For those that want a RB in the first few rounds

Virgil

23 hours ago, blacklabel said:

Nah, I wouldn't worry about that. McDermott's program is all about doing your part. They want a balanced team full of players that compliment each other well. When your number is called, go do your job, simple as that. I'm sure if they had a situation where one guy became the hot hand, they'd roll with him for most of the game. But we know McDermott really loves his rotations and keeping guys fresh. 

And for the most part, the days of the 25+ carries a game/workhorse type of back are over. Unless you're Derrick Henry, most teams feature two backs with either a pretty even split on snap counts or a lead guy who goes for 70-75% of the snaps and steps out when he needs a breath. That's mah best guess anyway. Been sitting around the house going on two weeks now, my daily routine is all jacked up and I think my brain is going to mush so my opinion could be as valuable as a poopy-flavored lollypop at this point. 

25+ per game is largely a myth. That’s 400+ carries. Very few have ever done it and it’s ruined careers.

in this offense I expect one back at 15 carries, the other at 10 a game and over a season they split about 75-100 catches.

If our RB2 totals 200 touches then he’s worth a solid pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Last year after October Gore killed drives and squandered momentum.  Yeldon is decent but has had a fumbling issue his entire NFL career.  To generate more points the Bills need a better back on the feild when Singeltary isnt.  In terms of depth of positions and draft position offensive skill player should the pick at 54. 

Both Rb and Wr are deep position groups this year.  I believe Buffalo will have a chance at a player at one of those positions that would have been in play at 22.  The depth at edge seems to be thin imo.  

I understand that Rbs are dime a dozen.  Compatent players can be found on day 3, off the street, or undrafted.  Those players are limited in their ability though.  The early you draft the more things they can do.  The less predictable the plays called are.

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Virgil said:

Can someone please explain this to to me about or DB issue that many think we have?

Tre, Wallace, Neal should be our 3 starters   

Then, if any of them pan out Normal, Gaines, and Johnson. 

Where’s the gap exactly?  

The only thing I can think is people are afraid of losing Wallace and you are drafting for next year?   But then, draft them next year.  Anyone you bring in over the first 3 rounds should be a starter and I don’t know when this rookie would play. I’m really looking forward to Neal in training camp as he showed great flashes last year.  I don’t see Wallace losing his job.  

I disagree I think that Taron Johnson should be the slot guy on most snaps, Neal in there ocassionally. I also believe and hope either Gaines or Norman start over Levi Wallace but competition all the way.

RUNNING BACK

Carlos Hyde, Lamar Miller, Devonta Freeman

After signing one Texans running back (Taiwan Jones), the Bills could go back and add another former Houston back. Both of their backs from last season, Lamar Miller and Carlos Hyde, are available.

Miller is coming off of a torn ACL in last year’s preseason, but has been an effective back in his career. He has rushed for 880 yards or more from 2014-2018 and is a terrific receiver.

Hyde is coming off of a 1,000 yard season, but his market has been limited. He doesn’t bring as much to the Bills from a receiving standpoint as Miller, but he showed that he can still be an effective runner (245-1,070-6) in 2019.

As of last week, a source close to Devonta Freeman told NYUP that the Bills had not made any contact in regards to the back. They made a point to add that this could always change. The longer that Freeman remains a free agent, the likelier it is that his price tag will come down. At some point, Buffalo may see value in the back. Freeman is coming off of a 184-656-2 stat line in 2019.

Gee,  the Bills haven't made contact with either of these guys,,,,,, but some people still are suggesting we are going to pick them up as FA.

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2020/03/free-agency-2020-10-players-buffalo-bills-should-consider-signing.html

reader nfl draft draft tech tankaton  sporting  fantasy
  draft site draft tech SD news Walter CBS walter big board big board BB news BB pros
1 - 8                      

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
9-16       Swift             Swift

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
17-24       Taylor   Swift     Swift    

25-32 Taylor         Taylor Taylor     Swift Dobbins
            (swift)       Taylor E-H
33-40 Swift Taylor Taylor Dobbins Swift (swift)   Swift   Dobbins Akers
    Swift           Taylor      
41-48     Swift   Moss E-H     Taylor    
      Dobbins                
49-56   Dobbins   Akens Dobbins Dobbins   Dobbins Dobbins    
            Moss          
57-64 Dobbins Akers Akers   (Etinene) Dobbins Dobbins E-H     Moss
      E-H     Moss          
65-72   E-H     Taylor       Akers   Vaughn
                  E-H   Bengimin
73-80 Akers Moss     Benjamin   E-H   Moss Moss Dillon

81-88       EH     Swift        
        Moss              
89-96 E-H       Hill   Akens Moss      
  12+1                    
97-104 Moss                   McFarlan

105-112     Moss109   Harris   Moss128        

Ok, sorry for the eye chart but I can't figure out how to put a nice easy to read excel table into a post.  I've put the draft position of RB's into groups of 8 picks (octaves) to make thing simplier (right!).  I looked at ten 3-round mock drafts and top 100 player lists. 

