For those that want a RB in the first few rounds

Virgil

37 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Singletary is fine.  Daboll is the problem.

5.1 yards per carry and Daboll inexplicably shuts him down.

We don't need an early round RB.  We need an OC who knows how to use the RB we drafted in the 3rd round last year.

What do you propose for when Motor goes down for a few weeks? As he did last year. Be it a hammy, a concussion or who knows what. We need a legit 1B. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I don't see that there is a gap, or problem, in the defensive backfield, nor do I think it should be addressed in the draft this year.

Same. Wallace had one bad stretch and was otherwise solid. McDermott seems to be able to find CB's at Wegman's.

If the pass rush improves, the secondary will look a whole lot better.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m probably going to regret this post as it even sounds dumb in my head to a degree, but that’s means it’s perfect for the offseason. 

There’s a lot of talk about the Bills getting a RB in rounds 2-4 in April’s draft.  In recent years, your top 3 runningbacks might fall into that range and there’s some serious studs in this years draft.  

With that....

Does anyone worry about bringing in a guy that could also be a full blown, every down back in with Singletary?   I am of the camp that RB’s need to get into a rhythm throughout a game.  Look at Derrick Henry.  He doesn’t just knock people over out of the gate.  He builds abs builds until he starts busting off long runs in the second half.  

Also, I worry about confidence to a certain degree.  Motor isn’t a seasoned vet.  You want people out there who know they are “the guy”.

That’s pretty much all I’ve got.  Feel free to tell me how they are all millionaires and there’s no crying in baseball  

I get your point

if god forbid anyone happens with Devin beane will look awfully smart

Gore led the team in carries,  that must be replaced.

ok, so singletary replaces gore. who replaces singletary ? cause it ain't yeldons career 4.0 yards per carry.

as of today, RB2 is the biggest need on roster.....until and unless  beanne signs a free agent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Twenty years ago an RB not treated as a bell cow might have worried about it, as that was the standard.

These days there are so guys who aren't platooned that I don't think it can affect a back's confidence.

And I've always thought that when that RB appears to improve late in the game after pounding away for awhile, it's not so much that he's improving as that the defense is exhausted, and any back would look good running against them at that moment.

And while I think a 2nd round back would be a major surprise, I fully expect them to bring one in somewhere between the 3rd and 5th. And for him to be pretty good.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Virgil said:

Can someone please explain this to to me about or DB issue that many think we have?

Tre, Wallace, Neal should be our 3 starters   

Then, if any of them pan out Normal, Gaines, and Johnson. 

Where’s the gap exactly?  

The only thing I can think is people are afraid of losing Wallace and you are drafting for next year?   But then, draft them next year.  Anyone you bring in over the first 3 rounds should be a starter and I don’t know when this rookie would play. I’m really looking forward to Neal in training camp as he showed great flashes last year.  I don’t see Wallace losing his job.  

It's pretty common to see 5 DBs these days on many plays and sometimes even 6. And these guys get injured reasonably often. They've got delicate hammies and often seem to have leg issues of one kind or another. Not all of them but enough that in many seasons it's an issue for a very fair number of teams.

With Gaines back the need is lessened but you can never have too many of those guys and it seems that in many seasons you need more than you think you will.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, MJS said:

To be honest I'd be fine if we bring in guys off the street throughout the season to play RB 2 or 3. Yeldon is fine. We'd get through the season just fine without a high end RB2. I want to see what Singletary can do as the true #1.

RB is such a devalued position that you can pickup quality guys off waivers and in the bottom rounds of the draft. People are acting like we need a 1st or 2nd round RB and I think that's not true. Daboll comes from NE where they have been playing a bunch of no name RB's effectively for decades.

But yeah, it would be nice to have a stud #2. But that means you are sacrificing in some other area. I'd rather have a stud #2 CB, or a potential offensive line starter, or LB depth. I'd want those positions prioritized over RB in the draft.

I don't think there is a hole, personally, but CB is definately one of those positions where you can never have enough talent. Having two studs at CB is really nice. Right now we have one stud and after that there's a decent drop off, which is fine.

