Miami and New England Team Building Strategies...

14 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And he had a period late 00s and early 10s where he was hitting it out of the park. That is how they built the second part of the dynasty. The last 3 or 4 drafts however have been less than clever and look at the roster as a result. 

Yes Burrow would be number 1 ahead of Murray. Tua is a good prospect if his medicals check out and I am not in a position to know that. Herbert and Love however are guys Id be very leary hitching my waggon to. 

There is a story out there that Mayock loves Herbert. Not sure how true it is. But agree.... New England can't afford Carr regardless.

Yea. Jones and Howard is potentially the best corner duo in the NFL maybe after Peters and Humphreys. 

This is strange times with the supply of QBs available yet teams can’t afford them. Seems like their price tag will have to come down. As for Carr, I think the Raiders are stuck with him- his contract is hefty.

10 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

This is strange times with the supply of QBs available yet teams can’t afford them. Seems like their price tag will have to come down. As for Carr, I think the Raiders are stuck with him- his contract is hefty.

They can cut Carr for $7.9m dead cap. If they designate him post June (which I think is back in the table now the CBA has passed but maybe someone can confirm?) then it is $2.5m dead cap this year. He is cuttable. What I don't think he is is tradeable because the non guaranteed salary is significant. You would need a team in a tear down and rebuild phase with cap space willing to take a flier and I don't see one of those this year. 

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

You do realize that Belichick is currently engineering the cancellation of the 2020 season via his pandemic unleashing skills, right? He planned for this.

He's brilliant. Bellicheat created the virus in hopes of canceling the NFL season and then in 2021 the cap goes u and they will have more money available. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

They can cut Carr for $7.9m dead cap. If they designate him post June (which I think is back in the table now the CBA has passed but maybe someone can confirm?) then it is $2.5m dead cap this year. He is cuttable. What I don't think he is is tradeable because the non guaranteed salary is significant. You would need a team in a tear down and rebuild phase with cap space willing to take a flier and I don't see one of those this year. 

Good points- I cant see them cutting him. Who can we say is a better replacement that warrants any kind of dead cap and to bring onboard another big contract. Honestly, I think Carr is pretty damn good- once Chucky got there things changed.

On 3/30/2020 at 8:48 AM, Rubes said:

If (when) Miami picks up a good QB in the draft this year, watch out. Of the other three teams in the AFC East, I think they are most primed for a run in the next few years.

All they have to do is get a franchise QB, better receivers, better running backs, better offensive line, better defensive line, etc. They are practically championship ready!

53 minutes ago, MJS said:

All they have to do is get a franchise QB, better receivers, better running backs, better offensive line, better defensive line, etc. They are practically championship ready!

Miami purged most of their high cap players this past year.  They have the cap space and draft picks to do replace most of the roster.  Chris Grier seems to be a competent GM, at the least.  Brian Flores seems to be a good coach; he beat NE in a game that NE had to win to get a first round playoff bye, with a depleted roster.  Miami seems to be taking the SF 49er route to building a team.  Time will tell if they can mimic the same results.

1 minute ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Miami purged most of their high cap players this past year.  They have the cap space and draft picks to do replace most of the roster.  Chris Grier seems to be a competent GM, at the least.  Brian Flores seems to be a good coach; he beat NE in a game that NE had to win to get a first round playoff bye, with a depleted roster.  Miami seems to be taking the SF 49er route to building a team.  Time will tell if they can mimic the same results.

Disassembling a roster is far easier than building one. The Dolphins exceeded expectations but let's not forget that they were still a bad team.

They are still two to three years away from being good IF they actually do a good job of building the team. And I don't know if they will or won't do a good job, but I fully expect them to be 4th place in the AFC East this year.

As you say, time will tell.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Great insight there. Meanwhile, they played hard last year for a good young coach, had a pretty decent defense by the end of the year, managed to do the one thing McBeane haven't yet been able to do (beat New England in a game that meant a lot to the Pats****), have three first-round picks coming up, and a last-place schedule. Like I said, this could be a team set up for success for several years if they draft well.

Edited by Rubes

On 3/30/2020 at 5:08 PM, billsfan89 said:

I don't get this love of Herbert and a post injury Tua. Burrow is a legit good QB prospect but in a lot of drafts he wouldn't be a top prospect (Would he be the number one QB take in the 2018 draft and ahead of Murray in 2019?) But if the Fins big coup is to get Herbert or Tua with a serious injury then I think the Bills are safe long term from the Fins. 

He certainly would be the number one pick in front of Murray. He ran one of the most prolific offenses in college history. 

The 2019 LSU offense will go down as the greatest all time.

Just put these College Football Playoff records in a vacuum for a second. Burrow broke nearly every postseason record for a quarterback including most passing yards (985), most touchdowns (12) and most touchdowns in a national championship (5).

Yeah he would have been the pick...

• Like (+1) 1

One thing that is really crazy is some of their best players in the recent past have come from the Bills roster at some point that doesn't say much of the past regime's here in B/lo !! 

Thank god those days seem to be gone !!