Tyrod Taylor tells the media that the chargers will turn heads if He’s the one calling the shots

16 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And watching Tyrod play Quarterback still near darn makes my eyes bleed. 

I think he is a very limited player, but I liked watching someone who took care of the ball and could pull off the occasional truly electric scramble. 

16 hours ago, MJS said:

He's not better when you look at wins or stats, so I don't know how he can be considered better than Tyrod. You probably like Fitz more because he took risks. He was a gunslinger. But he was also a losing QB who took risks when he shouldn't have and made the worst mistakes at the worst possible moments.

But honestly, Fitzpatrick is up there too as far as Bills QB's go, but competent QB's in a Bills uniform is a short list.

FYI, I agree that Tyrod was frustrating to watch. I was more than ready to move on from him.

If you went into the fourth quarter down by 3 with Tyrod the game was over. That's all I need to know to refute the claim he was "one of the better QBs" in Bills history. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

Sorry I don't. Just my recollection. But he did say it (at least it was reported). I remember being surprised given that they were in the same backfield at the time. 

I think he meant as compliment to Tyrod but it would of course be taken otherwise.

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Tyrod's the most mobile game manager in NFL history.  He perfected the deep ball throwaway.  If you have a good defense, offensive line, and running game you might make the divisional round of the playoffs with him.  

exactly- Bills literally came within a couple plays of doing exactly that with him as QB. 

7 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

I think he meant as compliment to Tyrod but it would of course be taken otherwise.

Its possible that he meant Tyrod was dual threat. Rightly or wrongly, thats not how I took it. As someone else has suggested, it may have been after the playoff loss. Nothing against Tyrod. Great athlete. I was always in his corner as long as he wore our colours. Even if their stats (for now)are not dissimilar, Im a lot happier with Allen. Its all about the promise of the upside (something Tyrod just never had).

27 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

If you went into the fourth quarter down by 3 with Tyrod the game was over. That's all I need to know to refute the claim he was "one of the better QBs" in Bills history. 

The same can be said for 90% of Bills QB's, haha.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Each to their own. I can't stand watching him.

Fair enough. As a UCLA alum (grad school, not undergrad), Rosen (who I know you were high on) was the sort of guy who checks all of the boxes, but left me absolutely cold. When I was in grad school at UCLA, Rob Johnson (the ultimate talent, but teams NFL didn't like him, which mystified all the draftniks) helmed a team for three seasons in which his LT was Tony Boselli and his receivers were, in, succeeding years, Curtis Conway, Johnny Morton, and Keyshawn Johnson (bear in mind that couples of them would be on the same squad in those years). The defense was absolutely loaded too. Against ND and UCLA in those three years, SC (arguably the most talented team in the country) went 0-5-1, and it was the QB who was the problem despite the gaudy overall-season stats. The Sun Bowl was their destination in those seasons, but it should have been the national championship game.

My point is, Gunnar - and I say this with all due respect, because I think you're one of the best posters on the board - is that I think you're a little too in love with the robo QB model. To quote Clausewitz, the fog of war changes the battlefield immediately. To wit: Rob Johnson could literally do it all on the practice field and was one of the greatest prospects of the 1990s. Moreover, his brother, Bret Johnson, who had a ridiculous arm and even more accurate than RJ (who was really accurate in ideal settings), was the #1 recruit in the country -- even more highly recruited than RJ -- and went to UCLA. He couldn't win the job and - after one season at UCLA - transferred to Michigan State (my wife's alma mater) and never won the job. 

Say what you will about Tyrod Taylor, but he did it the hard way and is an NFL survivor. He'll play into his mid-30s.

Edited by dave mcbride

A very likeable guy and I wish him well.

But when I think of Tyrod the first thing that pops into my head is "how in God's name did Brandon Beane obtain pick 65 for a guy we were trying to get rid of"??

Beane could sell a rat's ass to a blind man and convince them it was a wedding ring.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan

36 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Fair enough. As a UCLA alum (grad school, not undergrad), Rosen (who I know you were high on) was the sort of guy who checks all of the boxes, but left me absolutely cold. When I was in grad school at UCLA, Rob Johnson (the ultimate talent, but teams NFL didn't like him, which mystified all the draftniks) helmed a team for three seasons in which his LT was Tony Boselli and his receivers were, in, succeeding years, Curtis Conway, Johnny Morton, and Keyshawn Johnson (bear in mind that couples of them would be on the same squad in those years). The defense was absolutely loaded too. Against ND and UCLA in those three years, SC (arguably the most talented team in the country) went 0-5-1, and it was the QB who was the problem despite the gaudy overall-season stats. The Sun Bowl was their destination in those seasons, but it should have been the national championship game.