What I think is missing from your view are the following. [1] there is a BIG difference between a JAG "backup" running back and having a 1a and 1b running back.  Teams are going the 1a and 1b route.  Remember TT and Davis in the superbowl years. Without Davis, we miss at least one superbowl..... [2]  You arr NOT going to get a stud CB or DE two thirds the way down the second round.  61% of the time you are getting a development JAG guy who is not going to see the field as a DE and will be an emergency DB replacement on a team like the Bills.  It is not making your team better this year. It is depth and cost savings in the future.   [3] This year we have a shot at really upgrading RB with the top 3-4 guys or improving greatly over JAG with the top 5 or 6.  The 3rd round will only bring a minor improvement over the leftovers from the FA or waiver wire.  [4] Beane has shown that he WILL trade up to get a high quality player.   Allen, Ford, Knox, Edmunds, Dawkins, Melano are examples of aggressive moves to get a difference maker rather than an adequate JAG. It has been successful.  For example, I like Edmunds even though we gave up a 3rd round pick to move up from 22 to 16.   There were good players available at #22, but he went for the difference maker player.   Expect more of the same, as they are trying to be a top team rather than striving to just stay in the top half of the league.  Beane wants as many DIFFERENCE MAKERS, STUDS, or TOUCHDOWN SCORERS as possible. Outclass the oppositiion at as many key positions as possible.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan
  • Like (+1) 2

I’m thinking about all the times drives stalled last year because McDermott was giving touches to Gore. 

Not to mention the few weeks Singletary was out due to injury. Taking Dobbins, Taylor, Akers, Moss with one of our first two picks is great insurance. We still need a lot of talent on offense and Beane said he’s looking for touchdown makers.

McDermott is a conservative coach who values a ground game. Let’s get him another talented youngster and protect our young QB.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am not concerned at all if we have two every down backs. If we get to the point where we have two top 12 RB we can put both on the field at once and let the Defense choose which running back is the real threat that play. Can you imagine a D coordinator planning for our three receivers, two RB, and then our TE's? The only position where having clear starter/backup is QB. anyone else as much talent as possible.

Totally agree.  A team can't have too many weapons because guys get hurt.  The Chiefs are the perfect example.

I think your right, Devin is the guy but probably won’t see the type of carries that a Henry gets. I think we will showcase our receivers, tight ends , which will open things up for Devin. He won’t take a lot of abuse with his elusiveness.

I’d still like to get a young big  physical back to spell Devin once in a while, change of pace.  Henry is a beast and was even stronger third and fourth quarter because he had been wearing down the opposing d up to that point. From a physical toll who wants to be tackling a massive Henry late in the game when he’s been pounding you all day. 

Frank was that guy and started strong but by end of year he wasn’t as effective. I wouldn’t mind a change of pace back to lay some hurt on those guys late

However with that being said, it may not be a priority to them to find a guy early. I’m sure we grab one for depth unless their a no brainer chance to grab a good one when they draft. I’m not really caught up on the college class of backs. 

In Beane I trust. 

Personally, I don't worry about bringing in a RB via the Draft who might push Singletary to be better. In fact, from what Beane and McD have done over the last few years, it seems they covet the competition at every position group so it would actually make sense for them to want to put competition in place for Motor. Additionally, and basically everyone else has said it, but we want / need elite talent in every position group and since Beane has done a marvelous job thus far brining in good players for depth, finding the elite talent at ANY position should be the focus. Eventually, that pick pays dividends and let's not forget, one of Kelly's best receivers was Thomas for all those years. 

Give Josh and the Offense more weapons, let the OC / McD figure out how to use them all. You could see a 5 wide set with two RBs or 4 wide set with two RBs and one in the backfield. Either way, get the elite / great talent on the field whatever the position is, and the team will get better. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m probably going to regret this post as it even sounds dumb in my head to a degree, but that’s means it’s perfect for the offseason. 

There’s a lot of talk about the Bills getting a RB in rounds 2-4 in April’s draft.  In recent years, your top 3 runningbacks might fall into that range and there’s some serious studs in this years draft.  

With that....

Does anyone worry about bringing in a guy that could also be a full blown, every down back in with Singletary?   I am of the camp that RB’s need to get into a rhythm throughout a game.  Look at Derrick Henry.  He doesn’t just knock people over out of the gate.  He builds abs builds until he starts busting off long runs in the second half.  

