For those that want a RB in the first few rounds

Virgil

On 3/29/2020 at 7:05 PM, Bangarang said:

Just draft good players and the best ones will play. If we draft a RB that deserves to get the bulk of the carries right away then so be it. Singletary can be a quality #2. I don’t see how this is a problem.

If Singletary can’t handle a little competition, he should be doing something else.

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

If Singletary can’t handle a little competition, he should be doing something else.

It's not competition.

The Bills need another RB they can count on besides DS.

We all saw how the offense completely stalled when Singletary wasn't in games later in the season.

A quality RB2 is of the highest priority on this team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, njbuff said:

It's not competition.

The Bills need another RB they can count on besides DS.

We all saw how the offense completely stalled when Singletary wasn't in games later in the season.

A quality RB2 is of the highest priority on this team.

I like Singletary but when you look up the ratings of NFL RB’s in 2019, the best I see him rated is #20. Maybe other posters know or can find other reports that have him rated higher. “20” is about bottom third of the league. If we are to be a contender, I would like to see our RB rated in the top 10.

Singletary is #22 here:

https://www.thedelite.com/nfl-starting-running-backs-ranked-for-2019-season

===============================================

Singletary is #20 here:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/nfl/rb/2019

=================================================

Singletary is #20 here in a composite fantasy list:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/rankings/rb-cheatsheets.php

================================================

Singletary is #30 here: (nlf.com)

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/video/nfl-com-ranks-nfl-s-top-running-backs-of-2019

=================================================

others ?   please add other rankings

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 8:35 PM, RocCityRoller said:

Hey Virgil, like the post as usual. The team is bereft of ball carriers after Motor. The RB position is devalued, but is still important. Nothing helps a young QB better than a good O-line and a good running game.

If I ran a team I would draft a RB every year/ every other year in rounds 3-5. If I was a GM and had two capable RBs with 2-3 yrs on their rookie contract I would pass on drafting one unless they were the clear BPA. I also wouldn't shell out Todd Gurley/ LeVeon Bell money on FAs or guys about to become FA. If I had an Elliott/ Henry type I may extend, but only in those circumstances.

Right now Buffalo has 1 capable RB with 3 yrs left on is rookie contract, that is Motor. So I would draft one in rounds 3-5 this year. Now if a Jonathan Taylor who almost had 3x2000 seasons falls to me in the 2nd, I do it immediately. I would also want complimentary backs. A big guy and a fast guy, or  mauler/blocker and a pass catcher.

With a plethora of 1-2nd round graded QBs/ WRs and OT's and a shortage of impact DE and Edge this is the perfect year to snag a top tier RB in the 2nd round. I've been on plenty of simulated drafts and seen mocks with Taylor or Dobbins fall to 54. If there is some DE/Edge, RT, TE, CB that falls to 54 fine take him, but you better bet I am dialing up a RB in the 3rd.

Don't forget Beane and the Panthers took Johnathan Stewart when already had DeAngelo Williams. I'm not saying we definitely will take a RB but if a quality guys falls to us I can't see us passing on one. Yet could see us going Edge rusher (DE or LB) or maybe CB.

On 4/3/2020 at 3:06 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Yup, I am indeed living in the past. Specifically, looking at what Beane has done in the past and what it shows about him and how he operates. More, I look at what he's said in the past. And he's never said or done anything to indicate that BPA is a strategy that is, "not appropriate to a team that is in the top 10 or so." Know who believes that? You. Not Beane. Beane's past does indeed show that he goes BPA. He says he will. Then he does it every single time. And then he tells us that he did it. That's how it works with him. He's a BPA guy. And he's continued to say so this year. Every time he's asked.

Thought this excerpt from Beane's call in early April provides some clarity to his strategy related to Best Player Available, especially the underlined portion at the end of his answer:

Q: I’m curious. I guess this could go either way. You’re kind of in a spot where I know you love going best player available and you’re in a good position to do that since your starting lineups intact. You mentioned on the last question that getting a rookie receiver up to speed would have been tough, you know, with this offseason kind of in flux. You think, with the offseason that way, that you’ll maybe lean more towards guys in the draft that need time to develop because you’ve got the luxury of a starting lineup intact or are you looking for guys that you know from your recon that are able to pick things up quicker?

A: Yeah, I mean, I don’t know. It may be a tiebreaker, but I’m not gonna pass up a good player. I’m still gonna go best player available. We do put a lot of emphasis on knowledge and the ability to learn and process information. Guys learn different ways, you know some need to walk through, some can do it off the video, some need to be up on board but as long as we know, they can learn it in one of those forms or fashion. Some maybe take a little bit longer, but I don’t want to pass up a talented player, if I know he can get there, even though, to your point, he may have a slower start if we don’t have much of an offseason here, but we’re really looking. Earlier as I was talking to you guys back when we spoke in the draft room back midseason whenever that was, early in the draft is definitely best player available. As you move later in the draft, then you start looking at, okay, what are some needs? Because now the best player available may not make our team in the fifth round if we’ve already drafted someone there or filled up that position in free agency. So early on, second, third and through there, will definitely be best player offense, defense, whatever.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/4/3/21206671/transcript-buffalo-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-2020-free-agency-stefon-diggs-coronavirus

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, CBD said:

Thought this excerpt from Beane's call in early April provides some clarity to his strategy related to Best Player Available, especially the underlined portion at the end of his answer:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2020/4/3/21206671/transcript-buffalo-bills-general-manager-brandon-beane-2020-free-agency-stefon-diggs-coronavirus

This is my go to Beane quote, from the April 1 press conference:

