For those that want a RB in the first few rounds

Virgil

11 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

Yeah while i do read mock drafts i dont put much stock in them. The rb i want is Dillon who "mocked" as a 5th rd pick so I definitely wouldn't spend a 2nd on a RB. I haven't seen a mock that got our 2nd round pick correct in years. Plus while i do think RB is a need. I seriously doubt Beane and co think its as big a need as this board does.  Especially with Christian Wade on the team improving everyday.

Do we have any reason to think this is actually the case? I'm not saying it isn't but this seems to just be an assumption. If Wade is on the active roster, that would be a pleasant surprise.

9 minutes ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

Then we would play action the defense and have huge passing lanes for our wr's and te's. Plus Dillon can catch and we'vee seen Pat Dimarco split wide so why not split out Dillon.

Dillon was pretty much never used in the passing game in college and when he was, he dropped passes at an alarming rate. He also just doesn't look comfortable running routes; it's not impossible that he ends up being an okay receiver in the NFL but everything we've seen from him to this point would suggest he will be a liability in that regard.

And we can playaction with other RBs. We don't want defenses to be able to stack the line, especially with Allen's inability up until now to hurt them over the top.

• Like (+1) 2

I haven't watched much tape on prospects this year. I think they liked Singletary because he can produce behind a non-dominant line - which are few and far between in the NFL. Which prospects have repeatedly shown that ability this year? Dobbins highlights look amazing but the holes he's running through are gigantic. 

16 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I haven't watched much tape on prospects this year. I think they liked Singletary because he can produce behind a non-dominant line - which are few and far between in the NFL. Which prospects have repeatedly shown that ability this year? Dobbins highlights look amazing but the holes he's running through are gigantic. 

I think the two that probably best fit the idea of producing behind poor OLines would be Cam Akers and Ke'Shawn Vaughn.

3 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

My opinion is that the mock drafts indicate that there are good running backs that the professional NFL teams will draft in the first, second and third round.  I guess, somehow, we have a lot of armchair experts, whose job doesn't require them to make right decisions about their teams, who are so much smarter.  I just wonder why they haven't been offered 6 figure salary jobs with NFL front offices yet.

Of course.  Every year, 8 punters are drafted before the first running back.

I'm sure players will get drafted there, and I'm sure most will be good.  It's a position with a very low bust potential.  However I think the difference between a "superstar" running back and a good one is a small margin.  The best rushing attack in the NFL (that didn't have lamar jackson) had Mostert, Breida, and Tevin Coleman.  You don't need a superstar to have an effective rushing attack - you can do it by improving the offensive line and going 3-4 deep at the position.  

43 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

I thought Singletarys quick feet would benefit the offense in the red zone, but they ended up utilizing Allen considerably more in that area.  I wonder if that changes in 2020.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’m not so sure that the draft will be a cluster F. Most of the scouting was done shortly after the combine. The more organized front offices will likely do better this year than less organized GMs. The big change up is that some prospects with medical concerns or character questions will probably drop further. We’re not privy to all that information, so it may seem that some of these kids dropped for no reason. 

Basically anyone with a medical concern coming in or out of the combine is a huge question.  Not getting to host workouts isn't great either.  That's where you get some significant time to get to know a player, see what they do on a whiteboard, watch film, in addition to your doctor's checking them out.  I feel like that helps move players up or down your board a bit.  

2 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I like Edwards Helaire too but for pick 54 it will be hard to pass over vertical threats like Aiyuk, Reagor, Mims, Shenault, Hamler, Higgins, even Kmet, and then the more dynamic RB’s like Swift, Taylor, and Dobbins.  I think all 10 of those guys would have to be gone to consider Edwards Helaire at 54.  Hard to imagine all 10 of those guys being off the board at pick 54.  

There is a "Mock with Dobbins in second" and on the end of page 3 and start of page 4, I have copied some evaluations of the top running back candidates. Swidft Taylor and Dobbins should be gone by #54 .  The top 3-5 look superior to the people after them. We should get a stud who can do more than be JAG and can scare other teams into scheming against the RB.

On 3/30/2020 at 4:59 AM, papazoid said:

Gore led the team in carries,  that must be replaced.

ok, so singletary replaces gore. who replaces singletary ? cause it ain't yeldons career 4.0 yards per carry.

as of today, RB2 is the biggest need on roster.....until and unless  beanne signs a free agent.

The free agents that are available are JAG, while the top 5 RB's from the draft are an upgrade on Singletary.  You don't win a SB, by filling the roster (and players who will even play significant number of plays), with a cost effective guy. You beat other teams by having much better players, not adequate 3rd stringers.

