For those that want a RB in the first few rounds

Virgil

Rb needs some depth in my opinion. Gore is done and he had a great career!  Yeldon is a big back but lacked the acceleration to exploit holes when open. Really didn’t seem hard to bring down for his size either! Motor was much tougher to tackle after contact than Yeldon.

We need a back that has burst and acceleration. That has good instincts and can wear down d-lines. Like Kenny Davis from back in the day! If the defense let down at all when Thurman was out, Davis made you pay!!

This draft is all about depth and acquiring  young talent for the future! Maybe not so much at rb but it’s nice to be where we’re at for a change.

The more we discuss the RB early option, the more I am hoping it happens.

First, as far as Singletary's confidence.  I think if the front office tells him they are looking for him to take over the Frank Gore role of  veteran RB, Devin will view it as an honor.  And it is.  I hope Singletary has shown he can do the role and the front office gives it to him.  Singletary is a lot better than Gore at this point (and better than the Gore of last year).  Singletary is also better than any vet RB they could pick up in FA - Hyde, Freeman, etc.  And Singletary is cheaper and has many years still left on his first contract.  If you view part of this as Singletary replacing Gore it's easy to see this as a vast improvement over last year.

With the early draft pick the Bills can then attempt to find an RB that is better than, or at least equal to, the back they had in Singletary last year.  The RB room gets younger, cheaper, and better.  It's not just a short term boost, it serves an intermediate/long term goal as well.

We all know that the RB situation is not finished.  The best avenue to completing this portion of the roster, as outlined above, is clearly through the draft.  If in an incredibly disappointing series of events occur and they are not able to acquire one of the RBs they are targeting, they could then go back into the FA market and pick up one of the vet plodders.

It is my optimistic hoping that the FO has told Clowney to hold on and if things break the way they envision they will have freed up enough money (around 18 mill or so) to have him come aboard.  I guy can dream.

I get the part about a RB needing to get into rhythm.  I don't think Motor is one of those guys.  HE appears to be able to come in at any point at be up to speed.  So we will need to make sure we draft a RB partner that can also come in and be at 100%.  

Your point about Henry is spot-on.  He was good, but not great, when splitting carries with Lewis.  When he was the "lead" he dominated.  

I'd love an Ingram/Kamara situation.  I think that's what we are going for.  

If our biggest concern is potentially drafting a RB who is so good he takes time away from Singletary, or even pushes Singletary to the RB2 role, then I'd say we are in a very good spot. That's a great problem to have.

I am generally against taking a RB early, and would still never take one in the 1st round. But given the way our roster is currently built, if there is a top prospect available at 54, I'd be happy if Beane took him. I'm all about adding weapons to the Offense.

• Like (+1) 6

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m probably going to regret this post as it even sounds dumb in my head to a degree, but that’s means it’s perfect for the offseason. 

There’s a lot of talk about the Bills getting a RB in rounds 2-4 in April’s draft.  In recent years, your top 3 runningbacks might fall into that range and there’s some serious studs in this years draft.  

With that....

Does anyone worry about bringing in a guy that could also be a full blown, every down back in with Singletary?   I am of the camp that RB’s need to get into a rhythm throughout a game.  Look at Derrick Henry.  He doesn’t just knock people over out of the gate.  He builds abs builds until he starts busting off long runs in the second half.  

Also, I worry about confidence to a certain degree.  Motor isn’t a seasoned vet.  You want people out there who know they are “the guy”.

That’s pretty much all I’ve got.  Feel free to tell me how they are all millionaires and there’s no crying in baseball  

I think McCaffrey should be brought in, not to poop on Motor but to compliment him... We could run a lot of 2 RB sets and really open up the threats that would pose to teams...

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If our biggest concern is potentially drafting a RB who is so good he takes time away from Singletary, or even pushes Singletary to the RB2 role, then I'd say we are in a very good spot. That's a great problem to have.

I am generally against taking a RB early, and would still never take one in the 1st round. But given the way our roster is currently built, if there is a top prospect available at 54, I'd be happy if Beane took him. I'm all about adding weapons to the Offense.

Well said.  It's the simplest way to improve the offense.

Picking a RB that is good in pass blocking would help even more.

Having 2 RBs that are a real threat will also help keep the opposing teams pass rush honest.

I really hope to see a good one drafted in whatever round the right guy is located!