This gives an idea about how those sorts of people view the RB and the draft.   Yes they are wrong most of the time but they probably know more than me, although some are obviously idiots.  I think Beane has a plan for getting our 2nd running back on the basis of our second round pick.  Swift looks out of reach for us,  Dobbins may fall to us and Taylor might be available with a trade up.  If some team starts a run on running backs, all bets are off.

Swift             end of 1st

Taylor          early 2nd

Dobbins       2nd half of 2nd round

EH                top of 3rd round

Akers          bottom of 3rd round

Moss          middle of 3rd round

Basically our options for moving up are as follows.  Of course you have to find a partner to dance.

#54               R2 pick and stay pat......................  Could get Dobbins. ..............Probably get EH or Akers

#45              R2, R4, R5 picks.  Move up to middle 2nd quarter of 2nd round. .........Dobbins and a shot at Taylor

#38              R2, R3 picks.  Move up to  first quarter of 2nd round .......Dobbins for sure, ,,Taylor possible,   shot at Swift?

#33              R2, R3, R4 picks.  Move up to the top of the 2nd round  ......good  shot at Taylor,..... some chance at Swift  

#31              R2, R3, next years R2   Bottom of first round.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

4 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Basically our options for moving up are as follows.  Of course you have to find a partner to dance.

#54               R2 pick and stay pat......................  Could get Dobbins. ..............Probably get EH or Akers

#45              R2, R4, R5 picks.  Move up to middle 2nd quarter of 2nd round. .........Dobbins and a shot at Taylor

#38              R2, R3 picks.  Move up to  first quarter of 2nd round .......Dobbins for sure, ,,Taylor possible,   shot at Swift?

#33              R2, R3, R4 picks.  Move up to the top of the 2nd round  ......good  shot at Taylor,..... some chance at Swift  

#31              R2, R3, next years R2   Bottom of first round.

I would definitely prefer to just stay at 54 rather than trading up for a RB, especially considering we're very likely to end up with one of the top 4 being there at 54 or at worst getting Moss/Akers in the 3rd.

On 3/30/2020 at 1:55 PM, Just Joshin' said:

Two good backs are required in the current NFL.  Spread the load when healthy, contingency ready if one is hurt.

What you need to avoid is the second back being one dimensional.  The pass or run threat must be real or the opposing DC gets to defend half the playbook.

I agree.  People talk about how good Singletary was last season.  He was.  But then I think about what adding another back who is even better than him.  Someone like Dobbins.  Damn.  That would be awesome for this offense.  They could split the workload almost evenly.  Always a fresh, high quality back on the field to wear down defenses.  That would also alleviate a big worry: that we don’t get a second quality back and the workload gets Singletary injured so we are left with zero good RBs by the end of the season and playoffs.  Another quality RB is definitely my top need for this offense at the moment.  

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again RB is the least valuable position in the NFL currently when you look at it from top to bottom.  Given the choice between a stud RB and a stud punter, I'd take the punter.  With that said I don't mind taking a RB in rounds 3-7 but anything prior is just a waste of resources. 

21 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Dobbins, Taylor or Swift will probably not make it to #54, Edeards Helair might and Akers will never last until #86. You might check out some mock drafts.

Mock drafts create this consensus that they are right, and that the player values are the same for them as other teams.  They aren't.  There are guys projected in rounds 4 and 5 that will go undrafted. 

Adding on the fact that pro-days and meetings are basically cancelled?  This is going to be a cluster of a draft IMO.  

13 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again RB is the least valuable position in the NFL currently when you look at it from top to bottom.  Given the choice between a stud RB and a stud punter, I'd take the punter.  With that said I don't mind taking a RB in rounds 3-7 but anything prior is just a waste of resources. 

Over 100 touches - a good RB might rush for 4.5 YPC, and a bad one 3.5.  That's 100 yards over 100 touches.  A good punter over the course of a season might punt say 50 times and the league leader in net avg was 44.5, ours was 38.2.  That's a difference of 315 yards over the course of 50 "touches".  Obviously this is a vast oversimplification of value - RBs have value in the passing game/pass protection, punters can be evaluated on other factors like Fair Catches and IN20 vs. TB% etc.  