“If there’s a guy that I think fits a need and the value, that’s probably where I get — some people may say — too aggressive in the draft. But, if there’s a guy that I think is a real sure fit, if I overpay a little bit, so be it,” Beane said Thursday. “It’s better than waiting, sitting on my hands and I’m not really fired up about a guy when my pick comes up. That’s just my viewpoint. That may not be 31 other GMs, but that’s how I see it.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This is my go to Beane quote, from the April 1 press conference:

“If there’s a guy that I think fits a need and the value, that’s probably where I get — some people may say — too aggressive in the draft. But, if there’s a guy that I think is a real sure fit, if I overpay a little bit, so be it,” Beane said Thursday. “It’s better than waiting, sitting on my hands and I’m not really fired up about a guy when my pick comes up. That’s just my viewpoint. That may not be 31 other GMs, but that’s how I see it.”

And that’s no smokescreen considering that’s what he’s actually done in previous drafts. The other thing he said was they will watch for any players they gave a 1st rd grade to who might be sitting there in the 2nd rd and take a good look at that (ie trade up) like they did for Ford last year. This year though I don’t know how much that would actually happen. Matt Miller only had 20 guys with 1st rd grades so I wonder if the Bills board is any deeper there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

That's as good a reason as any

This comment will be good for about another 20 posts.

McCaffrey      $16,0 million a year                  1,387 yards rushing            1,005 yards receiving                   1st round pick 8          rank at RB   1     

Diggs               $14.4 million a year                 -------------------------------            1,130 yards receiving                  

Yeldon             $01.5 million a year                       63 yards rushing               124 yards receiving                  2nd round  pick 36       rank at RB 96

Singeltary       $00.97 million a year                  775 yards rushing               194 yards receiving                   3rd round   pick   4          rank at RB 31

You get what you pay for.

Todays NFL as far as RB's are concerned is much different from back in the day as you & I well know todays back field is a RB by commity type approach unless you find a Derrick Henry type back that is big & can take the pounding, i for one would like a back that is different from Singletary he is a smaller type back that as Beane said can make guys miss in a phone booth but his speed isn't elite .

McD loves versatility in his players & i have read some on a player that would be a good get in the later rounds if there & the Bills could focus on CB, OL, DE or safety with the earlier picks .

My guy is Antonio Gibson as a late round RB with a ton of versatility he could play ST's as a KR & be the #3 RB while doing that to learn from Singletary & Yeldon .

He is just about as different (yet a compliment) to Singletary as you can get, dude runs a 4.39 / 40 is 6'2" tall & 220 lbs with room to add muscle if he's there in the 4th that would be a great get & it could do away with some higher priced contracts & get the team younger at the same time plus add a all around weapon to 3 aspects of the team RB, ST's & receiving skills . He's got my vote .

Cost controlled youth movement with a added vet for the room. I dont mind going after RB with a 3rd-5th rd pick for depth and development (Not Wade level developement). Im not going to be shocked if they take interior players or DB in the 2nd round if Beane doesnt move up.

39 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Cost controlled youth movement with a added vet for the room. I dont mind going after RB with a 3rd-5th rd pick for depth and development (Not Wade level developement). Im not going to be shocked if they take interior players or DB in the 2nd round if Beane doesnt move up.

Singletary is usually ranked about #20 for NFL running backs in 2019.  I looked hard and that is about what I found.  If you disagree, then find something in his production or other evaluations and show a couple that would change that.  The RB gets 15-20 touches per game (https://www.lineups.com/nfl/player-stats/running-back-rb-touches).    That is about 40% of the touches?   Is this the place to put a 5th round player, when you are trying to get deep into the playoffs?   Its okay to use the 5th round player if you just want to show up and sell tickets.

On 3/29/2020 at 6:40 PM, Virgil said:

I’m probably going to regret this post as it even sounds dumb in my head to a degree, but that’s means it’s perfect for the offseason. 

There’s a lot of talk about the Bills getting a RB in rounds 2-4 in April’s draft.  In recent years, your top 3 runningbacks might fall into that range and there’s some serious studs in this years draft.  

With that....

Does anyone worry about bringing in a guy that could also be a full blown, every down back in with Singletary?   I am of the camp that RB’s need to get into a rhythm throughout a game.  Look at Derrick Henry.  He doesn’t just knock people over out of the gate.  He builds abs builds until he starts busting off long runs in the second half.  

Also, I worry about confidence to a certain degree.  Motor isn’t a seasoned vet.  You want people out there who know they are “the guy”.

That’s pretty much all I’ve got.  Feel free to tell me how they are all millionaires and there’s no crying in baseball  

Don’t worry boo, if they go RB in round 2 or 3 it will be for a Fantastic Prospect! I absolutely love this RB class... with how strong our roster is, this is one of the few spots where a newbie can make an impact

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Singletary is usually ranked about #20 for NFL running backs in 2019.  I looked hard and that is about what I found.  If you disagree, then find something in his production or other evaluations and show a couple that would change that.  The RB gets 15-20 touches per game (https://www.lineups.com/nfl/player-stats/running-back-rb-touches).    That is about 40% of the touches?   Is this the place to put a 5th round player, when you are trying to get deep into the playoffs?   Its okay to use the 5th round player if you just want to show up and sell tickets.

I don't think most 3rd-5th round picks are putting fans in the seats. I mean do you think that 2020 is going to depend on players from this draft? Building a team requires having talent across the board. Motor is good and could be special but after that do you want TJ Yeldon filling in for any imaginable reason. Its just adding talent and its only hypothetical at that.

• Like (+1) 1