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Well said.  It's the simplest way to improve the offense.

Picking a RB that is good in pass blocking would help even more.

Having 2 RBs that are a real threat will also help keep the opposing teams pass rush honest.

I really hope to see a good one drafted in whatever round the right guy is located!

I'd also interested in which RB prospects are also good Receivers.

Coming out with Diggs/Brown/Beasley, Knox at TE, and a RB gives us the option to split out 5 wide and catch the Defense in a mismatch, or choose to run it if the D decides to play the pass.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd also interested in which RB prospects are also good Receivers.

Coming out with Diggs/Brown/Beasley, Knox at TE, and a RB gives us the option to split out 5 wide and catch the Defense in a mismatch, or choose to run it if the D decides to play the pass.

Perine probably has the most experience with that having lined up out wide. Caught 40 passes last season. 

I’m still thinking that they may add a WR with backfield experience as well. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked to see them grab a bigger back like Zack Moss and a WR like Bowden who can play RB in a pinch or get utilized for jet sweeps, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1

This team is all about complementary components.  In Mc's scheme, you need a big yardage back and a short yardage back, as we had last season until Gore tailed off.  Plus, change of pace is often quite beneficial in today's NFL.  Bring in a Dobbin or Dillon and we'll be in real good shape.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Perine probably has the most experience with that having lined up out wide. Caught 40 passes last season. 

I’m still thinking that they may add a WR with backfield experience as well. I honestly wouldn’t be shocked to see them grab a bigger back like Zack Moss and a WR like Bowden who can play RB in a pinch or get utilized for jet sweeps, etc. 

I'd be happy with Perine in the 3rd (or better yet the 4th), but not sure the Bills can afford to wait that long if any of the top guys are still there at 54.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Augie said:

Singletary WILL need a break, and probably miss some games for some reason. We need a legit guy to carry on.  I also like the idea of versatility and being able to attack in different ways, depending upon what we are facing. With no other seriously pressing needs, get that solid RB2 so we don’t miss a beat. 

Yesterday I watched first half of last season condensed version on Game Pass. Gore was done by the Washington game, from that point on when Singletary was rested the running game was Josh or jet sweeps. They need a second RB.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Dopey said:

Not worried about Devin's confidence. May the best man win.

I think it’s essential to have 2 quality backs. We have 1.

I wouldn’t get caught up in who’s the starter, how many plays/carries. Opponent and circumstance will dictate that. 

Just get another quality RB

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Yesterday I watched first half of last season condensed version on Game Pass. Gore was done by the Washington game, from that point on when Singletary was rested the running game was Josh or jet sweeps. They need a second RB.

Gee, I wonder if the other professional football teams and coaches might have noticed the same thing? We need more playmaking options, and the Bills have come right out and told us that. It’s no secret. The only question is who do they really like, and how high are they willing to take a RB. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

They don't need to pick a RB in round 2 or 3. Good RB's can be found in rounds 4 or 5. I would love this team to eye Edge in round 2 and WR in round 3 (they need depth behind Diggs, Beasley, and Brown plus they need some youth at the position, they are one injury away from the offense being last years offense) or even CB with one of those picks over RB. With Singletary and Yeldon RB is more of a role player need than a I must have it filled at pick 54 type need. 

Singletary is a good RB, Yeldon is a solid 3rd down depth back. They need an early down grinder which I think you can find in round 4 or 5. Whereas the need to secure another upgrade to the pass rush off the edge and get younger behind a very old group is much more pressing and hard to fill. Adding a good WR behind the big 3 to get younger and depth is also more pressing. RB is not a need you can't fill later in the draft. 

3 hours ago, ChattanoogaBills said:

I dont see us drafting dobbins, taylor , or swift in the 2nd round. I seriously doubt we go rb before round 3 this draft. 

I keep looking for any poster here to add in pass protection/blitz pick up as a attribute for drafting the rb they want. Pass pro mistakes kept yeldon on the bench for most of the year. Yeldon was terrible at blitz pick up for us. D. Freeman (atl) is also terrible at blitz pick up.

Personally I'd love getting Akers in the 3rd possibly trading by down from our 2nd rd pick to the early mid 3rd. 

AJ Dillon and Antonio Gibson are my other hopefuls from 3rd to 5th rd . Seriously if McBeane think that Z. Moss is their guy but only rank him 128 on their overall board. Why would they take a different rb in the 2nd OR even take Moss before the 4th round in that scenario.

