Miami and New England Team Building Strategies...

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah. Belichick really isn't all that when it comes to drafting. But the media narrative acts like he is.

As much as I hate to say it... In fairness to BB, when you are drafting at 30-32 every year, it can only be so good.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As much as I hate to say it... In fairness to BB, when you are drafting at 30-32 every year, it can only be so good.

I don't agree. There are great players in every round. If you were as good your legend at drafting you'd find them.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's not really disingenuous as the tweet is talking about what they are investing in players who will actually be on the roster. Removing the dead money creates a much more accurate picture as to what the team is investing in that position for on-field return in 2020.

If anything, including the dead money is an even bigger knock on those teams since they arent getting anywhere near $15M worth of QB play.

My favorite part of all this is that Miami tanked last year, traded away all that talent, are sitting there with 3 1sts... and STILL might not get a shot at any of the top 3 QBs.

Burrow, Tua, and Herbert might all be gone by the time they get a chance to pick.

I don't get this love of Herbert and a post injury Tua. Burrow is a legit good QB prospect but in a lot of drafts he wouldn't be a top prospect (Would he be the number one QB take in the 2018 draft and ahead of Murray in 2019?) But if the Fins big coup is to get Herbert or Tua with a serious injury then I think the Bills are safe long term from the Fins. 

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm generally against taking RBs in the early rounds, but given what Beane has done this offseason, and after seeing the investment in DBs in the division, I'd love to get another talented RB and then negate their investments by running the ball down their throats.

Attack what they leave vulnerable.

It’s not that complicated, Belichick has been doing it for years. 

I don’t think you have to go super early to find a good RB, but you need to get another. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I don't get this love of Herbert and a post injury Tua. Burrow is a legit good QB prospect but in a lot of drafts he wouldn't be a top prospect (Would he be the number one QB take in the 2018 draft and ahead of Murray in 2019?) But if the Fins big coup is to get Herbert or Tua with a serious injury then I think the Bills are safe long term from the Fins. 

I dont get it either. Not big on Herbert myself, and agree Tua is a mystery and gamble at best.

If Burrow had the same 2019 season under his belt, he is the #1 prospect in any of the last 2 or 3 drafts. He was stuck buried on depth charts before the move to LSU, and even in his first year at LSU, they didnt have the Offensive coaching needed to utilize his talents. That's not saying he needed any special Offense crafted for him like Lamar Jackson in Baltimore. Just that LSU never really passed the ball previously, and had no idea what to do with an NFL passing QB. Enter Joe Brady as Co-OC, and the rest is now history.

The fact that Miami may not even get Tua or Herbert and have to settle on the 3rd tier QBs like Eason or Fromm is even sweeter.

9 minutes ago, Yav said:

I have a feeling the Raiders are going to trade Carr to NE. 

Can they afford him?

Pats have $1.5M in cap space, and Carr makes $20M+/year. So no they cant. Not sure they have anyone they can even cut to clear space for him.

Delicious.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Miami is doing a lot of what they did in the previous 15-20 years. Lots of big name free agent signings in one off-season. I am not really impressed with it. Yes they have collected talent in a lot of ways and they have good draft capital but unless they can get a good young QB that team has 7 wins written all over it. 

Don't underestimate their HC, he had a team of nobodies playing well at the end of the year. He may make waves given some actual talent on that team. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How's that cap situation working out for you, Bill?

Who are they cutting? Can't even sign rookies with that amount. 

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont get it either. Not big on Herbert myself, and agree Tua is a mystery and gamble at best.

If Burrow had the same 2019 season under his belt, he is the #1 prospect in any of the last 2 or 3 drafts. He was stuck buried on depth charts before the move to LSU, and even in his first year at LSU, they didnt have the Offensive coaching needed to utilize his talents. That's not saying he needed any special Offense crafted for him like Lamar Jackson in Baltimore. Just that LSU never really passed the ball previously, and had no idea what to do with an NFL passing QB. Enter Joe Brady as Co-OC, and the rest is now history.

The fact that Miami may not even get Tua or Herbert and have to settle on the 3rd tier QBs like Eason or Fromm is even sweeter.

Can they afford him?

Pats have $1.5M in cap space, and Carr makes $20M+/year. So no they cant. Not sure they have anyone they can even cut to clear space for him.

Delicious.

I put nothing past that team, trade and restructure and perhaps it’s a player-player trade with pics? 

They can get creative.

14 minutes ago, Yav said:

I put nothing past that team, trade and restructure and perhaps it’s a player-player trade with pics? 

They can get creative.

I hear ya, and totally agree with their ability to find loop holes (or create their own and have the league just play along), but looking at their roster cap-wise, I just can't imagine even a cheating way to pull this off. They'd have to move Hightower and Cannon just to be able to afford a Fitz or a Tyrod.

I love it.

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm still getting a good laugh at Miami though. Already having the highest paid CB on their roster, and then adding another guy (who isnt that great) and making him the new highest paid CB. That's a lot to have invested for a crappy team.

No doubt that they overpaid for Jones but he’s a pretty good CB

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm still getting a good laugh at Miami though. Already having the highest paid CB on their roster, and then adding another guy (who isnt that great) and making him the new highest paid CB. That's a lot to have invested for a crappy team.

Word on the street they may give up all their 1s to Cinci to roll into the top spot. 

3 hours ago, Yav said:

I have a feeling the Raiders are going to trade Carr to NE. 

They cant afford Carr and the Raiders would start who then?

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't agree. There are great players in every round. If you were as good your legend at drafting you'd find them.

And he had a period late 00s and early 10s where he was hitting it out of the park. That is how they built the second part of the dynasty. The last 3 or 4 drafts however have been less than clever and look at the roster as a result. 

5 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Yes Burrow would be number 1 ahead of Murray. Tua is a good prospect if his medicals check out and I am not in a position to know that. Herbert and Love however are guys Id be very leary hitching my waggon to. 

1 hour ago, billsfan_34 said:

They cant afford Carr and the Raiders would start who then?

There is a story out there that Mayock loves Herbert. Not sure how true it is. But agree.... New England can't afford Carr regardless.

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

No doubt that they overpaid for Jones but he’s a pretty good CB

Yea. Jones and Howard is potentially the best corner duo in the NFL maybe after Peters and Humphreys. 

22 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think it is not a strategy as much as Plan A not panning out and no real plan B. NE never thought TB would leave and the Jags went all in on Files.

Yeah, not to mention that Miami is fairly likely to draft Tua or someone early and the Pats are likely to pick up a (roughly) $8 - 15 million (average salary, though perhaps cheap this year) FA after they make cap room elsewhere (extending Gilmore, Thuney and/or Hightower and cutting a few, and/or maybe draft one reasonably early besides.