Potential Altered Offseason/Start of Season Thoughts

wiseman3

I just wanted to get everyone's thoughts on what you think is most likely to happen due to Covid-19. To me it seems clear that it will not be a typical NFL summer schedule. My best case scenario seems to be that OTAs are moved to July, training camp in August and no (or maybe just 1) preseason games. Then the season starts on schedule. Thoughts?

Mini camp, rookie camp, OTA's are done. Hopefully they can get a full training camp in July and go from there. Who knows what will happen. I am a Bills fan living in NJ who happens to be a Jets season ticket holder. The Jets sent me an e-mail last week that they are suspending payments for the upcoming season. That can't be good. I don't want to be all doom and gloom but the possibility of no season is real. I would imagine other teams have or will do the same for their season ticket holders as well. Have the Bills suspended any payments to the season ticket holders like the Jets did?

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am prepared for the first few games to be sloppy and the games to be played without fans- but the TV money is too high not to play.

After the stike in the 80's, I attended the Bills Miami game which was held after one week of practice.  It was a horrible display of football....and I traded in my seasons for cash as that was being allowed. I would not pay for what they were putting on the field.  It is about the money ! I think J Kelly was in that game btw.  (I used the season ticket money to buy a St Bernard)

1 minute ago, bigK14094 said:

After the stike in the 80's, I attended the Bills Miami game which was held after one week of practice.  It was a horrible display of football....and I traded in my seasons for cash as that was being allowed. I would not pay for what they were putting on the field.  It is about the money ! I think J Kelly was in that game btw.  (I used the season ticket money to buy a St Bernard)

With there being no sports at all right now, I would 100% be fine watching sloppy football for a few weeks. I need something!

If the season starts on time, I will be shocked. Best case, there are no fans at the games. But as this crisis continues to escalate, its becoming less and less likely there will be "normalcy" for the remainder of the year. Major sporting events have already been cancelled into the summer including the Olympics. If this is anything like the flu, expect an uptick in cases in the fall/winter. No way are public health officials going to OK 50-70k people congregating for a football game. The NFLPA will not allow their players to play if even one guy on a team tests positive, the spread could be devastating to an organization and to the NFL in general.

Look at where the highest cases are right now. NYC, New Orleans, Chicago, LA, Seattle, Michigan. Those cities include 8 teams. Thats 25% of the league. Lets assume those cities can't allow people to play games at all in their stadiums. Some of those places, including the seahawks stadium that is currently being used as a field hospital, where do those games take place? We are gonna play games in a city that doesn't have an outbreak? Its only a matter of when at this point. Each state and county in the nation has different rules of shelter in place or business as usual. So if NYS gets through this in July, but someone boards a flight from Miami and brings the virus, we could be right back to stage one.

Then think about the timeline for a "cure" The estimates I've seen for a vaccine would be 12-18 months. So say they started working on this in December when it first hit China. A vaccine becomes available in December 2020 (best case) Production ramps up and distribution begins. Say that takes 2 months. Now we are in February 2021. The season is already over.

I know plenty of teachers in NYS who have been advised to create lesson plans for online learning for the fall semester. Get comfortable folks, hopefully they make gamepass available for free the rest of the year, otherwise I doubt I'll watch a football game this year

• Like (+1) 3

Every day we move forward with this situation, the more I think it's going to be 2021 before we return to any kind of normal life. 2020 will be a marker like September 11 was. There was a before, and now an after, and life is fundamentally altered because of it.

Of course I hope for football like the rest of us........hell, I was actually ENJOYING watching the Patriots-Falcons SB yesterday on Fox. But we are definitely not in the clear by any means.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Right about preseason time is when I suspect things start opening back up. I think the season gets postponed into October. Eliminate games out of conference. 12 game season is my guess. Kickoff early October.

Exactly my thoughts. Maybe even a situation where half the stadium can be filled and you must have 6’ between each fan kinda like an every other seat kinda thing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Spoiler alert: Don't watch the second half.

Why, what happened? The KY goveneror's update came on midway through the 4th quarter and the Falcons were comfortably ahead, 28-9. I assume they finished off the *Pats......

• Haha (+1) 1

Buffalo_Stampede is right get rid of the out of conference games and start early October and have a 12 game season.That way we would be spared to watch sloppy football games because of cutting corners to get the season to start on the current schedule. Cutting corners on training can also slow the development of the younger players.

I wrote in a previous thread I think we start the season in October. Thurs. night Football on Oct. 1 will open the season. No games in London or Mexico. 17 weeks will take us to Jan. 24th. 

3 weeks of playoff and no pro bowl or media week in between.

SB on Feb 21st. Bills vs. Niners