Miami and New England Team Building Strategies...

HEAVY at DB, and almost nothing at QB.

Also thought this comment was interesting about Patriots drafting...

What’s crazy (I think) about that is they’ve also drafted 11 DBs in the 1st/2nd round since 2007, and a lot of those have been complete whiffs. I think only McCourty has remained with the team aside from JoeJuan. (Chung returned)

I'm generally against taking RBs in the early rounds, but given what Beane has done this offseason, and after seeing the investment in DBs in the division, I'd love to get another talented RB and then negate their investments by running the ball down their throats.

• Like (+1) 13
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think it is not a strategy as much as Plan A not panning out and no real plan B. NE never thought TB would leave and the Jags went all in on Files.

I'm still getting a good laugh at Miami though. Already having the highest paid CB on their roster, and then adding another guy (who isnt that great) and making him the new highest paid CB. That's a lot to have invested for a crappy team.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm still getting a good laugh at Miami though. Already having the highest paid CB on their roster, and then adding another guy (who isnt that great) and making him the new highest paid CB. That's a lot to have invested for a crappy team.

I just looked at Miami and they have 42 million a year wrapped up in just 3 DBs- which is crazy to think how we threw so well against them.

If (when) Miami picks up a good QB in the draft this year, watch out. Of the other three teams in the AFC East, I think they are most primed for a run in the next few years.

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Rubes said:

If (when) Miami picks up a good QB in the draft this year, watch out. Of the other three teams in the AFC East, I think they are most primed for a run in the next few years.

I can agree with that simply based on a Flores vs Gase comparison. Jets have more talent, and a far better QB, but Gase will ruin it. And with all of Miami's picks, they could match the Jets talent level pretty quickly if they draft right.

I for one, would not mind a return to the 90s, with Buffalo and Miami competing for the division every year, with Jets kinda ok, and New England sucking.

• Like (+1) 10

9 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Agree. 

We could be going back to the days of Bills and Phins dominating the division, assuming Allen improves and Miami finds a QB, and especially if Bellichek retires soon. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'm generally against taking RBs in the early rounds, but given what Beane has done this offseason, and after seeing the investment in DBs in the division, I'd love to get another talented RB and then negate their investments by running the ball down their throats.

Yeah, the best strategy is to gear up to pummel your division rivals. Going 6-1 or 4-2 in the division helps your playoff chances immensely. Or just get the GOAT HC/QB combo, whatever works. 

Miami is doing a lot of what they did in the previous 15-20 years. Lots of big name free agent signings in one off-season. I am not really impressed with it. Yes they have collected talent in a lot of ways and they have good draft capital but unless they can get a good young QB that team has 7 wins written all over it. 

This is disingenuous since Brady counts $13.5 mill towards the cap in dead money this year. So the Pats are currently paying over $15mill at the QB position and are very tight against the cap.

The same is also true for the Jaguars.

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Miami is doing a lot of what they did in the previous 15-20 years. Lots of big name free agent signings in one off-season. I am not really impressed with it. Yes they have collected talent in a lot of ways and they have good draft capital but unless they can get a good young QB that team has 7 wins written all over it. 

Also falling in line with what they've been doing of late is letting a lot of talent leave to clear up space and receive the draft capital.  IMO, they are going in circles ....  a small one. 

1 minute ago, White Linen said:

Also falling in line with what they've been doing of late is letting a lot of talent leave to clear up space and receive the draft capital.  IMO, they are going in circles ....  a small one. 

Their "Tanking" last year was a smart idea in that they have smartly accrued draft capital in a way that puts them in position to both have cap space to acquire useful veteran players and prime players while also having a boat load of picks to get a QB and other key parts. 

BUT it is all for naught unless they get a QB. Right now they just replaced their old vets for new ones and it is a marginal upgrade from their talent level in years past. However they have the draft picks to go and get a QB. But unless you feel the Burrow is a truely transcendent QB at the top of the draft then you are either going to have to punt your QB selection to 2021 (Where you still have an additional 1st thanks Houston) OR take your chances on Tua or Hubert neither of whom spark a lot of excitement for me. 

I think that if they draft Hubert or Tua they will just be spinning their wheels as a 6-8 win team for the next 2-4 years before they tear it all down again. IF they trade up for Burrow I think they still would be a year away but they would at least have a chance in 2 years at being a strong contending team. 

16 minutes ago, jletha said:

This is disingenuous since Brady counts $13.5 mill towards the cap in dead money this year. So the Pats are currently paying over $15mill at the QB position and are very tight against the cap.

The same is also true for the Jaguars.

It's not really disingenuous as the tweet is talking about what they are investing in players who will actually be on the roster. Removing the dead money creates a much more accurate picture as to what the team is investing in that position for on-field return in 2020.

If anything, including the dead money is an even bigger knock on those teams since they arent getting anywhere near $15M worth of QB play.

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Their "Tanking" last year was a smart idea in that they have smartly accrued draft capital in a way that puts them in position to both have cap space to acquire useful veteran players and prime players while also having a boat load of picks to get a QB and other key parts. 

BUT it is all for naught unless they get a QB. Right now they just replaced their old vets for new ones and it is a marginal upgrade from their talent level in years past. However they have the draft picks to go and get a QB. But unless you feel the Burrow is a truely transcendent QB at the top of the draft then you are either going to have to punt your QB selection to 2021 (Where you still have an additional 1st thanks Houston) OR take your chances on Tua or Hubert neither of whom spark a lot of excitement for me. 

I think that if they draft Hubert or Tua they will just be spinning their wheels as a 6-8 win team for the next 2-4 years before they tear it all down again. IF they trade up for Burrow I think they still would be a year away but they would at least have a chance in 2 years at being a strong contending team. 

My favorite part of all this is that Miami tanked last year, traded away all that talent, are sitting there with 3 1sts... and STILL might not get a shot at any of the top 3 QBs.

Burrow, Tua, and Herbert might all be gone by the time they get a chance to pick.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 hour ago, Cal said:

Miami will be better and New England will being better than people expect

New England will be a tire fire. But I agree Miami will be good.

3 hours ago, sir andrew said:

Genius! 

Yeah. Belichick really isn't all that when it comes to drafting. But the media narrative acts like he is.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Yeah. Belichick really isn't all that when it comes to drafting. But the media narrative acts like he is.

My lasting image of BB and New England draft is his taking Gronk and Hernandez in same draft year.  They were alerted to Hernandez' issues with violence and drugs while at U of F and still took him.  And 30 of 32 teams took Gronk off their board due to back injury in college.

They won with taking Gronk but hard to believe they drafted and extended a dude who killed 3 men while playing in the league!

Edited by freddyjj

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

It's not really disingenuous as the tweet is talking about what they are investing in players who will actually be on the roster. Removing the dead money creates a much more accurate picture as to what the team is investing in that position for on-field return in 2020.

If anything, including the dead money is an even bigger knock on those teams since they arent getting anywhere near $15M worth of QB play.

Its just misleading and gives the idea that the Pats have maybe found some loophole. If they didnt have the $13.5 in dead money from Brady they would be in the running for Cam or another higher-priced QB. But since they are cap strapped they are not able to pay a QB any more money

• Like (+1) 1