Edited by dneveu

I agree that good running backs can often be found in later rounds. However I disagree with several posters who say running backs are “a dime a dozen“. Good running backs are not THAT prevalent. I absolutely do believe that we need a complementary running back to Devin who is a weapon and not just a fill in. I think this would make the offense that much better. It’s probably unlikely that they will take a running back in the second round. However, if it is determined that the best player available at that point is a running back I could see them pulling the trigger. I’m not a fan of Yeldon at all.So if they don’t get one in free agency I would be surprised if they don’t take one in the draft and may be earlier than a lot of people think.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd also interested in which RB prospects are also good Receivers.

Coming out with Diggs/Brown/Beasley, Knox at TE, and a RB gives us the option to split out 5 wide and catch the Defense in a mismatch, or choose to run it if the D decides to play the pass.

100% agree. When x comes in and can only run and isn't a pass catching threat, it takes potential plays off the board. I am all about creating mismatches and exploiting them.

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Mock drafts create this consensus that they are right, and that the player values are the same for them as other teams.  They aren't.  

Adding on the fact that pro-days and meetings are basically cancelled?  This is going to be a cluster of a draft IMO.  

I’m not so sure that the draft will be a cluster F. Most of the scouting was done shortly after the combine. The more organized front offices will likely do better this year than less organized GMs. The big change up is that some prospects with medical concerns or character questions will probably drop further. We’re not privy to all that information, so it may seem that some of these kids dropped for no reason. 

8 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

I agree that good running backs can often be found in later rounds. However I disagree with several posters who say running backs are “a dime a dozen“. Good running backs are not THAT prevalent. I absolutely do believe that we need a complementary running back to Devin who is a weapon and not just a fill in. I think this would make the offense that much better. It’s probably unlikely that they will take a running back in the second round. However, if it is determined that the best player available at that point is a running back I could see them pulling the trigger. I’m not a fan of Yeldon at all.So if they don’t get one in free agency I would be surprised if they don’t take one in the draft and may be earlier than a lot of people think.

My opinion is that the mock drafts indicate that there are good running backs that the professional NFL teams will draft in the first, second and third round.  I guess, somehow, we have a lot of armchair experts, whose job doesn't require them to make right decisions about their teams, who are so much smarter.  I just wonder why they haven't been offered 6 figure salary jobs with NFL front offices yet.

25 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Of course.  Every year, 8 punters are drafted before the first running back.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

I think we need to get a guy who not only compliments Motor but also is an upgrade on him too. 

Singletary would become the best backup RB in the league. 

Dobbins

Swift

Taylor

Akers

CEH

Would all supplant Singletary as the best RB on the roster. 

23 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

100% agree. When x comes in and can only run and isn't a pass catching threat, it takes potential plays off the board. I am all about creating mismatches and exploiting them.

That is 110% of why I want Clyde Edwards-Helaire.    He's Thurman Thomas 2.0, which would make this offense on par with Kansas City if all the parts work together...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Yep, this is one of the reasons why I don't want any part of AJ Dillon personally. Him being in the game will tell teams what we're doing (and also probably force us into formations that invite the defense to stack the line as well).

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Dobbins, Taylor or Swift will probably not make it to #54, Edeards Helair might and Akers will never last until #86. You might check out some mock drafts.

Yeah while i do read mock drafts i dont put much stock in them. The rb i want is Dillon who "mocked" as a 5th rd pick so I definitely wouldn't spend a 2nd on a RB. I haven't seen a mock that got our 2nd round pick correct in years. Plus while i do think RB is a need. I seriously doubt Beane and co think its as big a need as this board does.  Especially with Christian Wade on the team improving everyday.

Edited by ChattanoogaBills

I like Edwards Helaire too but for pick 54 it will be hard to pass over vertical threats like Aiyuk, Reagor, Mims, Shenault, Hamler, Higgins, even Kmet, and then the more dynamic RB’s like Swift, Taylor, and Dobbins.  I think all 10 of those guys would have to be gone to consider Edwards Helaire at 54.  Hard to imagine all 10 of those guys being off the board at pick 54.  

29 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Yep, this is one of the reasons why I don't want any part of AJ Dillon personally. Him being in the game will tell teams what we're doing (and also probably force us into formations that invite the defense to stack the line as well).

Then we would play action the defense and have huge passing lanes for our wr's and te's. Plus Dillon can catch and we'vee seen Pat Dimarco split wide so why not split out Dillon.