Also, I worry about confidence to a certain degree.  Motor isn’t a seasoned vet.  You want people out there who know they are “the guy”.

That’s pretty much all I’ve got.  Feel free to tell me how they are all millionaires and there’s no crying in baseball  

I don't believe RBs like Derrick Henry get better late in the game because of rhythm.

I believe he gets better because the defense gets worn down trying to tackle him.

Years ago, this was a common strategy for coaches and offensive coordinators.  Keep pounding the ball (establish the run) with a big/powerful back, even if you are only getting 2-3 yards per carry.  Because once you hit the 4th Quarter those carries will often become 4-5 yards per carry.  Tennessee is one of the few teams applying this principal in today's NFL.

I think Sean McDermott/Brian Daboll often tried to establish the run last year, using Frank Gore to close out games.  But by the end of the year, it was Gore who was out of gas by the 4th Quarter.  Not the opposing defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

With that....

I don't think anyone should be surprised if they do draft a running back.  they didn't really bring anyone of note in through free agency, and while singletary is quite a talent, he's abysmal at holding onto the football.  you keep giving the ball away in key situations, and you'll find yourself very quickly a nice spot on special teams.  That simply cannot be overlooked.

• Like (+1) 1

I wouldn't mind seeing a rookie drafted at all. I want to see our British rugby star out there practicing this summer too. Maybe Yeldon deserves some more reps.  Bottom line is, put bodies out there on the field to compete. Whoever earns the right to play in practice, will end up dressing on game day.  The best way to ensure success is making sure you have as many options as possible to choose from and letting them battle it out.

• Like (+1) 2

I dont see us drafting dobbins, taylor , or swift in the 2nd round. I seriously doubt we go rb before round 3 this draft. 

I keep looking for any poster here to add in pass protection/blitz pick up as a attribute for drafting the rb they want. Pass pro mistakes kept yeldon on the bench for most of the year. Yeldon was terrible at blitz pick up for us. D. Freeman (atl) is also terrible at blitz pick up.

Personally I'd love getting Akers in the 3rd possibly trading by down from our 2nd rd pick to the early mid 3rd. 

AJ Dillon and Antonio Gibson are my other hopefuls from 3rd to 5th rd . Seriously if McBeane think that Z. Moss is their guy but only rank him 128 on their overall board. Why would they take a different rb in the 2nd OR even take Moss before the 4th round in that scenario.

One other point I'd like to make is just because 90% of the board has little to no faith in Christian Wade stepping up this season. Doesnt mean the ACTUAL people (Mc'beane) dont already know that he WILL be able to handle that responsibility easily.

It will be very interesting to see what our FO does with this position going foward.

Either way in Mc'Beane i trust.

Go Bills

• Like (+1) 1

This is year 3, the Go For It year for Beaner, our QB doesn't take up $30M off our cap yet and we have seen what that does to teams like Seattle, GB, Detroit etc.   It can impair your ability to get free agents and keep your studs.

With that in mind, I think we may see a little more tendency to draft for need than pure BPA simply because there are only a few spots a rookie can help us win games this season.  Our entire offense is returning plus a great new receiver who is worth 100 targets.  

Last year our offense looked (roughly) like this: 500 throws by josh, who also ran 100 times, and we handed off about 350 times, Motor getting 150 of those carries.  He didn't play the full season, so likely Daboll is looking at getting the kid 200 handoffs this year.  He has to. No RB in the world with over 150 carries last year had a better yard per carry than Singletary.  Not Derrick Henry, Saquon, McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook--nobody.  

That leaves room for a 100-125 carry RB2, which will be a big piece of our puzzle this year.  The guy will be roughly 10% of our offense, a perfect rookie role and the only way I see a new kid helping us win on offense.  There are longshots at RT, maybe TE2, but I think Beaner will be going RB for the 1st offensive draft pick for this reason.  We need a sharp kid who can protect and run hard, be ready to go on opening day.

Aaaaaand thats where you look to Astro for answers.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Devin's sweet spot is 12 to 15 carries. So I have no concern about bringing in a guy who can take another 15. 

This is where I'm at too, though I'd say touches. If John Brown wants to throw him a TD that's just fine. 12 touches seems to be peak efficiency for him.