21 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I'm sure players will get drafted there, and I'm sure most will be good.  It's a position with a very low bust potential.  However I think the difference between a "superstar" running back and a good one is a small margin.  The best rushing attack in the NFL (that didn't have lamar jackson) had Mostert, Breida, and Tevin Coleman.  You don't need a superstar to have an effective rushing attack - you can do it by improving the offensive line and going 3-4 deep at the position.  

I thought Singletarys quick feet would benefit the offense in the red zone, but they ended up utilizing Allen considerably more in that area.  I wonder if that changes in 2020.

I think that quick feet don't help that much if you are in very tight spaces and the defense is thick because they are only defending a couple of yards of territory.  That is why you have a fullback bruiser or line a tight end up in the backfield or use your TE/LB sized QB. 

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Do we have any reason to think this is actually the case? I'm not saying it isn't but this seems to just be an assumption. If Wade is on the active roster, that would be a pleasant surprise.

Dillon was pretty much never used in the passing game in college and when he was, he dropped passes at an alarming rate. He also just doesn't look comfortable running routes; it's not impossible that he ends up being an okay receiver in the NFL but everything we've seen from him to this point would suggest he will be a liability in that regard.

And we can playaction with other RBs. We don't want defenses to be able to stack the line, especially with Allen's inability up until now to hurt them over the top.

You're correct about my assumption on Wade as I dont have any proof. My thoughts are as raw as he was he can only get better and he wouldn't have left a sport were he was already a star. Unless he was serious about becoming the best nfl player he could be.

I did watch about half of Dillons games this year but i never saw him drop a pass. True they were mostly screen passes. Also he looked better catching and running routes at the combine than i thought he would. 

But im not a scout, or draft expert. These are just my opinions.

Edited by ChattanoogaBills

Just now, maryland-bills-fan said:

I think that quick feet don't help that much if you are in very tight spaces and the defense is thick because they are only defending a couple of yards of territory.  That is why you have a fullback bruiser or line a tight end up in the backfield or use your TE/LB sized QB. 

Yeah in a condensed goal line situation sure, but when you have the end zone the field gets shorter in general and you see more condensed zone stuff.  Giving Singletary space to operate he may only have to beat one guy, and hes pretty good at beating one guy. 

I also hate rushing directly into a heavy defense.  Gimme mckenzie in motion and zone read with allen and singletary.  Make the LBs and Safeties think.  

UB's Jaret Patterson ranked #4 college RB of 2020 by ESPN

2084.png&w=110&h=110

4. Jaret Patterson, Buffalo

Representing the Group of 5 is none other than Patterson, who was among the five most valuable running backs in college football last year. He posted an 87.5 rushing grade in 2019, which ranked among the three best Group of 5 running backs. Patterson was handed several opportunities to make plays for Buffalo's offense through the usage of run-pass options (RPOs), and he proved to be one of the best in the country on those plays, as he trailed only LSU's Clyde Edwards-Helaire in PFF grade on RPOs while generating a first down or touchdown on 37.3% of his touches on such plays, which was a top-three mark in the nation last year.

The need for a good complimentary back not only will make us harder to  defend, but more importantly will provide carries that will keep Motor fresh in the 4th quarter. The only way to get a good one is earlier in the draft, or overpay with one of the remaining free agents. Beane masterfully created depth with defensive and O-line free agency additions, so RB is a real need.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Basically anyone with a medical concern coming in or out of the combine is a huge question.  Not getting to host workouts isn't great either.  That's where you get some significant time to get to know a player, see what they do on a whiteboard, watch film, in addition to your doctor's checking them out.  I feel like that helps move players up or down your board a bit.  

It does, but a lot of the interviewing and white board stuff can be done with video conferencing. I think the more progressive front offices that embrace technology and do their homework will be fine. The Buddy Nix types (if there are any left) will be at a disadvantage. Most of these workouts are for medical and confirmation. To be honest, I’m not sure what the rules are for the extent of contact through media technologies. ?‍♂️

I'm not sold on taking a RB at 54. I am however a huge proponent of taking Zach Moss in the 3rd, if he's gone J.J Taylor of Arizona is very intriguing. Another 15  -17 carries a game type guy. Ya he's undersized and isn't the thunder to Singletary's lightning but as a late round pick he can provide much more than a 4-6 round pick would be expected to.

9 hours ago, DJB said:

I think we need to get a guy who not only compliments Motor but also is an upgrade on him too. 

Singletary would become the best backup RB in the league. 

Dobbins

Swift

Taylor

Akers

CEH

Would all supplant Singletary as the best RB on the roster. 

I think you are underestimating  Singletary. He is a sensation waiting for more opportunities.

Akers will never be as good as Singletary, I could see Swift or Taylor being a challenge, though.