Prescience

Foxx

the question is a simple one.

do you believe in prescience? ESP? the ability to foresee the future?

ever have déjà vu?

are humans on the whole, prescient? maybe some are while others are not? perhaps we all are yet only some are able to sense it?

what say you.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Foxx said:

ever have déjà vu?

are humans on the whole, prescient? maybe some are while others are not? perhaps we all are yet only some are able to sense it?

what say you.

All over again.
(couldn't resist)

• Haha (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Foxx said:

ever have déjà vu?

what say you.

Do I believe some people have prescience/psychic abilities? I do. Do I believe everyone who says they're psychic or gifted in that realm? I do not. 

I've seen (a lot of) hucksters in my days in the entertainment world, and seen how they actually got their results. But, I've also seen more than one  honest/real person do some astounding things which I still cannot explain without acknowledging the possibility of true psychic abilities. It only takes one such experience to make you a believer.

Is this psychic ability a universal human talent that is latent in most of the population? Possibly. The US Government certainly seems to believe it's true enough to spend (hundreds of) millions of dollars on research projects designed to tap into this ability. The use of remote viewing and "psychic spies", or their attempted use at the very least, by everyone from the CIA to the USN to DARPA is not so easy to dismiss. Doubly so when you see the programs were not one-offs, but rather extended through decades and multiple independent projects. Is it just government spending and folly run amok? Possibly...

... but doubtful imo. 

My personal belief is that we, as humans, are much more powerful than we realize in many ways. A lot of time, effort, and treasure has been spent throughout the centuries trying to make us forget just how powerful our consciousnesses actually are -- both individually and collectively. But that's me. 

As for deja vu -- one experience when I was young, a really vivid recollection of having been somewhere before while visiting for the first time. It still shakes my dad up talking about it.     

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I believe in the collective consciousness. We are all connected. Whether you believe we came from Adam and Eve, aliens or the primordial ooze we all have the same DNA.  So hence the connection. I’ve always wondered why many people and places in my dreams are of people I don’t know or places I’ve never been. They are the memories of those who came before me. 

?

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

ever have déjà vu?

what say you.

No.....

latest?cb=20080916000813

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Do I believe some people have prescience/psychic abilities? I do.

Do I believe you believe in a lot of dumb things?  I do.

Is it any surprise our resident conspiracy go-getters also believe in this...nonsense.  lol

Edited by Crayola64
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Do I believe you believe in a lot of dumb things?  I do.

Is it any surprise our resident conspiracy go-getters also believe in this...nonsense.  lol

I knew you'd be a douche about a fun topic.  Is that prescience?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 12
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

IMO if you have never experienced any of these yourself, it's easy to doubt. If you have experienced any of them, it's something you will never forget.

I think the one most common would be the sense of dread. Such as, the phone rings, and you may instantly know that it's to relay news that a particular person just passed away (even if they may not have had any known conditions).

Again, IMO, most times these types of things may have a very personal undertone, to such a degree that one may never admit that it happened other than to close confidants.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I believe that there are things we experience that we can't explain, but until I personally experience something truly compelling, I remain skeptical. 

Edited by Azalin
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think I’ve experienced the sensation of deja vu before when I was much younger.

Recently I thought I did again, but realized it was just that I had seen the same Mike Lindel My Pillow commercial ten times in the space of one hour. 

• Haha (+1) 3

The best and most plausible explanation for déjà vu is that there is a delay (of microseconds) between what the left brain and right brain see and this is interpreted as having seen it before.  I want to say I read it in Joseph Heller's book "Catch-22."

As for the other stuff, I do believe there are multiple universes and that when we die we enter another one, which sometimes can be the same one, and people can remember what's happened before and that's why people can see the future.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Back when I was in the Air Force I had a strange thing happen. My buddy was away TDY (temporary duty) and was expected back soon. Not a super great friend, just one of our crew. So I took a quick nap, and had a dream he walked into the room through the door way from the left hand side. It was just a quick nap, got up walked down the hall way to the day room and was watching TV when he walked into the room in the same way I dreamed it. Coincidence? Who knows. 

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't have a good relationship with my father when I was young and we had no communication with each other for over thirty years. I wanted to have some kind of relationship with him before he died, so, I reconnected with him. Unfortunately, by that point he was suffering from vascular dementia and we didn't have a chance to truly reconcile. He passed away a short time later. My wife knew how much I struggled in reconciling things with my father and believed I might find some comfort and peace visiting a medium.

I had never done anything like that before (or since) and I had always been skeptical of anything in that realm because I hadn't experienced it myself. I went to a medium recommended by someone and didn't even give my correct last name when I made the appointment. She had no information about who I was and, during the session, I literally gave her no help at all - poor woman. The amazing thing is, she spoke about my father at length and described him and our relationship (particularly when I was young) in the kind of detail, and in such a way, that I believed she was genuine. I still have the recording and listen to it now and then. My wife was right, it did bring me some comfort and peace.

I used to be skeptical of prescience/psychic abilities or experiences unless there was empirical evidence it was possible. Now, I believe it is possible until I am presented with empirical evidence that it is not.

27 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Back when I was in the Air Force I had a strange thing happen. My buddy was away TDY (temporary duty) and was expected back soon. Not a super great friend, just one of our crew. So I took a quick nap, and had a dream he walked into the room through the door way from the left hand side. It was just a quick nap, got up walked down the hall way to the day room and was watching TV when he walked into the room in the same way I dreamed it. Coincidence? Who knows. 

As a fellow Air Force alum, when did you serve?

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I didn't have a good relationship with my father when I was young and we had no communication with each other for over thirty years. I wanted to have some kind of relationship with him before he died, so, I reconnected with him. Unfortunately, by that point he was suffering from vascular dementia and we didn't have a chance to truly reconcile. He passed away a short time later. My wife knew how much I struggled in reconciling things with my father and believed I might find some comfort and peace visiting a medium.

I had never done anything like that before (or since) and I had always been skeptical of anything in that realm because I hadn't experienced it myself. I went to a medium recommended by someone and didn't even give my correct last name when I made the appointment. She had no information about who I was and, during the session, I literally gave her no help at all - poor woman. The amazing thing is, she spoke about my father at length and described him and our relationship (particularly when I was young) in the kind of detail, and in such a way, that I believed she was genuine. I still have the recording and listen to it now and then. My wife was right, it did bring me some comfort and peace.

I used to be skeptical of prescience/psychic abilities or experiences unless there was empirical evidence it was possible. Now, I believe it is possible until I am presented with empirical evidence that it is not.

As a fellow Air Force alum, when did you serve?

Along time ago in a Cold War far, far away...The late 80's. 

So I'm guessing you were in during the 70's? 

• Like (+1) 1