One other point I'd like to make is just because 90% of the board has little to no faith in Christian Wade stepping up this season. Doesnt mean the ACTUAL people (Mc'beane) dont already know that he WILL be able to handle that responsibility easily.

It will be very interesting to see what our FO does with this position going foward.

Either way in Mc'Beane i trust.

Go Bills

Dobbins, Taylor or Swift will probably not make it to #54, Edeards Helair might and Akers will never last until #86. You might check out some mock drafts.

34 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd be happy with Perine in the 3rd (or better yet the 4th), but not sure the Bills can afford to wait that long if any of the top guys are still there at 54.

I doubt he goes before the 4th. He’s good at a lot of things, but he doesn’t seem to have any outstanding physical traits. He has excellent vision and can press the LOS though, so with a good Oline he could do serious damage. 

3 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

This is year 3, the Go For It year for Beaner, our QB doesn't take up $30M off our cap yet and we have seen what that does to teams like Seattle, GB, Detroit etc.   It can impair your ability to get free agents and keep your studs.

With that in mind, I think we may see a little more tendency to draft for need than pure BPA simply because there are only a few spots a rookie can help us win games this season.  Our entire offense is returning plus a great new receiver who is worth 100 targets.  

Last year our offense looked (roughly) like this: 500 throws by josh, who also ran 100 times, and we handed off about 350 times, Motor getting 150 of those carries.  He didn't play the full season, so likely Daboll is looking at getting the kid 200 handoffs this year.  He has to. No RB in the world with over 150 carries last year had a better yard per carry than Singletary.  Not Derrick Henry, Saquon, McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook--nobody.  

That leaves room for a 100-125 carry RB2, which will be a big piece of our puzzle this year.  The guy will be roughly 10% of our offense, a perfect rookie role and the only way I see a new kid helping us win on offense.  There are longshots at RT, maybe TE2, but I think Beaner will be going RB for the 1st offensive draft pick for this reason.  We need a sharp kid who can protect and run hard, be ready to go on opening day.

Aaaaaand thats where you look to Astro for answers.  

[1] Beane takes advantage of what will be in the draft around our pick.  [2] Beane uses the draft to get difference maker players, and get them cheaply on rookie contracts. [3] what he did this year was use FA to improve the offensive and defensive lines, and NOT the running back position, where we don't have a second running back. [4] because one of the top 5 RB will be drafted using our 2nd round pick and whatever else is necessary to get a TD difference maker and break away threat to help Allen.  That RB will be the BPA at our pick (or move up). [5] If there is a run on the RB's that is beyond our reach, we lose and will get JAG using the 3rd round pick and use BPA at #54.  LB or CB.

Two good backs are required in the current NFL.  Spread the load when healthy, contingency ready if one is hurt.

What you need to avoid is the second back being one dimensional.  The pass or run threat must be real or the opposing DC gets to defend half the playbook.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Lurker said:

All I know is I want an RB2 who doesn't miss a beat and executes the same offense as RB1 with virtually no drop off.    Not like Gore, who literrally wasted downs during the second half of the season...

two headed monster will take a veteran who still has tread on the tire and will cost....they wont do this. It will be a guy can we get 450-500 yds out of him >?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

They don't need to pick a RB in round 2 or 3. Good RB's can be found in rounds 4 or 5. I would love this team to eye Edge in round 2 and WR in round 3 (they need depth behind Diggs, Beasley, and Brown plus they need some youth at the position, they are one injury away from the offense being last years offense) or even CB with one of those picks over RB. With Singletary and Yeldon RB is more of a role player need than a I must have it filled at pick 54 type need. 

Singletary is a good RB, Yeldon is a solid 3rd down depth back. They need an early down grinder which I think you can find in round 4 or 5. Whereas the need to secure another upgrade to the pass rush off the edge and get younger behind a very old group is much more pressing and hard to fill. Adding a good WR behind the big 3 to get younger and depth is also more pressing. RB is not a need you can't fill later in the draft. 

So, who is the good edge prospect?  Do they think enough of Okwara or Greenard  to take them there?  I think that Anae and Weaver were highly productive, but don’t look like the kind of athlete that would warrant that high a pick.  

I do think they could find a good CB prospect there.