My point is, Gunnar - and I say this with all due respect, because I think you're one of the best posters on the board - is that I think you're a little too in love with the robo QB model. To quote Clausewitz, the fog of war changes the battlefield immediately. To wit: Rob Johnson could literally do it all on the practice field and was one of the greatest prospects of the 1990s. Moreover, his brother, Bret Johnson, who had a ridiculous arm and even more accurate than RJ (who was really accurate in ideal settings), was the #1 recruit in the country -- even more highly recruited than RJ -- and went to UCLA. He couldn't win the job and - after one season at UCLA - transferred to Michigan State (my wife's alma mater) and never won the job. 

Say what you will about Tyrod Taylor, but he did it the hard way and is an NFL survivor. He'll play into his mid-30s.

Nah. I love Russell Wilson, I love Deshaun Watson, I love Kyler Murray. None of those are the robo QB. 

Hell nobody would describe me as a Josh Allen fanboy at this point but I love watching that kid play. He is fun. 

I don't love Tyrod Taylor. I would rather watch paint dry.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What a pathetic thread.  

1) Tyrod helped led a top 10 scoring offense.  What other Bills qb of the last 20 years could say that?

2). Might what to compare Tyrod’s Bills passing stats with Allen’s before you make fun of him.  Allen basically is Tyrod right now.  

I was never a big fan of Tyrod because he was too conservative and didn’t “win” enough games by elevating the team.  But he rarely cost us game and won more than he lost.  Pretty pathetic to try and trash the guy that helped break the drought for trying to be confident with his new team. 

gotta love some fans.  We’ll love you when you’re here but trash you as soon as you leave!!! Go Bills.

I was ready to part with Tyrod because his inability to take chances was maddening. We all knew we were never going to be a Super Bowl team with him under center. That’s the ultimate goal, so why waste time on a guy who can’t get your there? With that said, he was clearly the best QB of the drought era imo. He was our only QB during that era who could make just enough plays to always give you a chance to win, yet also minimized mistakes. Look back at the other guys we had: Trent Edwards was a game manager who made way too many mistakes to excel in that role, while Fitz was gunslinger who will never be a playoff QB because he can’t minimize boneheaded throws. Tyrod gave us what we needed for a while. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What a pathetic thread.  

1) Tyrod helped led a top 10 scoring offense.  What other Bills qb of the last 20 years could say that?

2). Might what to compare Tyrod’s Bills passing stats with Allen’s before you make fun of him.  Allen basically is Tyrod right now.  

I was never a big fan of Tyrod because he was too conservative and didn’t “win” enough games by elevating the team.  But he rarely cost us game and won more than he lost.  Pretty pathetic to try and trash the guy that helped break the drought for trying to be confident with his new team. 

gotta love some fans.  We’ll love you when you’re here but trash you as soon as you leave!!! Go Bills.

Did you forget the man passed for 56 yards in a whole nfl game ???

That bum will be lucky to start 4 games again. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Nah. I love Russell Wilson, I love Deshaun Watson, I love Kyler Murray. None of those are the robo QB. 

Hell nobody would describe me as a Josh Allen fanboy at this point but I love watching that kid play. He is fun. 

I don't love Tyrod Taylor. I would rather watch paint dry.

Taylor cannot play QB. He can throw the ball in single read option sets and bail when nobody’s open and that is literally all. 

• Like (+1) 3

18 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

With Tyrod at QB in the playoff game against Jacksonville we crossed midfield one time.  And scored 3 pts.  Enuf said about him being a good QB.  He is fun to watch scramble.  But overall has a very low ceiling.  Take away the bootleg and throwing to the TE dragging late across the short middle of the field and what does he have left

The second lowest interception percentage in NFL history.  

Ultimately that was not good enough to win in Buffalo. Rivers was a turnover nightmare last year.  My guess is Tyrod will start 8 games and the Chargers will be 3-5 and turn the reins over to the rookie they get in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The second lowest interception percentage in NFL history.  

Ultimately that was not good enough to win in Buffalo. Rivers was a turnover nightmare last year.  My guess is Tyrod will start 8 games and the Chargers will be 3-5 and turn the reins over to the rookie they get in the draft.

Exactly. Taylor is just the type of guy you want in front of the rookie. He doesn't turn it over, he works hard, but he's not good enough to keep your rookie off the field for the whole season. It lets your rookie play his way onto the field after having a few games for fans to get frustrated with Tyrod so they will gush over whomever the rookie is even if they suck.